“"Quiet but Convenient"”

Ranked #252 of 1,290 Hotels in Rome
Aiken, South Carolina
“"Quiet but Convenient"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

We had numerous communications via e-mail prior to our trip and the staff couldn't have been more helpful and reassuring. Once we arrived they continued to answer our unending questions and provided us with directions and a wonderful restaurant recommendation. Rooms were adequate and very clean. The beds were very comfortable and the bathrooms were large although there was a big step into the tub/shower. Breakfast was provided and was more that adequate.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Diego, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

As a loyal Rick Steve's guidebook reader, my wife and I stayed at the Aberdeen Hotel during our initial visit to Rome twelve years ago. At that time, we found this hotel to be a hidden gem offering a good location near the train terminal. Given our past experience, we booked a night there recently at the beginning of our three week trip to Tuscany. Unfortunately, the hotel was not quite up the the standards we previously remembered. The mattress, for one, was extremely soft and offered no back support whatsoever. As a result, my wife and I both woke up with back pain from sleeping on the apparently very worn mattresses. My wife also suffered minor burns from trying to hold the duct taped hairdryer hose in place while blow drying her hair. When she informed the staff about this, they just laughed it off. While I normally place very high value on Rick Steve's recommendations, this is one case where I would definitely disagree with him. There are many other options in Rome for the same price that are much better (see my A View of Rome Review where we stayed on our return from Tuscany at the end of our trip).

3 Thank SoCalWanderer
Middletown, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Aberdeen for two weeks in May and June of 2013 and loved it as usual. Anna Maria, Mariano, Costel, Matteo, Alberto Livio and Cinzia were all very helpful and I now consider them good friends. I like the location as it is right near the train station and very central to everything else.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank TomS0818
Wakefield, New Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

On a quiet side street, entered through a common courtyard. Front desk staff very helpful and room was small but typical and bedwas comfortable . Breakfast was very adequate, but breakfast room is pretty crowded. Wifi was not very reliable, Fine little restaurant right across the street/

2 Thank NHwanderer
Maryland, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

I don't really understand why this place has rather high reviews. I was looking for something reasonably priced near termini for a quick last night before our flight home and I guess it mostly met that - although I'd say it's rather pricey for what you get. Pretty sure we paid for an actual double bed and got two awkward twins pushed together-common in Europe I know, but ugh. It was about what I'd feared - a little difficult to find, kind of grubby, and dated. The room was small and stuffy, even with air on and I didn't feel comfortable leaving the window open on a ground floor facing the street. Bed very thin with prominent springs; a fair bit of street noise. Desk staff was friendly and helpful. We left too early to try breakfast. A disappointing end to our trip.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NNew13
Huntington Beach, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

I'd like to give a better review of the Aberdeen, as we had high hopes for it when planning our trip. But, there are just enough negatives to say that the hotel didn't live up to our expectations. While it certainly wasn't horrible, we wouldn't stay here again next time we're in Rome. We chose the hotel based on the reviews here and because it is a longstanding recommendation of Rick Steves (with special rates for his readers).

The location is great, near the Termini train station and even nearer to the Metro stop and taxi stand at Piazza Repubblica. Plus, most attractions are within easy walking distance, with fascinating things to look at in every direction. Right across the street is a great restaurant called simply Snack Bar, which I thought was incredible (in fact, I would have eaten every meal there if I had my way). Lots of other "bars" and restaurants are also nearby.

The staff here was great - very friendly and talkative, and even the maids greeted us when they saw us. The included breakfast was pretty good - cold cuts, cheese, various pastries, yogurt, and some questionable-tasting juices.

Our room - 49 - was near the breakfast room, and there is a lot of noise in the mornings. We were getting up at 7:00 AM, but the noise started around 5:00 AM, and was amplified by the tile floors and hard surfaces in the hallways. Our room was good-sized, and had a little balcony overlooking a tiny little courtyard (very nice). It had high ceilings, and a lot of potential. But, it had a marble tile floor and one little picture on the wall. Other than that, the walls were bare, and every little noise was amplified many times. It was like living in a big empty room, and made it difficult even to have a conversation. There were apartments above us, and there were young kids up there running around and screaming until midnight each night.

The bathroom had a heated towel rack that didn't work, and it had a horrible humidity problem. The shower was very powerful, but there was no curtain (it was a tub/shower combination with a single pivoting glass panel to block the water - apparently typical in Rome), and we could never figure out how to take a shower without drenching the whole bathroom. Also, there was no mirror except in the bathroom, which made it difficult for two people to get ready in the morning.

There's a computer and printer available for guests to use, but both are slow. When I tried to check us in for our return flights, the computer took forever. But, the printer (an older inkjet) was just ridiculously slow. As my boarding pass was printing, I noticed that one of the cartridges must have been empty, because, after waiting all that time, my pass printed out in an unusable faded manner, and I just had to throw it away (along with the time I spent checking in).

So, location gets five stars, staff gets five stars, but room gets three stars. Maybe we just got unlucky with the worst room in the hotel, but I would rate this hotel around three-and-a-half stars. It's a good bargain, but I'm sure there are better choices in Rome.

Room Tip: Do not be anywhere near the breakfast room!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
West Covina, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

It is one of Rick Steve's recommended hotels in Rome. I love the hotels proximity to Republicca, coffee shops and shops. The breakfast is so and so, cheese meat, yogurts, juice, coffee and stale bread. But other than this I will stay in this hotel again when I get back to Rome.

Room Tip: The reception is one flight of stairs, keep this in mind if you travel with heavy luggage.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends