“Great service and surroundings....”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Celio Hotel

Celio Hotel
Ranked #545 of 1,290 Hotels in Rome
WV
“Great service and surroundings....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2007

This has been the 6th time we have ended our trips to Italy with a stay at the Hotel Celio. As always, the staff is extremely accommodating and helpful. We have had the pleasure of seeing the hotel grow over the years and are constantly amazed at the beautiful rooms and overall appearance of the property. We will never hesitate to stay at the Celio and can not understand why others have complained about the hotel.

• Liked — The quiet room....
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank mriviell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Shepherdstown, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2007

Date: October 22, 2007
Reviewer: A TripAdvisor Member, Shepherdstown, WV USA
Just back from our 7th stay at the exquisite Hotel Celio. Roberto and his staff always make us feel very welcome, comfortable, safe, and secure. No request is ever denied and they always do their best to recommend good restaurants and things to do and see in the eternal city. The décor of the Celio never ceases to amaze me. It is tastefully decorated down to the most discriminating detail. If you travel very much across Italy, you will very much appreciate the utilization of every inch of available space in the former Roman Mansion and the fastidious renovations that have been done. The Celio is like a delicate jewel box to be appreciated for its unassuming atmosphere and its prominent location near one of the world’s most recognizable structures, the Roman Colosseum.

• Liked — Comfort
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank TineLouise
london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2007

Totally overpriced hotel, you pay for the location. The rooms we had, 260 euro per night, were ridiculously small and bared no comparison to the pictures on the website. Tiny bathrooms and rude staff. Do not book if you can help it

Stayed September 2007
13 Thank Topolino89
Northampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2007

Booked this hotel as a surprise for my wife for our silver wedding anniversary in March 2007.
Great location!! Yes, you can see the Colleseum from the roof garden. Approx 200 metres yet far enough away not to get too much traffic noise.
If only I had read the reviews here on Trip Advisor before I booked it last November!
The Celio is 'compact'. Our ground floor room was rediculously small, the bathroom not much bigger than you'd expect on an aircraft! Shame, as the place has all the potential to live up to the grand facade but it sadly fails to deliver. We didn't pay budget prices, but we were there to enjoy Rome, which we definetly did, so we made the most of the place. Breakfast was just about acceptable and almost laughably served in the tiny courtyard under a gazebo. If we'd have been spending more than 2 nights there, or had other guests with us, I'd have been looking to move hotels. We have, however, been married 25 years and our sense of humour prevailed.
Rome is fabulous, though I have to say we were disappointed to see so much graffiti around the place.
We found a superb little wine bar/restaurant just around the corner from the Celio. Reasonably priced and superb service. If only I could remember its name. I'll get back to this post soon as I do!
So, if staying at The Celio, keep an open mind, don't expect too much or plan to spend too much time in your room!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — small, drak room & bathroom
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Roger_and_Daphne
Seattle, WA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2007

My first room had bugs and very noisy. The owner/staff was quite unfriendly and not at all helpful. I found the rooms (the one with out the bugs) small and the bath too small to turn around in and I am a little person. I felt unwelcome in the common area when the owner and his wife were there using the area.

I was shipping my luggage back to the US and the owners' comment was " I can't be responsible for your luggage". This was after I told him Fed EX was to pick up my luggage the day I left. This is just a sample of some of the details of my stay. All in all I would pay extra to have helpful friendly service and clean rooms.

• Liked — Was close to colussum
  • Disliked — Owner, room
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
12 Thank merryo1
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2007

The Celio is in an amazing location, the backdrop of the colliseum is marvellous. The hotel itself however is awful considering how expensive it was.

Good points - nice mosaic floor, clean, good bed.

Bad points - The bathroom was so small, I am a size 14 - any heavier and I could not have got into the bathroom. A man if he so wished could pee, brush his teeth and shower his right leg at the same time. Ridiculous.

There were no niceties, brochures, tips, recommendations, not even a box of tissues.

Breakfast - was in a tent in the courtyard & and that is being generous. (4 m by 4m) Breakfast was stale bread and croissant. Not what we had anticipated.

Staff were incredibly rude, and made you feel as if you shouldn't be taking up precious space in the hotel. Rude & unhelpful.

Would never recommend this hotel or return to it. Such a shame, and an expensive waste of money.

Stayed March 2007
11 Thank clare.bacon
london
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2007

My partner and I went to Rome for our joint birthday's in early Jan '07. Whilst the hotel was very nicely furnished, I'd have swapped that for a more helpful staff and the ability to have a cup of tea after long sight seeing trips! There was merely a dismissive "no" when tea was requested at 8.15pm. They claim the rooms are 'spacious' - they are not, with enough room to walk around the bed and thats it ! The breakfast was very poor also. Its a shame as clearly a lot of thought has gone into selecting the antiques, decor and the location is good, - shame the staff weren't selected with the same care.

Stayed January 2007