“Good budget hotel -But a warning”
Review of Hotel Arcangelo

Hotel Arcangelo
Ranked #521 of 1,258 Hotels in Rome
Kochi
“Good budget hotel -But a warning”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

This hotel is nicely located near Vatican city.Metro and bus are at walkable distance(not with heavy luggage). But I had an unpleasant experience which never happened to me before.
I am a non drinker and my my wife also,after two night stay somebody drank one small bottle of some alcohol from the Fridge inside the room,I am sure that either they didn't billed this or somebody from the staff took it.Anyway I lost 12 Euros for this.So warning to everybody if you are not planning to take anything from the Fridge inside the room (anyway it is expensive) ask them to take it before your check in.Other than that I would like to mention the old guys in the reception were very good in guiding us with our locations and helpful.They arranged a taxi for us in a reasonable price in contrast to the Rome airport Taxi thieves who will loot everything by diverting their ways to keep the meter running.

The breakfast was also very good and there is a running lady in the dining room who says Italian and " everything ok "

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Sr r

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Firstly, I'll address the two key complaints that we read about on here before we went:
Grumpy/rude staff - during our stay there were 3 different people on reception over the 5 days, 2 were fantastic, they couldn't have done more to make us feel comfortable and make sure we had everything we could possibly need and were very friendly, but the other 1 was a bit cold, although he was quite helpful, if a bit creepy, when we first arrived and were trying to work out how to lock the door to our room from the inside, when we then got a call from reception from him telling us that it locks automatically, a bit unnerving as we didn't know how he could tell we were trying to lock it but was helpful to know! He was also the member of staff who gave us several maps and information about what to do and where to go, so was very helpful.
Breakfast - breakfast was okay, it was a very European breakfast in that it was mostly pastries and fruit and things like that, but that's understandable as most of their guests seemed to be Italian, German or French when we stayed, it wasn't fantastic but I wouldn't be expecting too much for a hotel breakfast, although there wasn't always much left by the time we made it down between 9 and 10
Other important factors are the location, which really could not be better, a 5 minute walk from the Vatican City and all that comes with it, a short walk from a Spar supermarket, the Castel San Angelo, and a range of shops and restaurants on a main shopping area. Importantly, it was also close to 2 Metro stations, which is important as they seem to be few and far between in some parts of Rome! Despite all this, the hotel is actually on a fairly quite side street so there are no issues with traffic or anything.
The room size was more than adequate, and all though the decorations were different, I didn't think that they were as horrific as some people make them sound! The large mirrors on the wall also added to the light in the room and were quite nice.
Finally, make sure you pay a visit to the roof terrace, and get some drinks or snacks from the supermarket to take up there as it is really calm and quiet, with some great views, particularly of the Vatican, and a nice little bonus for staying at this hotel!
Overall, if you're staying in Rome for a few days and looking for somewhere relatively cheap to stay then I would definitely recommend it, not sure it'd be great for a long term stay but anything for a week or less and this hotel is perfect. Enjoy Rome!

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank SamLeveridge
Houston
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We have stayed a few times in Rome and just haven't been happy with our hotels yet. This area was nice and we felt safe roaming around. I liked popping over to the castel sant'angelo and letting my daughter play - really relaxing.

The hotel itself was very average. The staff was fine but not very helpful. The breakfasts were horrible and they kept running out of food and then being surprised by it each day. The room itself was covered in a strangely bright and wild fabric that made me feel almost sick. It sounds strange I know but being in a very tiny orange box was not relaxing. I have never complained about decor it was just that obnoxious. Also the bed was one of the worst I have stayed in and I left feeling like I had been camping out on the ground. Oh yes, we had ants in the tub.

I do not know where to recommend but we will keep trying. Rome is worth it!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Great little hotel. Excellent reception staff, very helpful and always willing to assist. Hotel close to Vatican...5 minute walk if you don't get lost like we did. The area is safe to walk around at night and streets are well signed to make it easier to find your way back to starting point. Many, many choices for dining. Famous gelati shop close to hotel. Hop on, hop on bus just minutes away. Bed mattress in hotel room hard as a rock, however pillows and doonah warm and comfortable we went in winter. Breakfast substantial, plenty of choice, we even took rolls and cold meat for lunch when touring for the day. Waitress makes a great cappachino. Decor of hotel is lovely even though wall paper in room very LOUD...bright red.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Doonah63
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I spent four days in Rome and selected this hotel for the location and price.
The staff was always helpful and friendly.
The room was small which is not a problem for me since I use it only to sleep. But the bed was quite small and I had some problems with it in the first night.
The location is perfect since you are close to the Vatican/Sant'Angelo area and have a nearby metro station. To have diner I recommend to go to Piazza Navona area since the restaurants there look nicer and cheaper.
The breakfast in the hotel was really good.

I will return to Rome and will again select this hotel!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Luxembourg
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in march 2013. The hotel has a great location close to Vatican and also piazza Cavour for airport bus. The staff couldn't be more helpful. The room was clean and fine. The room is dark with red velour wallpaper. The breakfast was ok for a 3 star. They will make special coffee if necessary. The hotel has a roof top terrace which I am sure is nice in good weather ( with view of St. Peter's). Overall good price / quality.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LuxTraveller
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I was looking for a hotel in the Prati area of Rome and Hotel Arcangelo fit just fine. Considering the proximity of the hotel to the Vatican (a short walk), and two main subway stations, Ottaviano and Lepanto, the rates are very reasonable. The room I had was small but not tiny and it seemed soundproof and very conducive to a good night sleep. The breakfast was adequate. The hotel does advertise free parking and indeed it does have it. The parking is actually an ally behind the hotel accessible from a side door with a very limited capacity. I was there for 4 nights and mine was the only car there, I am not sure how they deal with more than 3 cars which I believe is the most you can fit in that ally. All in all, the staff is very accommodating and willing to help without being intrusive, the rates are fair and the location is perfect; who could ask for anything more?

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family