“Not bad, not great.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #486 of 1,291 Hotels in Rome
West Pittston, Pennsylvania
“Not bad, not great.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for 5 nights. Being alone means you get a really small room which is usually the case in Italy. Although small, the room was clean and the bathroom wasn't a bad size. The staff was helpful but not necessarily outgoing and the breakfast was fine. In fact, the woman running the breakfast was a highlight. I stayed in room 32. You have to go downstairs to use the WiFi. But when I was charging my Ipad on the bathroom outlet I discovered a hot spot. So I could access the internet in the bathroom. The location is really good and the neighborhood is quiet.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
The Woodlands, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

Stayed here for four nights. The hotel has a very tranquil location... very little street noise, so we were able to leave our window open all night. Don't expect much from the staff as far as answering more complicated questions. The free breakfasts every morning and minibar in the room were definitely a plus! Bed and bathroom very clean. Expect the beds to be pretty hard. It is a fairly far walk from the subway, but convenient to the Vatican. For European standards, very good!

Room Tip: Try Mama's restaurant around the corner!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carrie R
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

This hotel is located is a quiet area of rome very close to the vatican. However the hotel itself is noisy. Paper thin walls. I was woken at 7am by hotel staff dragging the roof top furniture around the terrace which when on for 30mins above my room. When I complained about this and asked to moved rooms I was told very rudely that this would not be possible for 24hrs.

On top of this, TV was broken but later fixed, No Aircon at all. Bathroom is tiny get whiffs of Sewage from the drains, Wifi in the basement and reception only. No towels left for my colleague and she got a wakeup call at 6.30am without request!

Keep looking....

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Perrin-family
Champaign IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

Everything adequate for a comfortable stay with a few parking spaces for cars. A 10-minute walk from Lepanto metro station. Quiet neighborhood and close to the Vatican. Nearby department store, Coin, has a grocery store downstairs inside its entrance and downstairs. Just get there before 8:30 p.m. The hotel’s solarium can get a little noisy depending on who else is there, but it was a nice place to catch a lovely breeze in the evening and enjoy the rooftop view. One cranky man at the desk, but the others were very nice and helpful. En route to hotel, heading directly south from the Lepanto station, you’ll find Mondo Arancina and Gelarmony next to each other. We found them by accident and made daily stops for arancine and gelato. Definitely Sicilian with brioche and cannoli shells available to be filled at the latter.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

Overall I have to say that I enjoyed my stay at Hotel Arcangelo.

Pros:
-The location. It's close to the Vatican, the river and Castel Sant'Angelo. It's located on a quiet street so you don't have to worry too much about the traffic noise and the constant honking of cars and mopeds.
-The rooftop terrace. A perfect location for people to gather for a drink and marvel at the dome of St.Peter's Basilica (see photos). You need to bring your own drinks and snacks by the way, unless you wanna buy them from the vending machine located there (soft drinks or beers).
-The rooms are fairly spacious and reasonably clean. It took us a while to figure out how to work the TV but that was probably our fault.

Cons:
-What must be the slowest (and smallest) elevator ever made. It takes you for ever to go even a couple of floors up and you may need multiple trips if your bags happen to be slightly big.
-The staff. I wouldn't call them rude but they weren't terribly friendly either. At times I felt they were bothered by our presence and were trying hard to not show it explicitly. I have to say though that they gave us a great recommendation for a restaurant down the road that proved to be the best dining experience we had in Rome by a long shot.
-The money we got charged for allegedly having bought drinks from the vending machines: Each room key comes with a little sensor that can be used to get drinks from the vending machines located at the rooftop. You simply tap the sensor on the vending machine and the drinks get charged to your room. Well, my wife and I never used it yet we got charged 10 Euros upon check out for "drinks we got". I tried to explain this to the receptionist but he insisted that we pay (in cash no less). I found this unacceptable and somewhat dodgy.

I wouldn't mind if I had to stay there again but I have to say that I would probably look elsewhere first.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed in room 35 over Easter weekend. It was a fine place to retire to after a long day of seeing Rome! It is in a great location, just about 10 minutes from the Vatican. The room was very large and comfortable. It was also very clean. There were some TV channels that didn't work, but that only really bugged my husband, as I promptly fell asleep in the comfortable bed each evening! The breakfast was large and plentiful! There were many choices, and we had a delicious breakfast each morning. The rooftop terrace was beautiful, and the dome of St. Peter's basilica was breathtaking at night. Since we were there over Easter, we could hear the mass on Holy Saturday echoing through the night. It was beautiful experience! The only thing that was "wrong" with the hotel was that the vending machine on the terrace has bottles of water listed as one price, but upon checkout, we found out that the water was 5 euros a bottle! Other than that, we enjoyed out stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lenabug1101
Bournemouth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

We stayed 3 nights here, chosen mainly because it had free secure parking for our motorbike. The staff were very helpful and the rooms were quiet, clean and comfortable. I'm taking a blob off my score because the bathroom was the worst of our 3 week trip - the shower would only do boiling or freezing, and the bath took forever to fill. The breakfast was excellent with freshly squeezed juice and freshly made fried & scrambled eggs. Superb location, we walked all over Rome, even the walk to the Colusseum was only about half an hour, and the Vatican very close. This hotel would be excellent if it had a bar, however there are mini bars and you can take your drinks up to the roof terrace. Only other problem was that the wifi only worked in reception, not in the room or breakfast area.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple