“Nice stay - will be back.”
Review of Marghera Hotel

Marghera Hotel
Ranked #911 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed May 11, 2009

I stayed at this hotel with my wife for 2 days during our Italy round trip in April/May. I read about the guest reviews beforehand but I must disagree with some of them. The Hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. No communication problems at all. The room was small but relaxing. No much noise from the street and that so close to the station. A rich and delicious breakfast in a fancy tearoom was a great start into the day. The only thing which I wasn't so pleased about was the Hotel Elevator. Ok, sometimes it worked and the other minute not. That's troublesome if your room is on the top floor and you have heavy luggage. Well, they managed it somehow to fix it in time.
If we have a chance to visit Rome again, we might choose this small Hotel a second time.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dokodemoguy
There are newer reviews for Marghera Hotel

Reviewed October 7, 2008

As our first experience with hotels in Italy, this one was quite worrying. We had a similar experience to other travellers in being charged the room rate to our credit card while our preference for cash payment was refused with the excuse that "this is the way it is in all hotels". Not the case at all we discovered -their deceiptfulness stuck in our mind. At least we didn't pay in cash AND by card as others seem to have done. Wonder how many travellers failed to realise they had been dudded - have to wonder about the ethics of this hotel.

The room was basically OK if a little scuffed and the services worked well. Can't comment on breakfast as we were up too early for them.

Overall we would advise travellers to give this one a miss. A decidedly sleazy feel about the place and its staff.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Pierangela, Proprietario at Marghera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2009

Correction!
Dear Madame, your situation was a special one and we really apologize for that. When you have to work with the people, have to offer them the best solution available. Sometimes the bank are closing their servers to do maintenance work, and they are calling us before to warn us about this temporary problem. Sometimes, the landline phone company are working around. All this situation put us in the impossibility of charging our guest from the credit card (becouse the bank or the landline is down) and almost everybody want to pay with credit card. To avoid this problems, somethimes, we decided to draw the money in the morning, before your arrival. You are right, it's not ok, but on the other hand, many people was pleased, and somebody, like you, was angry. To avoid this embarassing situation, we changed the bank and the the phone company, so now, we don't have this problems any more. We understood you and I apologized for this becouse this things unfortunately may happen and they are not dipending on us.

Reviewed July 5, 2008

Just a cautionary word of advice regarding this hotel – if they hold your credit card details (to secure the initial booking) and then ask you to pay the bill in cash – refuse! They actually took full payment for our 3 day stay by credit card without consulting us, or even informing us, even though they had asked us to pay cash, and we trustingly obliged. This meant we paid twice for our stay. A simple error perhaps? Perhaps not, as on our return home after discovering this double charge we phoned the hotel, only to find the phone abruptly hung-up when we explained what had happened. Our emails were completely ignored. We did eventually get our money refunded thanks to the intervention of the booking agent, but we were told (rather worryingly) that this is not the first time this had happened.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2008

If you are considering booking this hotel PLEASE be careful as you will be asked, like most hotels, to hold the booking with your credit card details. Our experience was that on the second day of our stay they took payment from our credit card without our knowledge and then asked to pay in cash on departure (by prior e-mail) which we did. Manager on reception did not count the cash but merely put it under the desk and at the time I thought, that is very trusting of her, not knowing that they had taken payment already!! On return from Rome we then realised we had paid twice and trying to get our money back was a nightmare. The hotel did not respond to e-mails nor and just put the phone down when we tried to call denying all knowledge. After one month with the help of the booking agent and almost daily 'phone calls liaising with the agent we managed get our refund of £800. The breakfast was also disappointing if you are not early birds you will not catch the worm (they run of of bread)!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 2, 2008

very clean, lovely and comfortable bed. small bathroom but very up- to- date shower room. one thing that really irritated me was the location of the standing towel holder which made the towels touched the side of commode.walking distance to train station -this was a real plus because of the ridiculous cost of riding the taxi..very small elevator. friendly and helpful staff. did not get the chance to eat breakfast because of early departure.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2007

I Just want to warn people about this hotel. We got married in rome in November I have been wanting to write this review for so so long. It was a wonderful day etc everything went so so well. My cousin as a wedding present booked this hotel for us on the night of our wedding. We were so happy with the surprise etc until the night of the wedding. It was absoloutely terrible... the front staff were very rude and uninterested during the night we got a phonecall to our bedroom to be told to vacate the room as there was a problem with the credit card. The staff must have got all the details mixed up put some american guy on the telephone telling us were were staying using his card shouting down the phone at us. It was totally disasterous. The next morning the staff tried to pass the whole lot off. They were fighting amongst themselves with a big dog gone totally crazy inside the desk. Eventually we had to get the police to sort everything out. The staff were gone over the top one girl was crying as the owner was shouting at her. It was just unbelievable. I would not every stay in this hotel again. It was so unprofessional the way they handled the whole situation. We got absoloutely no satisfaction only people shouting and screaming at each other, we had to just walk out of the place. Please Beaware....

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Doolin300
Reviewed October 3, 2007

I reserved two double rooms for my friends and I. I was at this hotel three nights and my friends 5. I thought my room was rather nice and thought we'd lucked out. My friends had a room that was a bit more beat up looking (the walls were scuffed) and looked out over an air vent that apparently smelled bad. My friends had a problem with the faucet and with their shower. The people in charge came straight away for the shower and my friends didn't tell them about the tap, so nothing was done (but that's our fault). They also had a problem with a spray air freshener thing. The management did not know how to turn it off and said it couldn't be done, but my friend found a way to do that. I think they found the room to be too expensive, but I think it's par for the course in Rome. My only personal comment is that I reserved the room with a credit card and they charged the card without asking me. I'd seen the reviews here and brought cash and would have prefered to pay that way. The location is ideal for airport arrivals. The train arrives 200m from the hotel, and that eliminates a lot of stress. It's about a 15-20 minute walk from the Colosseum.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends