“Quite Little Place”

New Jersey USA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Quite Little Place”
Reviewed April 19, 2012

Off the beaten path, small place about 7 to 8 tables. Family run. Been there on 3 different trips to Rome and always felt at home. Homemade food, no rush to turn the tables. I recomended it to 2 other friends who both went to Rome and they enjoyed it.

• Visited April 2012

Oakton, Virginia
“A very bad experience”
Reviewed April 9, 2012

We spotted this place near the Trevi Fountain and were drawn in by a Trip Advisor sticker on the door and what seemed to be a pleasant place on a "back alley". It appears to be run by a husband and wife team. The wife took our order. On of the antipasti was mussels in tomato sauce. The mussels came out and were way overcooked and extremely salty. We ate a few left many. My wife and son's entrees came out. My son had Veal Picatta. It looked like it was boiled meat, but I had a bite and it tasted bland, but edible. Nothing special. I had ordered a grilled fish. My wife and son were almost done with their meals, so I asked about the fish, starting to wonder if she misunderstood and was preparing fish for all of us. No, she said, the fish is coming very soon. She went into the kitchen and could be heard yelling at the cook. After well over an hour, the fish came out. It looked barely cooked, but I peeled back the skin and started to eat the meat from the tail. By the time I got to the body, I discovered that the inside of the fish near the backbone was dead raw and ice cold. I showed this to the husband and he shook his head and snatched it up and took it into the kitchen. Another 30 minutes later, the fish was brought back out with the bone removed and the uncooked parts mostly separated. The husband said he fixed it himself...not so reassuring. Still, there were spots that were raw. I ate a few bites and decided it was not worth the risk of getting sick to eat any more.

I should mention that the wife, by this time, had stopped even looking in our direction, as if we were causing her some problem. She was talking about us in Italian to the people at the table next to us. My wife literally had to block her way in order to get the check. She seemed to be angry at us for some reason; the only thing we had a real problem with was the raw fish...we never said anything else about the other sub-par food.

The bill came and the fish was on it. I saved the bill to prove it. The husband offered to make up the poor experience with a free grappa or limoncello. No thanks. We paid and were on our way.

On the way out the door, the wife gave us another sour look, and my wife told her she was rude. I travel a lot and have had some sketchy meals, but this was the worst I have ever experienced anywhere in the world. Terrible food and a surly hostess. I would advise to avoid this place. I was awake half the night worrying that I would be sick; fortunately I have a strong constitution.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Freebeer12
Grimsby, United Kingdom
“Fab little gem”
Reviewed April 6, 2012

We went in March to Rome and stumbled across this little gem , food was fantastic a great deal to to choose from and cooked fresh . Just a few minutes away from the hustle and bustle around the Trevi fountain area.
Highly recommend to anyone

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank carolb429
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Authentic great value Italian, Warm people”
Reviewed November 10, 2011

This is just 300 meters from the Trevi fountain but is different from many of the touristy restaurants we have noticed in our last few months living in Rome.

This place is family run - we saw the owners, and their son was our waiter. He was very kind and attentive, and spoke english well.

The food was good value and very authentic. My wife had a ham and melon starter which was very generous and excellent quality. I had an italian bean soup which was also excellent, hearty, traditional food. Our pasta dishes were both good.

Pricing was about 20 Euros each including a drink, starter, and main. This is a mid level restaurant delivering great service, excellent value, and an authentic experience.

It has perhaps 10 tables inside, and 3 or 4 nicely set in a small cobbled square.

• Visited October 2011
western Norway
“Cosy little restaurant with good food and service”
Reviewed September 21, 2011

This restaurant lies in a narrow street between palazzo quirinale og the Trevi Fountain. Nice and quiet, just a few tables outside. Very good pasta, and the couple who seemed to run the place offered good service. The prices was ok too.

• Visited September 2011

Been to La Rosa? Share your experiences!