“wonderful Rome hotel”

Ranked #151 of 1,263 Hotels in Rome
Ohio
“wonderful Rome hotel”
Reviewed August 17, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel San Carlo for 5 nights in August. With over 1200 hotels reviewed on Tripadvisor, I was very confused and nervous about choosing a hotel. This was our first time to Rome and I wanted a great hotel with great character in a good location for a great price. We were very pleased with our choice.

I made our reservation directly with the hotel as I was requesting a travel agent discount. Victoria was very kind, prompt and helpful with emailing me the information, reservation and confirmation.

We made our reservation very last minute and did not have time to convert our dollars into euros. When we arrived at the airport we went to the exchange counter only to find a horrific exchange rate (once all fees were added in, it would have been about 36.00 Euro for 100.00 us dollars). We thought we would get a better exhange at the hotel so we left the airport with our driver that was waiting for us with a sign with our name on it, arranged by Victoria ( for 50 euros) without Euro. Needless to say, the hotel did not exchange money but they were so helpful, they paid the driver and put the cab ride on our hotel bill.

We were so relieved, they were like an extended family waiting for us. Check in was quick and efficient. Victoria spoke English and answered all our questions including directing us to a bank where we could exchange our money. The exchange places around the city were expensive to change money (except for the cambio at the Termani station) and most banks would not change at all. Once again Victoria was very informative and pointed us in the right direction.

The porter was very efficient, he brought our bags to the room and always had a smile whenever we saw him. The room was on the small side but very clean and comfortable. My next visit I would get a superior room instead for about an extra 20 euro a night for a little extra space, quality and maybe a terrace. Never the less, the room was comfortable enough for us, a decent size bathroom, comfortable double bed, desk, tv, table and 2 chairs and a window that overlooked the street of lovely cafes and shops. We had plenty of closet space for our cloths and the ac worked really well which we really appreciated in the warm Rome August heat (about 88 degrees and sunny every day).

The breakfast was ok, I am not a big breakfast eater but they had cereal, great breads and cookies, yogurt, juice and the best capaccino and espresso ever. The girls who served the breakfast and coffee were so sweet and pleasant. They did not speak English and I did not speak much Italian but we conversed without any problems, they seemed to know exatley what we wanted.

The afternoon desk associate Rosanna was also so very sweet. She gave us the best restaurant suggestions. Edy and Da Fransescos were totally awesome. Since we always had to leave our room key with the desk, she always had a kind word and smile for us and was always spot on with reccomendations. The night desk associate was so cute and sweet. He always remembered our room number to give us our key and always had a smile and a "good night" to us. A good way to end the day.

The location was the best. In an upscale, safe area right by the Spanish Steps and the main shopping street. We walked to the Vatican, Piazza Navona, Pantheon and, Trevi Fountain in a short amount of time. We bought a 48 hour pass on one of the double decker tour buses and took that to the Colosseum and the Forum. We did the whole tour on the bus and after seeing all of Rome and some of the other hotels we considered, we were so happy with the Hotel San Carlo and its location and our choice.

After a full day of sightseeing in the heat, we always stopped at a little deli one block from the hotel for a bottle of wine, some sodas (I loved the orange Fanta), bottled water, olives, cheese and bread (all for about 12 Euro) and went back to our cool air conditioned room for a rest and a little happy hour before we refreshed and got ready to go out for the evenning. The hotel has a nice rooftop patio but it was not being used for the summer.

Check out was quick and efficient, they pre-arranged a car to take us back to the airport (for 40 Euro and this time we actually had the Euro to give the driver)

This is not the Ritz or the Marriott and I actually am glad I did not choose such a chain as I felt very absorbed in the romance and culture of Rome with our quaint location and accomodations at the San Carlo. The staff were all great and like a family and really looked after us. It was safe and clean and just perfect. I will definately use this hotel for my clients.

Thanks you to all the great staff and I hope my coins tossed in the the Trevi Fountain bring be back to wonderful Rome and the Hotel San Carlo very soon.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hotelsnob4u

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
ロンドン, イギリス
Reviewed August 11, 2011

We booked this hotel via Expedia for 1 room for 2 adults and 1 child. However, on checking in, the hotel staff said they received a reservation from Expedia for 2 adults only and tried to charge us more than our confirmed rate from Expedia. We checked in without agreeing to the increase, and told them they needed to sort out the problem between themselves and Expedia. They gave us a room which needed a lot of updating. As soon as we put our luggage in our room, we went back to the front desk and showed them our booking confirmation. You know what we then saw - another family just checking in, who had also booked via Expedia and had the exact same problem with the hotel!

During our stay we asked the receptionist to arrange a taxi to the airport and we would like to pay the fee along our hotel bill and he said that would be no problem. When we checked out, we were a bit suspicious, so we checked whether the taxi cost was included in our bill before paying. The receptionist said "Yes, no problem!" Of course it was a problem. As soon as we paid with our credit card, and before we received any paper invoice, he changed his mind and said "no taxi was not included, I said tax!" We had a huge fight with the receptionist shouting in Italian and calling us liars. Finally we mentioned bringing in the police and they suddenly agreed to pay our taxi fee.

It is very easy for them to hit family tourists with a large rate increase on check in, as people may be worried to lose their room in the top season in Rome. Also it was absolutely awful to deal with this type of ridiculous cheating. We highly recommend you chose a different hotel if you want to have a peaceful stay in Rome.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank Nob3
Trani, Front Office Manager at Hotel San Carlo, responded to this review, August 13, 2011
First of all we would like to inform all customers who has the reservation in our hotel made through Expedia. If you have a reservation made for a double standard room and you are travelling in 3 or 4 please contact Expedia to modificate your reservation. We can't accomodate 3-4 persons in a double room. You need to modificate your reservations. Please do it before you arrival into the hotel.
We as hotel can't contact or modificate your your reservations made through other websites.
**************************************************************************
We were expecting your review and we are very happy to explain again this situation to all Tripadvisor readers.
When you arrived into the hotel and showed your reservation (made through Expedia) we noticed You that your booked room is a double standard room at the rate of 115 Euro per night and can accomodate max. 2 persons in the room. You were travelling in 3. Your daugher which is approx. 6 years old is considerate an adult and needs an additional bed.
At the moment of check-in We told you that we can't accomodate your family in a double room.Hotel was fully booked that day and we didn't have free triple rooms. What we could do, to find an extra bed and to put in a double room. While you were waiting for the room, we told you that the room rate will be different. We couldn't charge you as for a triple room (180 Euro per night) therefore we told you that you will pay for this room 140 Euro per night, but you told that is too expensive!Then we told that we need to charge you at least 15 Euro's more per night for the third bed and the third breakfast. We agreed that you will pay 130 Euro per night for the room for 3 you took a key and when into the room.
But at the moment of check-out the situated became quite different . You paid 260 Euro and told us that the taxi in the airport is included into the room rate!!!!! The person who made your check-out was sure that you asked him about the taxes (which are included into the room rate)exept city tax which you need to pay a part but you never paid!!!. You started to repeat in continuing that we told you that the taxi to the airport was included into the 130 Euro room rate
So just to be CORRECT:
You didn't pay city tax (12 Euro in total) you didn't pay 40 Euro for a taxi into the airport (Your wife didn't want to go into the car until she was sure that you won't need to pay nothing to driver!
We paid from our pockets 40 Euro for your taxi for the airport and 12 Euro for Your City tax .
P.s.
Fortunatly we speak English but of cause is not our native lungagge and we understandard the difference between "Taxes "and "tax".
Antioch, California
Reviewed August 1, 2011

For the location the hotel was reasonably priced (for Rome), I paid 165 dollars for a single. While the room was small it is more than adequate. Now the shower is a different story, if you are height-weight challenged you may have problems with the width of the shower. I am 5ft., 8in. at 165lbs and had no problems. Everything in the room was spotless as well as the lobby and breakfast area. The breakfast was nothing to write home about: coffee, rolls, breads, cheese, juice, cereal. The hotel has a free internet computer in the lobby, which ran slow for my standards, but got the job done. The location was perfect only three short blocks from the metro. Metro stop Spagna (Spanish Steps). Restaurants are within walking distance. Many upscale clothing shops are located in the area. I felt safe walking the area at night. One last thing, the staff was very helpful, helping me retrieve my lost luggage ensuring it was delivered from the airport to my room.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
DeLand, Florida
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Dear Sir I`ve just spent a long time writing a review about the Hotel San Carlo in Rome on Via Delle Carrozze. Please let me know if it was recieved
At the top of the page it said wrong hotel, I did not understand what it meant. I hate to think I spent all this time for nothing and you won`t get the message. We adored the hotel! I filled it out right before this one and need to know if you received the first one.

Marcia Emch

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Hollis
Reviewed July 16, 2011

Found this hotel via this site - was very happy with the location! Literally within a few hundred steps of the Spanish steps, it is surrounded by many small cafes, restaurants, and in the middle of the main shopping district as well. We walked to all of the major sites with no problem. Rome had a heat wave and we really appreciated the wonderful air conditioning in the room as well. Breakfast was very basic but they made great coffee to order. We had a triple and a double room that was in an annex around the the corner from the main hotel. Both rooms were very large and comfortable.
Wifi was only available in the lobby, but free there and they had nice couches to relax on. We enjoyed our visit to Rome despite the heat, and this hotel was a nice oasis!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank SusanfromHollis
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed July 6, 2011

I had a fabulous time in Rome, and a very safe and comfortable experience at Hotel San Carlo. The staff was sweet, and answered all my questions with accuracy. I loved being so close to shopping and other historic attractions that I could walk to or take the conveniently located train. The hotel location is also perfect, tucked away on narrow Via Delle Carrozze for privacy but accessible to Rome's splendor. Definitely worth every penny.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Calypsowine
Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois
Reviewed June 7, 2011

I have stayed at this family owned Hotel several times. Each experience has been a most pleasurable one. The location is fantastic! Right near the Spanish Steps and the beautiful shopping streets of Rome. The rooms are well appointed clean and quiet. i travel for a living and enjoy the family atmosphere that this Hotel affords it's guests.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family