I spent two nights at this hotel, in a perfectly adequate and clean single room, probably quite recently renovated. An 'internal' room, it was utterly quiet though had no view - in fact looked out onto a brick platform and wall covered with plastic leaves two feet away! This did not bother me in the least but what did was the lack of a working air-conditioning unit in Rome with 32 degrees celsius. I had purposely chosen this hotel for its location and the air-conditioning. There are others in the area I could have chosen. I complained each time (often) I passed reception and was repeatedly told that the technician was working on the problem. Both nights the temperature in my room was 26 degrees, whereas outside it was 18. I did not want to open the window for security reasons.
Apart from this the hotel was wonderfully central and the staff, with a possible exception in the reception area, were polite and helpful, if not effusive. The crockery at breakfast had had a dishwasher problem and some of it was a bit gritty, but avoidable. Breakfast itself was quite satisfactory. There were many regular and obviously valued Italian guests. Downstairs in the public areas the air-con worked very well!
If the management had made some gesture of goodwill when it came to producing my bill I would not be writing this. Of course they did not. Next time I may go elsewhere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Who we are The history of the Albergo Santa Chiara begins in 1939. At the first it was a "wine-shop" then changed into a small inn, enlarged in the following years, the 10 rooms of the first days have become now 96, distributed in 3 adjoining buildings. In one of them is located the Saint Catherine from Siena's Chapel. The old lobby, on the contrary, has become a theatre. You can't miss a short chat at one of the table of our open-air bar, quiet and private, that overlooks the Minerva Square. The most affectionate guests love the wide and classic styled rooms, younger prefers the modern and high-tech ones. The hotel service is impeccable, the rooms are very clean and the beds are extremely comfortable. You will find this is a friendly, relaxed hotel that will make you feel right at home. The hotel has been in the same family ownership for nearly a century. The ground floor hall has seen the proclamation of the Popular Party by Don Sturzo, the rooms have counted the steps of Noble prizes such as Amartya Sen, Franco Modigliani and clergy men later be became Popes, politicians then elected Republican President, philosophers, artists, writers from Fogazzaro to Sartre to Banana Yoshimoto. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Agoda, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and Hotel.de so you can book your Hotel Albergo Santa Chiara reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Albergo Santa Chiara Rome
- Albergo Santa Chiara Hotel Rome