“Wonderful hotel”

Ranked #106 of 1,263 Hotels in Rome
Adelaide, Australia
“Wonderful hotel”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the beautiful Hotel Farnese for 4 nights earlier this month during a 3 week trip to Europe, and have nothing but praise for the hotel and it's staff. As everyone knows an appealing lobby doesn't guarantee a nice room, but in this case it followed through. Our room, number 45, was just beautiful, it was very clean, spacious and tastefully decorated. The bed was very comfortable, appeared to be king sized and the bedlinen was of a high quality. The bathroom too was large by European standards.Though very near a metro stop we walked everywhere as the hotel is well located. The AC was great and the shuttered windows did their job perfectly. I can't compliment the staff enough either, they were very professional and helpful. The delicious breakfast buffet on the rooftop, with views of St Peter's Cupola was made even more special by the attentive, cheerful Gabriella. My only complaint is that we couldn't stay longer, but we will be back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LaurieFM27
FarneseRome, General Manager at Hotel Farnese, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Dear Clients,
We thank you heartily for your positive review
about our hotel and doing so , wanted to share with the
other travelers of Tripadvisor this lovely experience at Hotel
Farnese.When we read reviews so precise , we especially appreciate
that every little attention in the daily management
of our structure is acknowledged by our clients . Our
our daily effort consists in making ones stay unforgettable even in the smallest details
for those who choose to stay with us and when we see that people like you appreciate this we are obviously proud.
I am particularly glad that you mentioned our junior suite
room 45, for the quality of bedding, the size of the bed, the soundproofing of the windows
and not least the beauty and size of the bathroom. actually it is one of our
best rooms and strangely enough ! it is precisely the same in which the
guests who stayed before you, have published their review .
But we know very well how our work is arduous, if not almost
impossible, despite the efforts, to fully meet the needs
of our customers.
We warmly look forward to your next stay in
Rome .

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed from July 11th to the 13th and we are grateful to have spent as little time as possible at the Hotel.
The rooms are worn-out, good location if you are planning to visit Vatican city. The showers are useless, all the water seems to create a pool. The sink and the tub were clogged.
Not a nice Hotel to stay for more than 2 days, if necessary.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Matzara
FarneseRome, Owner at Hotel Farnese, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear client,
We are sincerely most sorry not to have satisfied your expectations
but most importantly not to have received from you any reports or complaints
during your stay with us to inform us of your discomfort. We would
have immediately taken all measures to resolve the problem of the bathroom,
Although the clients prior to you and those after you in the same room
have not made any reports regarding this. Anyhow we have immediately
checked to see if there is anything to be fixed. If you had informed us about
this we would have tried to change your room to a more pleasant one to your satisfaction.
However we thank you for your late complaint and for having chosen us anyhow.
California
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Service from the staff was disappointing and so is our room. First I booked two rooms directly from their website and that's when the first trouble I experienced with their staff. I got the email confirmation of the reservation - check. Then later I received an email about the cancellation of the reservation. I certainly didn't cancel the reservation, so I immediately email back to ask why my reservation got cancelled without any explanation. I did not got response so I inquired again. Then I was told they had trouble charging my credit card. What? if that was the reason, I expected an email or a phone call to verify the credit card with the customer, not just cancel the reservation without given a reason. After several email communication, they reserved our rooms again, but then I could no longer see my reservation online and no more online reservation number. Upon check-in before 1pm, we were told our rooms were not ready, so they stored our luggage and I asked for recommendation of lunch close to the hotel. The staff called the restaurant and told us they had table for us. When we got to the restaurant the staff recommended, I had a very uneasy feeling. On a Saturday, the restaurant was empty with no customers except one table. We still went in and that was a big mistake. That's was the worst food we had in Italy for two weeks and wasn't cheap considering the quality of the food. I ordered "Seafood Salad" but it had only Ragula with pathetic soggy tiny shrimp. That was also the worst shrimp I have ever had. I don't know if the restaurant had any deal with the hotel but seriously I wouldn't ask for recommendations again. After lunch, one of our rooms was ready, it was on the main floor next to public restroom. It had two beds so our kids got that room with nice size bathroom. Then our other room on the 2nd floor was ready. The room was right next to the elevator. As I'm a light sleeper I always request room far away from elevator. I was also shocked to see how tiny the bathroom is. Even one person will find it very small to be able to barely turn around in the bathroom. We had the worst room on the 2nd floor. I went to the front desk to ask for a location change of the room away from the elevator. I was told no room was available for change. Well, of course. They had lost the information I put in my original online reservation that this was my 50th birthday trip. Instead of getting an upgrade which some hotels will kindly offer, I got a downgrade at the Farnese. The only pluses are it's near Metro station and clean.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank milku
FarneseRome, Manager at Hotel Farnese, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear customers,
We are sorry for your dissatisfaction of our hotel, but at the same time we would like to underline the following: clients did not provided us with a valid credit card at the time of booking, and of course, only after trying it, we realized this. At that point we ,as is the practice explained very clearly through e mails that the reservation could not be kept on standby because the card was not valid. It took as many as 3 e-mails to get the client to provide us with a new valid credit card, this time, and then proceed, to another reservation. in the meantime, of course, the availability of rooms in this period decreased because we are fully booked.
Despite this, however, we were able to meet the demand for a change of rooms the customer who in the meantime had chosen two standard rooms that were allocated on arrival.
Customers had arrived at one pm and found one of the rooms were not ready yet even though the check-in is from 14.30 onwards, as clearly described on the web site. The client requested at the reception a casual restaurant nearby for lunch and we promptly, after a phone call, booked a table as required. At that time, ie, after 13:30 on Saturday, presumably the restaurant was almost empty, because being a weekend in Hot Summer , the city is empty, but the clients were promptly served by the owner (as ascertained by us), that the request for a 'seafood salad, ‘ proposed arugula salad and shrimp, because that was available at that time (the restaurant is not really specialized in fish dishes) we would like to reiterate however that the restaurant in question is where we regularly send our customers (all satisfied ) some of which have also written reviews on trip advisor. We confirm that in all previous reviews our customers thank our reception staff for the excellent restaurant recommendations. On their return from the restaurant customers have found both rooms ready, and as soon as the lady informed us she did like the room on the second floor, although we were fully booked showed her another room on the 4th floor, away from elevator (which was not specified at the moment of reservation ) and with balcony, which was not accepted. maybe the lady does not remember this detail!
Finally, we are amazed that the customer, to celebrate her 50 years, had initially booked two rooms economy, perhaps hoping that the direction would make her an upgrade giving two suites?????? While we respond to this review, the customer is still at the hotel ( and Not stayed in June as described ) and never as in this case we know for sure "we are not a hotel to the level of her highness .”
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We loved this wonderful hotel. The front desk staff is extremely friendly and the hotel itself is fantastic. The building exterior and interior are beautiful, and the rooms are charming. The breakfast is delicious and the upstairs breakfast room provides beautiful views of the neighborhood. Note that this is a charming older building, so if you are looking for California king beds and massive bathrooms like those in the U.S., this is not the place for you. But the Farnese is very comfortable--the rooms and bathrooms are more than adequate, very clean, and comfortable enough to meet our needs. For the price point, we think this is a fabulous hotel. Selfishly, we hope it never gets too popular because we want to keep it as a secret for ourselves!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Last week we spent four nights in Farnese hotel. There were 3 of us (me, my wife and our kid) and it was great.
The Staff (especially ANDREA) were so nice with us. When making a reservation, we requested a quite room and they returned to us immediately and told us that the only remaining triple room is near the elevator. We were in so many hotels and no hotel bothered to inform us about such a thing, so we were very impressed. Eventually we stayed 3 nights in one room and only the last night near the elevator (and it was still very quite - we did not hear the elevator at all).
The room is of a good size, clean and cute. Breakfast on the roof is tasty and wonderful (the lady there is so nice and efficient). Internet worked perfectly. Hotel is located 2-3 minutes from the metro station. The staff were ready to fill all our requests.
We will certainly stay there in our next trip to Rome.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 25, 2013

The Prati district is a great location to see Rome by foot and the Hotel Farnese is well located within Prati. I stayed 3 nights in June in the single room on the lower level. It was elegantly decorated with everything that I needed including a lovely breakfast on the rooftop enclosed terrace, wifi and importantly for Rome...Parking. I had driven in and it was easy to find and navigate. It was good value for money and exceeded my expectations.

Room Tip: If you are a single traveller ( which I was on this leg of my trip) the single room on the lower lev...