“Three star headed for two” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Scalinata di Spagna

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hotel Scalinata di Spagna
Ranked #70 of 1,292 Hotels in Rome
Seattle, Washington
“Three star headed for two”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

This hotel needs to have several renovations to achieve their 3 star status. Great location but that is about it. The rooftop is dirty and needs a good cleaning including the linens on the table that were never changed while we were there for two days.
Our room was a dark room with no view and nowhere to sit?
Why would one have this location and not refurbish is the question.
We will not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Teri F
scalinata, Proprietario at Hotel Scalinata di Spagna, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for your review. The hotel was totally painted in April. In addition, in June, each room has been cleaned and disinfected with a service of ozonation. The runner of the breakfast room are sent to the laundry every day. Each room is dated to a chair. I'm sorry that you are not found at home. Regards Fabrizio Jemma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York, New York, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

Located at the top of the famous Spanish Steps, this hotel has little else going for it.
Upon arrival we were shown to a room with one queen-sized bed. In copious emails we had requested a superior double room with two single beds. Asked to wait for them to clean that room (the only one?!) we had coffee outside. When we did get into our room there was nothing superior about it. Very small and cramped. After one shower the tub was clogged.
No hand towels, no wash cloths. The worst was the noise and pot-smoke coming from outside. Our superior room had a window that opened onto the back of another building ... fifty feet below there was an alley of sorts where locals would congregate, smoke weed, and scream at eachother. I got very little sleep, and the staff was ambivalent.
You are better off elsewhere.
(the picture was taken after we were asked to wait for our room with 2 twins. DId they really move mattresses around to accommodate us?!)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Brian S
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

I hade stayed at this hotel a couple of years ago and liked it very much: the location, the charm, the pricing. As a result, in January I made another reservation for this May, broken into a two night stay and a three night stay. Unfortunately, a week before our stay was to start Scalinata indicated that it would not honor the first, two-night reservation, citing construction that was going on in the hotel. Interestingly, my daughter, who was spending the semester in Rome, had been in contact with the hotel a week or so before and they had mentioned nothing about room unavailability due to construction.
The staff offered to find us another hotel and gave us a couple of options, including Hotel Nerva, where we stayed and which I have separately reviewed. While we were quite happy with Hotel Nerva, we were fortunate: given the late cancellation by Scalinata there simply were very few hotels available in Rome and thus we did not have the opportunity to truly choose our hotel or location. Hotel Nerva was very nice and we stayed for both parts of our trip-finding it was the one good thing to come out of our Scalinata experience this time around.
A friend, a resident of Rome, who had originally recommended the hotel has told me that he no longer does as others have had their reservations dishonored in the same way-typically people who were only planning to stay two or three nights. I have also seem similar comments about "room construction" and overbooking in other Trip Advisor reviews. While the representative of Scalinata seemed apologetic, the actions by the hotel and the uncertainty created by the sudden "unavailability" of the room, as well as time spent by my daughter and me doing research on other locations, make it necessary for me to warn other potential guests to have back-up plans as there is a chance that there reservations will get cancelled if there is "construction" (or if someone else books a longer stay...). Very disappointing.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Bronco10708
scalinata, Proprietario at Hotel Scalinata di Spagna, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Dear Sir, thank you very much for your opinion that gives me the possibility to introduce myself.
I am the owner of the hotel. Only from the 7 jannuary 2013 I am also managing the hotel. I am really sorry for the inconvenience happened to you. I personally selected the hotel Nerva for you. I am deeply involved in a big project of renewing globally the hotel. Evidence of it is new breakfast room and roof garden. New sheets, coutesy line supplier and food suppliers. We have improved the cleaning of the rooms, and painted all walls. We have renewed the kitchen and we are restructuring the bathrooms. Unfortunately the company involved in this work delayed the job closing date. It could happen. I think everywhere. So, no guests selection, no lies. But only inconvenience. Detestable inconvenience. we have still ongoing work in four room, in case you would like to have a check. I am really sorry. Best regards Fabrizio Jemma
Charleston, SC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

The location of the hotel is the probably the best feature... right on top of the Spanish steps, short walk to the subway and close to several eating and drinking establishments. Another very nice feature of the hotel is the rooftop area where breakfast is served each morning with the stunning backdrop of Rome as your vista. The rooms are European City sized (aka small) but I am of the mind-set that in happening cities like Rome, Paris, NYC, etc, I am only in the room to sleep so who needs an abundance of space?

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Wicklow, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

We stayed here before, some two years ago, and promised ourselves to return - delighted we did as we again found it a great little place to stay. The location couldn't be any better, on top of the Spanish Steps, it's close to all the best-loved sites of Rome and the staff are dedicated to provide all the help they can in making restaurant reservations, suggesting tours, arranging taxis etc; breakfast is good and there are plenty of excellent restaurants nearby - ask Fabio in Reception for his recommendations, he never fails!

One small blip - we had to move to another hotel nearby as our room was not available on our last night - Fabio said that it was to be "repaired" that day but I am convinced it was simply overbooked and needed for longer-stay guests. Pity ! However, they arranged a room in a larger (higher classed) hotel at no extra cost. Not as pleasant as the Scalinata, but ok.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the square below
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Mr Billington, I am very sorry for your opinion. You sent us a message in which you ask us an extra night over you planned booking:
I WISH TO ADD ONE EXTRA NIGHT TO MY BOOKING, IF POSSIBLE; PLEASE ADD NIGHT OF THURSDAY 14/3/13 AND ADVISE. THANK YOU, RAY BILLINGTON (we still have all the e-mails)
We were full booked and we found for you a solution to an other hotel for the extra night.
In my opinion we gave a good service. I feel sorry you did not appreciated our effort.
Best regards
Fabrizio Jemma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Excellent location, right on the Spanish Steps, very close to the Metro and easy walking to the Trevi Fountain. The Metro makes getting anywhere very easy and inexpensive. The rooms are small, but very clean and well appointed with comfortable beds. The view from roof top terrace is terrific, looking out across old Rome while enjoying a cappuccino is a memory still vivid in my mind. The breakfast was tasty and close to a wide variety of trattorias . Staff at the hotel speak very good English and are very helpful.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

I have just returned from what must have been my fifth or sixth stay at the Hotel Scalinata di Spagna and it was as satisfying as ever. To my mind, there is something special about the location of this hotel. As anyone who has visited Rome will attest, it's sometimes difficult not to be put off by the throngs of tourists even though you are one of them!

The vista from the top of the Spanish steps is one of the classic views of Rome and so, not surprisingly, it attracts every single one of those throngs. But a mere 50 yards or so away from the top of the Steps, tucked into a quiet corner, is the entrance to an oasis of calm. The reception area is compact but the reception welcoming. I have had the pleasure of being received by Fabio Tricamo on every one of my visits (Fabio, take a holiday!) and he has always been charming and accommodating. He is without doubt one of the hotel's finest assets.

On this last occasion I was alone and I stayed in room #12. It is small but has large windows on two sides of the room flooding it with light and giving it an air of spaciousness. I have also stayed in a much larger room with my spouse on the same floor as the reception area but it was darker and I prefer a room with light. The decor in the rooms is a bit kitschy but the rooms themselves are in good condition and have all the amenities one would expect. While I tend to be fairly forgiving, my spouse is extremely particular and in all the times we have stayed here she has never had occasion to complain of anything.

One of the most pleasant aspects of the hotel is the rooftop patio and breakfast room located one flight above the reception area. Some of the patio tables are situated under an arbor of green and others under open sky. When it is too cold to eat breakfast al fresco, as it was on my recent visit, the breakfast room itself is flooded with light. Breakfast is presented buffet style and consists of cereals, yoghurt, eggs (scrambled and boiled), bacon, cheese and cold cuts. When I was there in late February the owner was in the process of making improvements to his property and one of those was the introduction of 'american' style coffee in addition to the usual expresso and cappucinos. The latter is now available all day long which is a very welcome addition. The patio is a delightful place to consume beer or wine purchased from a nearby groceria.

One of the experiences I appreciate most about staying here is that late at night or early in the morning one can walk a few yards from the hotel and experience one of Rome's quintessential tourist spots in glorious solitude. If you're not alone at night it's because lovers are sitting on the steps below or in the morning street cleaners are washing down the steps. A mere 500 metres beyond the steps is the entrance to the Borghese Gardens and below the via Condotti, home to the world's top fashionistas, stretches further than any pocket book ever could. The Trevi Fountain is an easy 700 metres away. A subway stop is located about 200 metres from the hotel. In short, the location is superb but a word of warning: there are steps to climb, 138 of them. This has never been a problem for my wife and I but on one occasion we were accompanied by my elderly father-in-law who found the steps a challenge. However, there is an elevator nearby connected to the subway that one can use to bypass the steps.

Rome hotels are not cheap and I occasionally research alternatives but I keep going back to the Hotel Scalinata di Spagna because I think it represents good value and I like the sense of being 'above the fray' as it were. Rome can be as tiring as it is inspiring and I appreciate the sense of calm that I experience here. Yes, cheaper alternatives exist but I think this hotel combines great location with very comfortable accommodation. Right across the street is the Hassler Roma hotel, one of Rome's finest. By staying at the Hotel Scalinata di Spagna, you get the advantage of the Hassler's superb location at a substantial discount. Very few hotels can lay claim to being within a minute's walk from one of Rome's most famous vistas. And none have Fabio Tricamo to welcome you.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo