“Pantheon, 2-room suite and breakfast - but get your own taxi”
Review of Hotel Abruzzi

Hotel Abruzzi
Ranked #45 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Waking up to a window overlooking the Pantheon is pretty freaking cool. That was my absolute favorite part of this place.

We stayed in a 2-room suite on the top floor. The hotel contacted me in advance to ask how I'd like each room set up for sleeping (twin beds or double). It was nice to be asked (points for service here!) but the second room ended up being so tiny that we couldn't close the door against the double bed. Also, only one room in the suite overlooks the Pantheon while the other overlooks a roof. Thankfully, we got my mom a second room (in advance). The second room in our suite was really only good for a single twin... though it is nice to have the option of a double if you don't need privacy like we did.

The rooms otherwise were clean and nice, nothing too fancy. I love that housekeeping made up our 2-year-old daughter's bed with her favorite dolls each day. The main room of our suite was also more spacious and comfortable than the second room, which we ended up using for luggage.

The breakfast across the piazza was good with a decent selection of hot and cold foods. Great to be able to sit indoors or out. Cappuccinos are made to order.

I did have an issue on Rome Marathon day. I was running the race and needed a taxi to get there. I asked the front desk about getting one and was told the taxi couldn't get me to the race because the roads were already closed. Panic! I instantly worried about having to rush off and jog myself a couple of miles to the start of a marathon. Luckily, I walked out the door and immediately found a taxi - next to the Pantheon - that drove me directly to the race starting area. No road closures in sight yet. It would have been fine if the guy at the front desk told me he was not sure about the roads, but he could have at least tried to help me find a taxi driver who would really know what's going on.

Overall, it was a good stay, and I'd consider staying again.

Room Tip: If you get the two room suite keep in mind only one room has a view, and the second room is best wit...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank rolo0423

Reviewed June 7, 2013

This is the second time I have stayed at Hotel Abruzzi and, strangely enough, I was in the same room both times--and not by request. The room I had was tiny. I thought I had been put in that room last time because I was. Ingle. But this time I was a double and got the same room. There are other larger rooms because the people I was traveling with both times had larger rooms. I know European rooms are always smaller, but this room was ridiculous. You couldn't sit on the toilet without sitting at an angle. Aside from the size of the room though, it is a nice hotel, very well located right at the Pantheon. You get a voucher for breakfast at a restaurant across the piazza and the breakfast is good. The personnel are very helpful. I will probably stay here agin and hope I gate a different room.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 6, 2013

If you want opulence and large living quarters then this place is not for you. But for my wife and me it was a perfect fit. Small, but very clean room, with a fantastic view of the Pantheon. The location was perfect. We could walk everywhere we wanted to go - the Vatican, the Colosseum, the Spanish Steps, Trevi fountain, and yes, even Hard Rock Cafe. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Just perfect for us.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I had a wonderful time staying at Hotel Abruzzi in Rome. If you can, get a room in their Annex. It's like having your own apartment. The windows opened onto to Piazza della Rotonda, with a beautiful view of the Pantheon. Perfect location. Friendly and helpful staff. Free breakfast at a local restaurant on the Piazza. I hope to return again soon

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Cindy R
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We originally booked at another hotel. The other hotel "lost" our reservation. That is how we found Hotel Abruzzi. Perfect location, fantastic staff. I wish we found them first! They truly saved our vacation. Thank you!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank joe_patrick
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Loved every bit of the stay at this friendly hotel in March 2013. The people who work at the reception genuinely want to help you and make your stay memorable! They were even willing to store my luggages even though I had already checked out! Fully recommend this place if you are staying in Rome and you can't beat the location; so close to everything you want to do in Rome.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the fountain were excellent
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mountain-Monk
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the annex which was just a door down from the lobby and a narrow staircase up to our room. There was a small elevator too. The room was small but adequate and very clean. We only stayed for a couple nights so the size was not an issue for us. Our window overlooked the side alley. When the windows were open there was noise but if you closed up the shutters it totally blocked the noise and light. The location was amazing. The only downfall of the room was the step up to the sink and room that had the toilet and shower in it. Both my husband and I both stumbled over it during the night forgetting it was there. The breakfast which was included was great. We enjoyed eating outside in the Pantheon square. We were surprise to be served scrambled eggs, bacon, fresh fruit, baked goods and coffee. It was a great way to start our day. Thank you so much Hotel Abruzzi for our stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple