Hotel Trastevere
$178
$165
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Hotel des Artistes(Rome)(Great Value!)
$146
$69
  • Free Internet
All reviewscroissantsaround the cornerthe hotel staffhistoric sitesexcellent locationwould definitely stay here againpublic transportationwalked everywhererestaurants in the areagelateriafront desk staffevery morningstayed here for nightsquiet streettrevi fountaincontinental breakfastcentral rome
Reviewed June 10, 2008

Stayed three nights at the Trastevere in May and we were very pleased with our choice. The neighbourhood was recommended to us by someone who knows Rome, and we were glad we stayed there. The room was not large, but very adequate - make sure you ask for a Superior room. Amandus was always helpful with suggestions and directions. He gave us a wonderful route to walk to the Vatican. We walked everywhere from the hotel, but for those who need to, buses and trams connect easily everywhere from Trastevere. From the airport, we took the M train to the Trastevere station, and then the #8 tram to the hotel. A good map of Rome was very helpful to find our way. There are many good reasonable restaurants right around - go to Da Ivo for great pizza, and Cape de Fero is half a block from the hotel and serves delicious authentic Italian dishes with great service and reasonable prices. Trastevere is a lively neighbourhood, feels very genuine, and the Trastevere rate can't be beat. We would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mamiem
Reviewed May 9, 2008

We stayed at the Hotel Trastevere for the last 2 nights of a 2 week trip to Italy. Before writing this review, I went back and re-read the other reviews, wondering if there was something I missed. I just didn't find this to be the fabulous little place so many other reviewers did. Maybe it was just bad luck on our part.

The room itself is perfectly adequate in size, with 2 typical characteristics that we came to expect in Italy: small bathroom and terrible bed. It was similar in size to our hotel room in Florence. The difference that caused me to rate this 2 levels lower, however, was two-fold:

1) Our window faced the square behind the hotel. To say that this square is noisy in the evening is an understatement. Our first night there was Sat. night. Even with the windows shut tight, we were kept awake by the diners outside. We were finally able to fall asleep despite the noise, but were jarred awake by "closing time" some time after midnight. Sun night was not quite as bad, but it still kept us awake. If you're a light sleeper or need quiet to fall asleep, this isn't the place for you.

2) I don't think I'm a particularly picky person when it comes to bathrooms, as long as it's clean. What I can't abide is mildew. The cracks in the shower surround were covered in mildew, and there was mildew on spots on the surround wall itself. The tile in the shower had 2 holes where a rack had probably been located previously; the holes hadn't been caulked, and I kept thinking about the volume of mold that was likely behind those tiles. To cap it all off, the drain was seriously clogged, to the point where I was standing in water up to my ankles and had to turn off the shower every so often so as to not risk flooding the bathroom (even when taking quick showers). The bathroom alone really turned me off the place. I realize we should have brought the issues to their attention, but we were only there for 2 nights, and after 2 weeks of travel I wasn't up to trying to communicate "mildew" and "backed up drain" across languages.

In retrospect, I really wish we'd booked someplace a bit more expensive but also a bit quieter. We did love the neighborhood, just not the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2008

I have more to say about Trastevere and the hotel at my blog! The Tiny Guide.

First of all, let me say that when you go, trade your incisors for a chance to stay in Trastevere. Trastevere sits just across the river (walking distance!) to many of the historic sites in town and at the Vatican, but it is not so close that you can smell the other tourists Pantene and Old Spice. We selected, after lots of research, the "budget" Hotel Trastevere.

For €150 per night (Feb rates), we rented an apartment that technically sleeps 5, but would have been much better sleeping two. The whole affair is a three-story room, with two loft sleeping areas stacked on the main living space (and third sleeping area) In one corner is a modest kitchenette. The bathroom is up one flight of stairs. It sits RIGHT next to the second floor sleeping area. This was a bit of a problem, as the men I was traveling with (one in his 60s and one very spry in his 70s) had to get up during the night to go potty. The floor squeaked, the door banged. Not so good.

OK. Enough whining:

The tall windows featured a view of Piazza San Cosimato. In the piazza every morning but Sunday, you'll find a small, bustling open air market full of seasonal, regional produce, kitchen knick-knacks and flowers. From my noisy second floor twin bed, I had an amazing view of it in the morning. Hard to beat.

A fridge! We had a fridge! Though last year, My friend and I took to storing our cheese out on the windowsill (we traveled in winter then as well) having a fridge was very handy for storing our delicious snacks. That said, an icebox is not essential. Snacks in Rome pretty much beat snacks everywhere else - pizza, oranges, pizza, prosciutto, pizza, cheese. You can't find this stuff at all hours, though, so fridge good.

If we were a party of two, and no one had to a) sleep by the bathroom or b) make coffee while I was still sleeping, I would have noting negative to say.

BEWARE PRISSY PEOPLE: The apartment is a little shabby, it's not the Ritz. I personally couldn't give a crap about ugly coverlets or tape on the showerhead. It's clean and the staff is very very helpful Trastevere is an amazing place to be, and so fun to come home to in the evenings.

Don't bother with the breakfast in house. Up the block at Bar Er Trasteverino you can get a darn good cappuccino and a delicious custard-filled croissant for €1.60 (written €1,60 in Italy)

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank The_Tiny_Guide
Reviewed February 7, 2008

We selected this hotel as we had spent time in Trastevere the last time we were in Rome staying with friends. Only spent one night in the hotel, and it was definitely up to par. Nice clean rooms/bathroom, great location, and friendly staff. We were headed to the airport before breakfast was served in the morning so can't comment on that. Public transport is nearby with the H bus taking you to Termini, or the Tram to go to Trastevere train station. Paid about 110 euro I believe.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank waterlgged
Reviewed November 26, 2007

This hotel offered a reasonable rate in a terrific location that has
numerous reasonably priced restaurants. Trastevere is a mostly
residential area and it was not too noisy. The continental brkfst
was fine, the staff helpful, especially Amandus. I would'nt try to
drive or park here but public transportation is readily available.
Almost any sight in Rome was within walking distance or a short
tram and or bus ride away. The cappucino and gelato in the area
were fantastic. (& the pizza & pasta). The room was spotless as was the private bath. You can't beat this value.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple