“Not for me”
Review of Hotel Memphis

Hotel Memphis
Ranked #408 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed August 8, 2012

This was not my kind of hotel but i wouldn't say it was bad.
+ I found the staff friendly and helpful and the hotel was clean and in a good condition. I think it's in a good location, it was in walking distance of the trevi fountin, the vatican, the vatican museum, the colosseum, the villa borghese, the borghese gallery and more tourist areas in Rome.
- I did not like how small the hotel felt. Whilst having breakfast i felt uncomfortable as the staff watch you eat. I also found the walls very thin, you could hear conversations and doors close in the hall and i could also hear the people in the room next door. The rooms were very dark as the windows didn't allow much light in. I didn't feel like i was in Rome because of this.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank molly g
Remarhotels, Direttore vendite at Hotel Memphis, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

Dear Molly,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel.
It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay.
Your feedback is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve our standards.

We are sorry that you didn't fully appreciate our hotel, we hope to have you again as our guest in the future.

Kindest regards
Management

Reviewed August 5, 2012

I am giving this hotel an excellent rating, not because it is perfect, but based on what I consider to be an exceptional value. It is well located, but so are many hotels in Rome. It does appear to have been recently remodelled or converted to a hotel and is in very good condition, clean and maintained. I reserved a single room and stayed in room 102. Based on the floor diagram one room does appear to be smaller, but 2 people could stay very comfortably in my room Bathroom was modern and very very nice. There is no view or balcony, but that is fine with me in this price range. I did see some negative comments about the breakfast, but I thought it was quite good and fairly typical of a European hotel breakfast. Staff was professional, polite and helpful. I strongly recommend this hotel and would stay there again without worries.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank RonMexicoChicago

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing the Hotel Memphis for your recent visit in Rome.
We are so thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for the observations and wonderful feedback.
We appreciate your support and look forward to having you back for future stays in Rome.

Kindest regards.
Management

Reviewed July 22, 2012

This is a lovely hotel. Great buffet breakfast, friendly staff with well spoken English. Clean moden rooms with aircon. I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and i'll be using it again. The restaurant next door is also good value and English is spoken.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2012

This hotel is wonderful and I have no hesitation in recommending it.
The décor of the rooms is to a high standard and are of a good size. The hotel is spotlessly clean, staff very helpful and location A1 for visiting all that Rome has to offer. The self service breakfast is delicious and plentiful.
Within 5 minutes you can walk to both the Spanish Steps & Trevi Fountain! From the Trevi Fountain you will find a lovely walk to the Pantheon, lined with great restaurants & shops to browse.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nick R
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for night and it was great for all our needs. We had been to Rome before but needed a hotel that was very close to all the sights and at a great price, this is why we went with this hotel.
It's in close waking distance to the Trevi Fountain, Spanish steps, Pantheon etc and is on a lovely quiet street.
The rooms are clean,tidy,specious and modern. I really wouldn't hesitate to stay in this hotel again. The breakfast room is small but we managed to get a seat the next morning to before our flight home.

All in all... It's a nice little hotel with an excellent location.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 4-nights in June. It is centrally located near Barberini Square on a quiet side street.

Basically, everything about this hotel is small, except for the breakfast. Not sure how many rooms there are in total, but the hotel has four floors and each floor has six rooms I think - so guessing around 24-rooms.

I booked a single room but they put me in a double room the first night. Small room with a double bed, very clean. No bathtub, but a nice shower in a small shower stall. The next three nights I was in a single room - very small. I am only 5'4", and if I spread my arms out I could touch the side walls. The shower stall was incredibly tiny - even I had a hard time washing myself without banging the sides. If you are a relatively large person, think hard before booking a single room. The double bed is also on the smaller side.

The single room was on the fourth floor, and on two of the three nights I stayed there, the hot water ran out before I got out of the shower. Didn't have this problem the first night nor in the double room on the first floor. Not sure what to make of this.

I booked through Expedia and it included breakfast. Scrambled eggs, cold cuts, wieners plus the usual items that come with a continental breakfast. Really quite good.

There is no computer available for use by guests.

The desk staff were quite helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Get as double room if you want a bit of breathing space
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank sirijay
Reviewed June 27, 2012

This hotel is centrally located and the facilities are updated. It's a good place to stay for a reasonable price. It is located near the Via Tritone, Via Veneto and Piazza Barberini on a small alley off the main street. The bathrooms in the rooms are updated and modern. Wi Fi is available by the hour for a charge from the front desk. There are also several restaurants nearby.

I will say the walls are VERY thin here-- you can hear your neighbors talking in their rooms and their doors slamming will wake you up every morning. There are more English speaking television channels here than the other hotels we stayed in, as well. There are a lot of reviews about the staff being less than helpful- we didn't necessarily try them, but they did seem a little put out with our small requests... so much so that I didn't ask them for hotel reservations or other assistance.

Also, upon check out, there was a mysterious $12 Euro "city tax" they charged us that had to be paid in cash. I learned that charges required to be paid in cash isn't uncommon in Italy, but was still irritating after I had supposedly paid all the charges on Hotels.com. Overall, this place felt updated, safe and centrally located.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple