“Be afraid, be very afraid!”
Review of Hotel Marcus

Hotel Marcus
Ranked #1,054 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Melbourne
“Be afraid, be very afraid!”
Reviewed October 3, 2007

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in! The toilet seat broke, the curtains fell down when I pulled them across and the bed sheets were filthy! We were given another room but the air-conditioning did'nt work and the 'phone was dead. In the end we went to another hotel, despite having paid 6 nights in advanace. This place was so bad that it was allmost funny! Basil Faulty eat your heart out! Australian Visitor to Rome

Stayed July 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Australia
Reviewed September 9, 2007

Our stay at the Marcus Hotel was terrible!! The location was very good but we dreaded going back to our hotel room. There was an unbearable smell that would come form the drain pipes in the bathroom. We old management about it and they didnt care...they just said its common in souch old buildings.
The shower was too small and you can hardly move (i am a thin person) The overall cleanliness of the hotel was not good!! Very dissapointing for the price we paid. i would not recommend this place.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

NYC
Reviewed August 25, 2007

The hotel was sold to us based on price and location, but Rome is small enough that no matter where you stay you're within a short taxi, metro or walk away from the major sites. The front desk at the Marcus, which has a frighteningly small elevator, is useless and gruff.

Yes, they serve breakfast in the morning but who the hell cares. The rooms are tiny, there are dangerous, poorly lit stairs to get both into the hotel as well as your room.

AC in our room did not work; had to leave window open. Shower had mold all over the curtains and the water spilled into room -- the bathroom is the size of a garment bag.

Thankfully we only had to stay in the room for one night -- that said, you can do just as well for price anywhere else. This place was uglier than hostels I've stayed in and paid way less for.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — THe place is a dump. Stay away.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
Canada
Reviewed June 10, 2007

We stayed at this hotel in May 2007. It was the worst hotel I ever stayed in and I have travelled to many places. The young desk clerk was so horrible and unpleasant that I would have checked out immediately except that I had already paid. The good location does not mean much given how easy and close things are in Rome and the subway is great. Please do not ignore the reviews - this hotel and staff are horrible.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The front desk staff
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John039
Edinburgh Scotland
Reviewed May 20, 2007

After paying in full for 5 nights at the Marcus we arrived late at night to be shown to a room with gaping holes in the ceiling no wardrobe or drawers to put your clothes and a complete lack of care. We refused the room and had another 3 rooms within 2 days. the bed sheets had been repaired so many times they looked like lace in parts, in one of the rooms there was a smell like an open sewer. If I could have I would found somewhere else put had payed up front.
I can think of no good points for the hotel and would avoid it if you can

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — Too much to list
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jimcam
new york
Reviewed April 5, 2007

Hotel Marcus was absolutely disgusting. After looking at the website and through the pictures I got the impression that it was much nicer and more accomodating than it was. The website made the double room look MUCH bigger than it really was. The manager was extremely rude, our room was unbearably cold, the room had a vile smell, there was absolutely no walking space in a double room. no phones in the room...It was quite possibly one of the worst hotels I have stayed at and I have been traveling all over Europe.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank stayc21
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2007

My girlfriend and I stayed here from 15th-17th June 06, for a city break in beautiful Rome.

Upon checking in to the hotel Marcus, I know that we had made a wrong decision as all of the public areas looked very tired and the assistant did'nt speek a word of English (I know i'm in their country) and so the whole checking-in proceedure was a bit of a mission.

Anyway when we we're shown our room I was in for a shock. Greeting us from just inside the door was a hideious, multicoloured Spiderman Duvet set! After a few moments of head shaking and a few words of broken Italian, I decided to continue to check out the room. Upon futher inspection of the room I discovered that the toilet was'nt fasterned to the floor, and was free to move about to its hearts content uncovering a gaping hole in the floor. It was now the assistants turn to shake his head and mutter some words in Italian, and we we're moved to the next door room.

This room was was still very tired and a bit shabby, but the toilet worked and there was no sign of Spiderman anywhere.

I know this is a negitive review, and I probably personally would'nt stay there again, however I feel that for people looking for a cheap place to crash, who dont mind about shabby interiors or strange choices of bedlinen, but want a hotel in a fantastic location, then this hotel is pretty much perfect.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Decor and Service
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple