“nice italian hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Hotel Hermitage

Grand Hotel Hermitage
Ranked #1,151 of 1,292 Hotels in Rome

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

Where does one start on commenting about this "1 Star Hotel". Like many European Hotels the Grand Hermitage's lobby is somewhat impressive. That's about where it ends.

The Grand Hermitage rates itself as a "Four star" hotel. I have traveled enough to realize that a four star in Europe is not the same as what one expects in North America. However nothing was close to even a two star rating.

-my first negative experience came when I had to deal with the front desk staff . They were rude and not helpful in any way. They just handed me the key ...and pointed to the elevator. No one asked if I needed help with my bags or informed me where or when the complimentary breakfast would be served.

-when I went to my room I was not surprised to see that it was the size of a closet. But I was definitely disgusted that the bed linens consisted of one thin bottom sheet over a bare mattress that had a twelve inch brown stain. The blanket looked liked it had not been washed in years. There was no side table reading lights...instead there was a small wall sconce three feet above the bed.
The top of the armoire had a layer of thick dust.

-the temperature in Rome was about 30 C during the day and cooler at night. However the A/C was not working and there was no breeze through the window. The second night I asked the front desk person to see if they had a fan...but they had nothing. He came up to my room and by the look on his face I knew he too thought the room was abnormally hot. (We discovered that the heating system was on instead of the A/C...and I was informed that it would not be changed till later in the week.) So after more complaining I was put into another room...a larger room that actually wasn't too bad. Note to single travelers. Book a room as a double...it may be a few dollars more but you will get a nicer room.

-the breakfast room was in a old dirty basement with curtains falling down. The table cloths were dirty and well used. Not once did I see a staff member clear the tables. You had to search for a clean one. As for the breakfast...I won't even start to try and describe it.

-one of the days I went up to the roof garden. It was old, tired and dirty. I think the hotel needs some updated photos....or a major renovation

-as for the good points. There was free Internet....and I enjoyed the location. It was in a residential area, clean streets and I felt very safe. There was a bus stop one hundred meters away. From there you could catch a bus that took only fifteen minutes to Termini Station.

You may ask why I chose this hotel after reading other Tripadvisor reviews. I unfortunately used Hotwire.com to book. They rated it as part of their four star establishments. When I was assigned to this hotel I checked the reviews. I emailed Tripadvisor immediately . They told me that they had just reviewed this hotel and it maintained its "Four Star" rating. I knew all of the reviews could not be unrealistic. I of course emailed them when I looked about my room. They said I had to actually phone them at my expense in the US to discuss the situation. Why I could not communicate with them via email like I had been doing is a mystery. Needless to say I will not use their service again......

So to summarize the Grand Hermitage....don't go if you are expecting a "Four Star" estamblishment.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank YYZKeith
Berlin, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

I stayed five nights in this hotel and it was acceptable, but not the best choice one can make for to stay in Rome. It was clean and the staff was friendly. But the room was very small and looked as if the interior hasn't been renewed since a lot of decades. The whole hotel made the impression as if it had gread times, but also as if those days are gone. Degenerated elegance. But all in all it was okay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Melanie N
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

No hot water and help from front desk is the worst I've ever seen, they said it would be fixed in 30min, it has been 24 hrs and they still keep saying 30min. Don't stay here even ifs free. A hostel would have better services

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Greatdane85303

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

Athens
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

The pros and cons of this hotel are-
Pros: Nice and safe residential area
Clean rooms
Reliable wi fi
Very nice piazza (de muse) very close where you can have a coffee
Cons
Out of date decoration
Small rooms that need re-decorating
Horrible location-only one bus reaches the hotel (number 360) and far away from the metro. Be prepared to pay something from 14 euros to 22 euros from spanish steps. Italian taxis are not reliable with the price.
Breakfast has a good variety of food but not very good quality-horrible coffee.
Staff not very willing to help.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MVAK
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

I stayed for three nights at the Grand Hotel Hermitage. At the reception you feel it as a Grand Hotel. By the time you check in and reach your room, it is no longer Grand. Rooms are a bit small, the shower area very small. Not adequate plug facility to charge your batteries. Can plan and make it Grand and restore it's image.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RaviMumbai
Caxias Do Sul, RS
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

I confess I was curious about this hotel after reading so many negative reviews here and decided to check it out by myself in the the first week of the year, normally dedicated to my master team fencing training at the nearby Club Scherma Roma. The hotel is in "Quartiere Parioli", a nice residential area in the North of the city. There's a bus stop a few meters away and a easy 15 min ride takes you directly to Termini (central) Station from where you can walk, take the metro everywhere or the train to the airport. Rooms are nice, breakfast above average, wi-fi works all around for free, there's a mini refrigerator available ... so, I found it quite all right and I would never find anything similar in the chaotic city center without paying a fortune. Okay, there are some negative aspects: no free parking in the area in case you need it, one or another member of the staff appeared not to be in a good mood and - most important for me - the walls really should be sound-proof because you can easily listen to every single word or sound your neighbors make ... I mean every ! In the end it's worth the price. For more take a look at the pictures, they have a lot to say.

Room Tip: I will have to walk to find a restaurant at night so bring some snacks to the hotel or pass by the m...