“Not the most ideal location”
Review of Hotel San Carlo

Hotel San Carlo
Ranked #162 of 1,258 Hotels in Rome
New York City, New York
“Not the most ideal location”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

This hotel is located in an area of Spanish steps. It is surrounded by very expensive stores, such as Gucci, Ferragamo, etc. There are no other historic or architectural attractions here. If traveling right now, be aware that the roads are being repaired and the taxi can not pull up at the front of the hotel. I had to carry my luggage through dirt and wooden panels. The hotel did not think it was important to warn me of that construction work outside or to give any suggestions on a better route. Very inconsiderate. Another inconvenience, is that their breakfast begins at 7:30 am, but if you have to leave before that time, they can't arrange for a morning cup of coffee. I think there are more desirable and convenient locations in Rome than the Spanish steps.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Westport, Mayo, Ireland
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I have been coming to this wonderful hotel for 20 years and it has the best service and the best location. I totally recommend it having lived in Italy for many years. I have known this hotel since they first open for business. One of my favorite parfumerie extraordinaire par excellence is the renowned Santa Maria Novella which is just next door!

Room Tip: Corner suites are larger and sunnier. I love room number 20 and the roof garden.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed 4 days in the Hotel San Carlo in Rome on a family trip. We had between 7 and 11 people, ranging in age from 4 to 78. There is a small staff and they were uniformly friendly and helpful. The first thing we were told as we checked in, when I asked for change for 10 euro to tip Dante, who was about to take our bags up, was "This isn't America, you don't have to tip him." I asked Dante if that was true and he laughed and agreed. Throughout our stay Dante and others helped us with small and larger requests (like the fact that we managed to misplace 4 room cardkeys in 4 days) with a smile and without a hand out. (We did leave something for him when we left.) Our rooms were clean and comfortable. Three of them had lovely small balconies - get one of these if you can. My husband and I and a grandchild were in a triple with no balcony but we took a mid-afternoon break in the large (well-fenced) roof garden breakfast room on the couches and chairs there. Breakfast was at 7:30 - 10:30 but Dante told us we could show up at 7 and start, so we did. One morning we were early but the bananas weren't - when they came in the young woman making coffee remembered us and brought a banana to our table. It was little things like that that made us feel so comfortable. Regular and decaf coffee, a computer with a printer behind the lobby to use for our boarding passes, free wi-fi everywhere in the hotel. If I had any suggestions, it would be to add hard-boiled eggs to the breakfast: all that fruit and warm pastry and toast and jam and yogurt and cold cereal and juice could use a little protein. We'll go back there, for sure.

Room Tip: Get a room with a private balcony if you can.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Lee P
Cohasset, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 29, 2013

The San Carlo was recommended to us by Parker Villas from whom we rented a villa with our first stop being Rome. This was my first time in Rome. I spent 5 days with my two children ages 19 and 17 before heading to our villa and we had a great experience at the San Carlo which is one block from the Spanish Steps. Parker Villas assured us that the San Carlos was a wonderful place and I am happy to report they were more than right! Talk about convenient! Train stop is one block from hotel at Spanish Steps. We used Rick Steves' book and did our own walking tour to the Vatican from the hotel. I don't know much about other hotels in Rome but can't imagine that there is a better value out there. A wonderful breakfast served daily that was quite filling. The staff was so accommodating patient and friendly. Our room was perfect; very comfortable and clean room.

Room Tip: Try to book the room with the balcony that sleeps 4 very comfortably.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Paul K
Florida
Reviewed July 27, 2013

My trip to Italy started and ended in Rome with a short stop in Sorrento and a two week stay in Orvieto. This hotel was by far my favorite. On a previous trip to Rome in 2007, we stayed at a larger more expensive Via Veneto hotel. I liked the Hotel San Carlo better!

I felt safe and comfortable. My room was on the 4th floor. It was quite large with a small but comfortable terrace. The bathroom was larger than those in my other 3 hotels. That said, showers were all on the small side. Mattresses in Europe seem harder than in the USA but I liked it and slept well.

Location, location, location. Isn't that what they say? This hotel sits at the foot of the Spanish steps to the right and perpendicular to Via Del Corso to the left. Via Del Corso runs from Piazza Del Popolo to the Piazza Venezia. One night I stumbled upon a "flash mob cop band" on white horses playing songs like Yellow Submarine and by Frank Sinatra. So fun.

Breakfast is plentiful and includes yogurt, juices, rolls, fruit, meat, cheese, cereal and of course expresso and cappuccino.

On the parallel street that runs in front of the hotel there is a small market. I bought fresh bread, olives from the deli, cheese, salami and wine. Eating on my small terrace - priceless.

Will stay here again if I return to Rome! Highly recommend. No negatives noted.

Room Tip: Request a high room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Los Angeles
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Hotel San Carlo 13 years ago. This time we were with our two young children (12, 9). The hotel was great 13 years ago and is better now. We stayed in an air-conditioned apartment (which is around the corner from the hotel’s main lobby) that had two large rooms, a large closet, and a large bathroom. It was perfect for my family.

We loved the roof garden where breakfast is now served. The breakfast staff was attentive and very nice. The breakfast was also perfect for us: ham, cheese, yogurt, breads, coffee (espresso, cappuccino etc.), eggs. The location is a short walk to the subway station and the Spanish Steps.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
new castle pa
Reviewed July 11, 2013

First trip to Europe and not knowing what to expect, we were pleasantly surprised. Location was tops and we walked easily to attractions. Breakfast was more than adequate and everything was very clean. Staff was very friendly, as were all the locals.

Room Tip: Rooms are on various, wandering levels but easily accessible. Two person lift adequate.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple