“Great ex”

Ranked #149 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
A TripAdvisor Member
Rome
Reviewed September 27, 2012

The location was perfect. Five minute walk to Campo di Fiore. Vatican and Coluseum within 25 minutes. Although the room was small by American standards it was clean and efficient. The pillows could have been softer and maybe newer towels. But over all a very good value. After all I didn't come to Rome to spend a lot of time in my hotel room. Only there to sleep and shower. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Hotel is clean, comfortable, and air conditioned. Breakfast is 8 on a grade of 1-10. Staff is very friendly and front desk clerks speak English. We WALKED to ALL major attractions. Cannot say enough good things. We would definitely go there again.

Room Tip: Not real fancy but Clean and well run. Location is TOPS!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bluebonnetnc
hotelsmeraldoroma, Direttore at Hotel Smeraldo, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Dear Guest,
I am very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay!
Of course we'll work on that two points missing to reach a 10/10 on our breakfast... we are just working on it!
Looking forward to see you again,
Sincerely

Reviewed September 19, 2012

My first impressions of this hotel were not hopeful. The shuttle had to drop me way down the street (alleyway) because the SPQR was taking up the street, and I had to drag my case over potholes and ditches, through files of impatient Romans. This was not, of course, the fault of the hotel, but since they had organised the shuttle, they might have warned the driver to approach from the other end. And hey, perhaps some acknowledgedment upon check-in, like Sorry for the mess, would have brightened things up, but sorry, thank you or even enjoy your stay are beyond the emotional range of this hotel. And forget it, of course, if you normally expect someone to take your bags to the room (I don't as a rule, but I know some people do); I had to wrestle my bag up a little flight of stairs and into the smallest elevator I've ever seen, more like the ones they have in some restaurants to send the food up from the basement. I noticed in passing that the proudly proclaimed 'Bar' is an unstaffed counter next to a slot machine dispensing soft drinks. Then the room: yes, it's small and dark, but since I was on my own this did not bother me that much (I don't know how two people would cohabit here without ending up in their own luggage, which there is no place to store other than on the tiny floor space.) Minimal cupboard space, of course, and the shower would just about accommodate my cat on a calm day; as it is, every time you move, you bump against the the tap and scald your skin off or freeze off some sensitive part.
As I said, first impressions weren't great. But the room was quiet (the advantage of facing into a kind of shaft), and the air conditioning effective enough that you didn't have to open the window (if you did, you would have had an intimate connection with the facing room, about two metres away). The decor was tastefully subdued, and the bed comfortable. And, of course, the location is great, so you wouldn't (couldn't!) spend much time in the room anyway.
The breakfast, from which I was expecting the worst, given the general lack of abundance in the hotel, turned out to be a pleasant surprise, a generous if not lavish buffet in a spacious, well-lit basement. If breakfast was still a rather lugubrious affair (not even the Americans greeted each other), that may be because the dour woman presiding over this lot is a kind of extreme personification of the attitude of this hotel: eat your breakfast, but don't expect a smile to make it go down. ROOM NUMBER! seems to be the limit of her people skills. (The cleaning staff, I must say, was friendly and cheerful.)
So I was feeling better disposed to the hotel after my short (two-day) stay, but check-out confirmed my initial misgivings: efficient enough, but not a thank you or a good bye or a Hope you enjoyed your stay from the stone-faced functionary at the desk. Come on, people, you're in the hospitality trade, not the funeral business. Lighten up already. But I won't be back. Have fun.

Room Tip: The inner rooms, though dark and airless, are quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Nicholas6

Dear Guest,
thank you for your detailed review. Please allow us to give a right response to it.
Of course in our position we must read over the words and this review is the demonstration that the first impression is probably the most important thing to work on in our job. You don't know since how long we have problems (and our guest too of course) with the streets around us.. different works on the gas, electric and water line are going on since the past two months. Unfortunately we live in a city with more than 2000 years and the city systems sometimes feels the weight of this legacy, but the good new is that for the end of September everything will be fixed. If our staff didn’t please allow us to say sorry for the inconvenience.
Reading on your review I feel you have been a little disappointed with all our staff and this doesn't fit with our daily job to improve the quality of our human resources.
We will take care for sure of your important feedback but let me tell you that this collides with all other daily reviews, chats with guests and recommendations that we hear and read from our guests all around the world.
All those reviews confirm us we know how to work in the hospitality trade and make the stay of our guests as much as warm and pleasant is our daily goal and I can assure you that we are totally committed to this.
We are really sorry this didn’t work for you.
We would be pleased if - challenging your latest experience - you'll reserve us a second chance during your next trip.
All the best

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Location is just perfect. Exactly between the Vatican and the Colisseum and so easy to hop over to Trastevere in the evening across the river for great food.

Also great bakery outside for takeaway pizza and great bar outside entrance

room small but clean and ideal if you are out all day

Negatives. 12 euros added to my bill for some bail-out tax for the government when my email confirmation clearly said all taxes included. Some of the staff a bit miserable

Room Tip: Unlike us ask for a room off the street as it can be a bit noisy late at night as people wander arou...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mark B
hotelsmeraldoroma, Direttore at Hotel Smeraldo, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Dear Guest,
thank you for the review: we are happy you enjoyed your September trip in the Eternal City!
I just want to clarify that the 12 euros you wrote about are refferred to the city tax.
In fact as written clearly on our website (and also during the reservation process), from the 1st of January 2011, the City of Rome has institute a Tourist Services Tax (C.C. 28/29 luglio 2010, n.67). This mean that guests staying in any hotel in the city of Rome will be charged an overnight accommodation tax per person per night for up to a maximum of 10 nights consecutively (according to the following conditions: 3 star hotels € 2.00 per night per person).
Of course all the other taxes are always included (es. VAT), but this one is not directly referred to our service and in this case we are only withholding agents for the city of Rome.
I hope to have clarified the misunderstaing!
Looking forward to see you here in Rome,
Sincerly
The Hotel Manager

A TripAdvisor Member
Rome
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel many times and have usually been satisfied with my room. This time we had a room in the annex on the 1th floor. It was dark with just a door to a small closed in terrace and backyard.
Unni

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Simply put, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel. While the rooms were small, they were clean. The English-speaking staff was very helpful and made sure we had everything we needed. Although in downtown Rome, it is tucked away down an alley so it is very quiet. Very good restaurant out the front door and AMAZING bakery down the back street.

Easy walking distance to almost every major site with the exception of the Coloseum (for that we took a Green-Line guided tour, which I HIGHLY recommend - ~e100 for 2 people). When we go back to Rome, we will stay there again. No question. Just loved it!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark V
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed at Hotel Smeraldo for 3 nights in mid-May. I e-mailed the hotel and asked for the Rick Steves' discount - which was 140 euros, including breakfast. We took a bus from the airport (FCO) to Termini, and then a taxi to the hotel.

Our room was ready upon arrival, and we were on the first floor (2nd floor in the US). I used the small elevator to get the luggage up to our room. I had read reviews that said the room and shower were small - and they were: wall/nightstand/bed/nightstand/bathroom door/wall! The room was very clean, but the shower was the size of a phone booth! There was some street noise at night when the window was open. However, the bed was comfortable and we slept well.

The included breakfast was very good, with meats, cheeses, fruit, yogurt, pastries, juice/milk/coffee.

The best part was the hotel's very central location in the Campo de Fiori neighborhood. We walked to the Spanish Steps our first evening for a tour with Walks of Italy. We could've walked to the Vatican the next morning, but chose to take a taxi. We ate dinner our last night near the Colosseum, then walked back to the hotel from there.

I would definitely stay at Hotel Smeraldo on a return visit to Rome. My sister and brother-in-law will stay in Rome for 2 nights after a cruise next June, and they are going to book this hotel based on my recommendation.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple