“Not recommended!”

Ranked #1,179 of 1,290 Hotels in Rome
Toronto, Canada
“Not recommended!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2012 via mobile

Location is nice if you don't want to walk far. Right down the street from Spanish steps and many shops. This hotel also has free wifi. That's about it for positive things. Negatives...dragging ur luggage down the cobble stone streets isn't fun. Hotel is EXTREMELY hot! The AC is on but not doing much. The higher the floor, the hotter. Elevator doesn't go to top floor. Front desk said get off and take a couple of steps to my room. Try more like a flight of stairs!! I'm able bodied, but for seniors or someone with a disability, this is not acceptable. My toilet wouldn't stop running. Had to run down in my pjs to get help. Was embarrassing. They give you a huge key. And a big heavy keychain. Only hotel I've stayed in that gives you a key not a card. Found one English channel on their tv. No news stations. Stayed at other hotels this week and this wasn't the situation. Hotel is hard to find. Trekking bags in the heat trying to find it wasn't my idea of fun. I did get a complementary 20 minute massage. Girl was very nice but confusion between her and front desk over vouchers. She said I needed it. I ran down. They said I didn't. Over all I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank trixyt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
nj
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

When we arrived at this restaurant in the hotel we choose to dine in the inside area since the outside patio was crowded. When we got seated the only other table inside had a guy openly groping another girl at the same table. The girl was visibly resisting but the guy forced her to the floor. We were so disgusted at the sight we cancelled our order. The waitress and everyone who worked there obviously knew the guy and was initially ignoring his actions, they finally called him by the name 'Roberto' asking him to stop after we complained to the waitress. If I had to guess I'd say the person is the manager or owner of the restaurant. Afterwards, this 'Roberto' then turned to harass our waitress who was got really upset and was visibly crying. Looking around there's literally no good review on this restaurant, so make sure you AVOID THIS PLACE AT ALL COSTS! they doesn't deserve any penny for this action.

5 Thank a b

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

usa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012

The only thing I can say is great location. This hotel is without a doubt the worse hotel I have stayed in. They give themselves a 4 star rating but I would not give them a 1/2 star. The hotel staff were rude and unwilling to listen to or resolve any problems. The air conditioner does not work, the toilet did not flush correctly, the carpets were stained, and the room had the smell of urine. Other guests had the same problems. We were booked for 3 nights but after the first night checked into another hotel. Don't let this hotel spoil your vacation to Italy, stay some where else.

Room Tip: Stay some where else
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Donnie S
kingston, rh
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

The hotel and the restauraunt is run by people from Ukraine. I am unsure if they are legally in Italy. When my daughter, my friend and I went to eat at their so-called "restaurant", we were greeted with nothing but rudeness and attitude. Go to this place ONLY if you are looking for a place to have your vacation spoiled!!! On top of everything, they serve wine in the restaurant of unknown origin and their food is terrible. The staff does not even know their own menu, including and not limited to dishes that are traditional to the part of Rome where they are located! The place is a dump! Be smart and stay away, there are many more places that you are guaranteed a better place. In fact, I believe, that any place is better than this one!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank yulia s
Rosarito, Baja California, Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2012

First of all, the location is FABULOUS. Like living in a movie set about beautiful Rome. You can walk to adorable restaurants, sit outside, listen to the Gypsy accordion player, drink some Frascati and have a magical evening. Walk to the Metro. Window shop in the best shopping area in Rome. Stroll to the Spanish steps and watch the nightly show.
But, whatever you do, DON'T eat at the hotel restaurant. Bad food and worse service. Better places within a two minute walk. The one night we tried to eat there the waitresses walked out and there was a big argument at the bar - great theater but not so great if you're hoping to ever receive your wine or food.
How this hotel got a 4 Star rating is beyond me. There is no real lobby, as advertised, just a sofa and reception desk. Certainly no place to hang out, nor is the bar. This part of the advert is ridiculous. The staff are eager to help, but untrained, and the manager, Mr. Makri, is invisible and unresponsive. In an entire week, during which we repeatedly asked to speak with him, he never called, and apparently only appeared at his hotel ONCE, for 5 minutes. He appears to carry no cell phone, and have no interest in the comfort of his guests.If you have some complaint or problem you can be sure it will NEVER be resolved. We were personally promised, by him, to have BBC television available, and it never was. No one goes to Rome to watch TV, but it can be nice to watch the news while dressing for dinner or getting ready for bed.
The online ad for the hotel still features the spa and the free massages, but the spa is CLOSED. Since we had planned to book massages, this was a disappointment.
The linens are not luxurious, as advertised. Towels are thin and cheap.
The bathroom has an enormous tub but it's so narrow you can't really use it. There is a telephone shower, waaaay up high, but no shower curtain, so using it means everything in the bathroom gets wet. There are NO SHELVES on which to put your toothpaste or night cream - apparently the cool designer never actually stayed in any of his rooms to see how comfortable they might be.
Our room, 302, was dark as a cave, covered in ugly dark brown wall paper. The furniture is cheap and ridiculous - a flimsy wardrobe, a desk with tiny drawers, two teeny end tables. No dresser, no where to put away your underwear or socks. No mirror over the desk and if you want to use it for anything you must pull over a heavy chair. If you wear make up, good luck figuring out where you can put it on. Did I mention the room is like a cave?
There is light from hideous wall panels, and sponge painted "art" any child could produce. I am amazed any real "designer" would want his name associated with this decor.
Breakfast is a nice buffet, but never changes.
I have never stayed in a hotel anywhere that did not have city tourism brochures available at the lobby, but this one doesn't. Bring your own guide book!
Rooms at the front experience a lot of noise from the street, and the a/c is so weak it is hard to sleep with the window closed. Bring a sound machine or ear plugs.
So, don't believe the hype from the web site, and consider what's important to you in your stay in the eternal city.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Melinda B
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

My friend and I have just come back from a 3nt stay here, It was my first time in Rome and I loved it! We consulted TripAdvisor before we booked but the room was a lot smaller than we expected, although it was satisfactory. We requested twin beds but this meant the two single beds were only about 12inches apart. The room was clean and tidy, apart from the carpet needed a good vacuum. The bedroom was modern and they have tried to make this look like a boutique hotel by decorating in black, white and silver, but boutique it isn't. The bathroom, in contrast is decorated far from boutique. The walls AND floor are orange! The fixtures and fittings are modern but they seem to have forgot to decorate it. Clean bathroom but no shower curtain means the water went all over the floor.
Based on the price paid through Expedia meant it was adequate. The main problems were the staff and the noise. Music is played in the corridors all day long and repeats 2 songs loudly, which can be heard in the room. There were only shutters on the windows, no glass, so all outside noise came in. The outside restaurant tables were directly below our window (we were on the 2nd floor in room 201) so the setting up of the tables around 0630/0700hrs and the noise of the restaurant that didn't close until 2am could be heard in the room. The room was very warm and the air-conditioning was barely working, so sleep was only a couple of broken hours each night. I can normal sleep anywhere but the heat and lack of cool air was unbearable when it was 26-29degrees during the day. Being tired made the hours of walking around the city with blisters 10 times harder. The other annoyance was the staff. The house keeping ladies and breakfast waitresses were lovely but the front of house, restaurant and reception staff (with the exception of 1 older man who worked on the evening reception) they were all unfriendly, disinterested, arrogant and didn't know the meaning of the words customer service. You didn't even get a hello when you arrived or when you came down on a morning. Sitting having a relaxing breakfast with the staff vacuuming using the world’s loudest vacuum next to you was very annoying each morning.
This location is excellent and saved the hotel. This location can’t be beaten for the price. The Spanish steps are at the end of the road, just a 2min walk away. You are 2mins from the popular shopping street with all of the top designers. You are central for all of the main tourists sights. Most are within walking distance or you are within walking distance of buses or taxis to get you there. My friend and I walked to all the main Piazzas, The colosseum, St.Peter's Basilica, Trevi Fountain, and more. Location is this hotels best attribute. I wore simple comfy flat ballet pumps each day but ended up with so many blisters that I wish I had ignored fashion and wore trainers.
Would I return to the hotel? If they had a room with good air-conditioning then yes. If I was cooler I could sleep through the noise and the location couldn't be better.

Room Tip: Request a room at the back of the hotel to try to avoid the noise from the restaurant.
1 Thank Gemma W
Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

If you come to this hotel with the right kind of expectations, you will be happy with your choice and enjoy your stay very much. The right kind of expectation being a mediocre hotel in a FABULOUS location, in a reasonable price ( for a city as expensive as rome in the peak of tourist season ). If you're an american and you expect a 4 star hotel in American standards - you will be very disappointed. But bear in mind that this is not some anonymous chain hotel on a New jersey high way - this is a hotel in one of the most expensive cities in europe, located in an old building in a beautiful picturesque street, a minute away from the spanish steps, 10 minutes walk from fontana di trevi, Pantheon, Piazza Navonna and may more. How much time are you planning to spend in your room anyway? go out and enjoy the beautiful, exiting, buzzing city around you. If you wanted Luxury in rome- this is not the hotel for you, and you have to be willing to pay much, MUCH more. However - if what you want is just a simple clean room and a decent bed to lay your tired body after a fabulous day of sight seeing, shopping, and dining, you'll be happy.

Room:
small, simple, but newly renovated and clean. My room was in the back, and I had a window facing a shaft. I had no view - but had plenty of fresh air, and no noise from the street.
I am a very light sleeper, and as always brought ear plugs with me, but did not have to use it.
If you go to bed late - say after 12AM, I would say that the noise from the street and the hotel restaurant will be over. Before that - it might be very noisy in the rooms facing the street.

Location:
Cannot be beat. A minute from the spanish steps, and the subway station there. Right next to via Condotti, the most expensive and luxurious shopping street in rome, with shops such as Prada, Hermes, Fendi and many more. The whole area is filled with boutiques, restaurants and cafes, and it is very beautiful to walk around and do some window shopping, or to sit down for a nice meal. 10-15 minutes of easy walk to other tourist attraction such as The trevi fountain, piazza navona, piazza de la rotunda, forum.

Service: people at the desk speak good english and are happy to help with everything you might need. FREE WIFI - with a very good bandwidth. Breakfast was fine - but does not change at all: eggs, cold cuts and cheese, cereals and a few pastries. Kind of boring after a week - but it was fresh and tasty.

Restaurant: Do not go there. There are so many good places to eat in rome, do not waste you time and money here. The food is Mediocre, the service - slow to almost non existent.
We ate here once, and though it wasn't horrible, it wasn't enjoyable either.

I had a fantastic time in Rome, and this hotel met my reasonable expectation. I hope my review Was helpful to you