“resonable cld pork sandwich” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of I Porchettoni di Pigneto - CLOSED

I Porchettoni di Pigneto
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Timisoara, Romania
“resonable cld pork sandwich”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I went to try this place since my hotel was in the area and read about it. Also becouse it is a roman dish and wanted to try it.
I did not went into the actual place. The were also serving it from a window in the street, so it was fine by me. All I wanted was to taste the pork.
Turned out to not be my thing but it was fairly wel served, and the guy was ok. I don't remember the price but it was pretty cheap. In the 2 Euro range or something like that.

• Visited January 2013

Syracuse, New York
“BEST pork roast I have ever eaten, EVER - PERFECT”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

I stayed in a neighborhood while in Rome, and I took a walk around the neighborhood. This was the closest place to me. I went for lunch, and it was the best decision I made on the whole trip. It was difficult to understand the owner and the menu, but with my French and Spanish knowledge, I could piece together the ingredients he was offering. The pork roast was obvious, because it is the first thing you see on display. He also offered some local cheese, which I still do not know what they are, and they were FANTASTIC. They were soft, fresh, white cheeses, one of which was still warm. Man oh man... fantastic. Near as I can tell, the pork was seasoned with rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper. That's it. It was perfect. The skin was perfectly crunchy. The olive oil he used to finish his roasted vegetables with was to die for... still the best the entire 2 weeks I was in Italy. The wine was OK, but I'm not complaining, as it is not touted as a wine bar.

A couple of tips. The pork comes out fresh at noon, and just sits under a hot lamp the rest of the day, so noon is the best time to eat there. Second, apparently there are some universities nearby, because at night the area is SWAMPED, so finding a seat is tough. They only offer picnic table style seating inside, and tables outside.

All you can possibly eat and drink for less than 20 Euros.

• Visited May 2013
Bournemouth
“Really nice proper Italian environment”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

It was a really nice experience, the hotel we were staying is near by and the receptionist has recommended other fancy places, which I researched first and I found not very good reviews and expensive prices (primo al pigneto - necci dal 1924). So after a little research of the area we have found this place. The service was really nice please don't expect any fancy tables or plates, and the waiter sits down with you (nearly on your knee). The waiter recommended us the starter: buffalo mozzarella with pork and crispy skin (lovely) after we had a delicious pasta, beautiful flavour, tiramisu, coffee, liquor.. Everything for 40 euros. This is our best experience so far after being ripped off from restaurants in Rome with 20% service charge (near the coliseum) and can of cokes for €5. This places was Our nice Italian experience and it is recommended for A. Burdain. Grazie!

• Visited January 2013
Venice, Italy
“pork is cold - and skin not so crispy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

It is a trek to find this place - the original location - and then not the simplest thing to get a cab after the meal. It is a charming place- service is kind - but I have had better porchetta on the side of the road when I was driving from Rome to Naples - and it was warm and the skin was so crispy -- I still am dreaming of that experience! I'm sorry - Anthony steered me wrong on this one. I didn't try the pastas - but this place is known for its pork, so making the trek for the specialty dish??? I don't suggest it.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank NICKIE D
Bridgeport, Connecticut
“...mmm...porchetta...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

This place is absolutely incredible. If you go to Rome, you must stop here for a bite. Easily the best thing I have ever eaten; my husband and I could not stop talking about it for the remainder of the trip...and are still talking about it today. We were having a hard time ordering anything other than the porchetta due to our spotty Italian speaking abilities, so the chef made some suggestions and brought us some porchetta, buffalo mozzarella, some other mozzarella, bread, and some sort amazing pepperoni type meat (no idea what it was, but it was delicious). And Peroni. We hung out on the picnic table outside and enjoyed. Man, I could go for some right now.

• Visited June 2012