“Great value and location. Large clean room with a wonderful staff”
Review of Aberdeen Hotel

Aberdeen Hotel
Ranked #249 of 1,256 Hotels in Rome
“Great value and location. Large clean room with a wonderful staff”
Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Aberdeen in October. A lovely quiet hotel close to termini station and the metro. Walking distance to the colosseum and many other sites. We walked almost everywhere. The hotel was clean and the staff was amazing!! The wonderful staff helped us figure out how to use the public transportation and always greeted us with a smile. Breakfast was good. Standard Italian hotel breakfast with fruits, yogurt and pastries. The staff made us delightful cappuccino in the morning. The room was large and clean with a wonderful balcony. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Bort2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Stayed here for one night as it came highly recommended by a family member. The location is excellent...right off Via Nazionale, walking distance to Termini, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain and some more tourist attractions. They have free wi-fi in all the rooms which is an added bonus for tourists. The only reason why I gave them 4 stars instead of 5 is that the rooms are a bit dated...but still extremely clean and well maintained. English speaking staff are very helpful. Breakfast is adequate to set you up for all things touristy! I can definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WorldTraveller0502
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed December 12, 2012

This was my second visit to the Aberdeen hotel, a three star hotel centrally located in Rome. The metro stop, Termini Station and Via Nazionale are all nearby. Some of Rome's main attractions like Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Colosseum, Maria Maggiore and Panteon are all in walking distance. The English speaking staff is very helpful, as always. The room, breakfast area and hallways were clean, we got fresh towels every day and the simple breakfast is good for a hotel in this price range.

In my last review, I gave the hotel a three star rating. I must give them four stars now, although he hotel itself didn't change that much. I still think the interior is a bit outdated, but who cares when you get a nice and clean hotel on a good location for a very good price. The big plus since my last visit in 2011 is that the guests finally can use an elevator nowadays. Also, there is free wifi in all rooms instead of just one computer down the hallway. Both big plusses for me, that's why I think they deserve another star extra.

I can recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to visit Rome.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank appelsap a
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed December 1, 2012

We had a very nice stay at the Aberdeen Hotel. We had stayed there in 2003 and enjoyed the location which is very convenient to public transport and also to the train station where we could drop off our rental car. It really can't be beat -- you can take the express train from Fiumicino right into Termini Centrale and then easily walk to the hotel with your bags. Then return to Centrale to pick up your rental car if you are heading out into the countryside.

The staff at the hotel are very friendly, helpful and professional with no exceptions. They now have someone to help with your baggage which was not available on our last visit.

The rooms vary in size and it helps to ask for a room that is far from the breakfast room because it can be noisy in that corridor with dishes clanging. We wondered why they hadn't redesigned that area so that the tiny kitchen/prep area does not open up directly on a hallway with rooms. It should open onto the dining area instead which would help prevent all the noise from traveling down the hallway.

The hotel has been redesigned since our 2003 stay and baths are all up to date. Nothing luxurious but spacious enough, tidy, super clean and functional. The breakfast buffet is not large, but sufficient with cheese, breads, etc and the yogurt and muesli cereal we like, although not much in the way of fresh fruit (there is a great fruit stand on Via Nazionale just 5 min walk from hotel) The coffee could definitely be better but who doesn't enjoy an espresso out on the street in a little corner shop anyway?

One suggestion to management would be to provide more seating in the general lobby (which is down a short hallway from reception) and internet room. If you're in Rome for any amount of time, you need a place to relax and read in the afternoon. The lounge/lobby area is plenty big, they just need to provide a couple of new sofas with decent support instead of the one 20+ year old thing that is there!

All in all, this is a very reasonable place to stay with plenty of restaurants within walking distance, 5 minute walk to buses that go anywhere and about 10 min walk to Metro and Termini. Prices go down Nov 1 and it can be a real bargain. With professional, friendly staff, on a quiet street, it really was perfect for us.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nanapapa-6
bedford
Reviewed November 27, 2012

The hotel was perfect,clean and very well equiped.The staff and the room was absolutely fantastic.Our room faced the street and the traffic noise was a little loud but nothing that keept us up at night.Excellent for a couple ,family..Couple of nice restaurants close by.I would recommend it highly!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Stayed here with my husband and his two sons at the beginning of November. I agree with everyone who said it's in a good location, close to the termini and very clean. I chose it because of Rick Steves' rave reviews. I guess he didn't get the room we got. Our family checked in early in the day, but I made the mistake of not checking the bed until we got back to the hotel much later that evening (about 6 30 pm). Upon investigation, we determined that the bed was your basic camp or army-type bed, with old fashioned metal webbing and a thin, ropey mattress. It made a lot of grating noise every time we got up from it, plus it was the most uncomfortable bed I've ever slept in. I immediately complained to the night desk clerk, who was incredulous that I would complain, and then informed me that there was nothing he could do about it. My husband and I suffered in this awful bed for a night. One of the owners (I recognised her from the Rick Steves article they have framed near the computer room) came in the next morning, agreed with us that the bed was awful and claimed that she had it removed. They upgraded us to a "superior" room, which basically meant that there wasn't a camp bed to deal with. The mattress on that bed was incredibly hard but we didn't complain, we just endured it for a couple of nights, and then gratefully left for the US, after 2 weeks (of mostly wonderful times) in Italy. I agree with another reviewer who says the place is noisy from the streets, so if you want a quiet room, you may have to get lucky. On the plus side, it was nicer than sleeping at a youth hostel or in the train station, so that was good. Breakfast OK, nothing very special just the usual choices. Staff OK, if you don't count the evening clerk who told me that it was too late to do anything about it (huffily) or the morning clerk who told me the bed was fine because no one else had ever complained about it. At least the owner had the good sense to agree that it was a terrible bed. I will recommend this hotel to others (because of its location), but I doubt whether we would return. We did take photos of the bed, and will try and share them.

Room Tip: Check the beds immediately upon entering the room.