“Not a honeymoon hotel !!”

Hotel Diana Roof Garden
Ranked #350 of 1,258 Hotels in Rome
Riyadh Province, Saudi Arabia
“Not a honeymoon hotel !!”
Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

I got married 3 months ago and my husband and I chose Rome for our honeymoon. When we arrived to the hotel, 1 person out of 3 at the front desk spoke English and the bellboys didn't understand at all. So it was really hard to communicate! Upon our arrival to our room I was shocked by how much the room was small as well as the bathroom (we were expecting at least a better and romantic room!) they dont do anything special for honeymooners. ps: when our travel agency reserved, they wrote to the hotel that we are on our honeymoon. We changed rooms but all rooms are the same size. Diana hotel is so NOT a place to stay in during your honeymoon! The staff really needs to learn english more! We were really disappointed. However the roof garden is great and overlooks Rome and the location was also good.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rawan M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Aspen, Colorado
Reviewed November 21, 2013

The hotel is impossible to find, front desk is stuffy, unfriendly and unamused by first time visitors to Rome. By the way, I found so many helpful, friendly, courteous Romans, it was a sharp contrast to the atmosphere at Hotel Diana Roof Garden. The Roof Garden was inconsistently open, lobby bar/restaurant had short hours for food - I believe the kitchen closes early and only microwavable fare is available. The room I reserved online by picture and the room I got were also nowhere near the same - and to the negative. Wifi difficult to access even in the lobby.

There are so many places to choose from in Rome that can offer you much more, I would not settle for mediocre here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank cs2468
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I had read some negative reviews on here so was a bit sceptical about how this hotel would actually be. I have to say that the negative reviews are unfounded in my eyes! The hotel was very near to the Termini which takes you straight from/to the airport, staff were friendly, helpful & very smiley. Room was big, clean and they give you a couple of free bottles of water, a can of pop and a bag of crisps for free each day in the minibar. The only issue we had was when they checked out our room key before 10am on the day of our checkout but this was resolved with not too much trouble. Also, we were on the delivery alley side and it was a bit noisy around 6am but this was not a major problem. Hotel is in a good location & there are lots of nice, cheap places to eat nearby. I would recommend a place called Cotto which was about two streets away. Lovely food and staff!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the street where you enter the hotel
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sarah M
Manchester, England
Reviewed November 18, 2013

My wife and I had visited Rome only once before many years ago. Back then we picked a more central location for the main attractions but this had the disadvantage of being further from the station than we'd have liked (because it's so easy to get from the airport by train).
I selected the Diana Roof Garden hotel on the basis that it was closer to the station and because it must be one of the few hotels (still relatively close to the centre) where we could enjoy breakfast on a roof terrace with a view. We weren't necessarily interested in facilities on offer during the day or whether the evening dining was fine - the hotel was essentially a comfortable crash pad to sleep at night and hopefully somewhere pleasant to have breakfast in the morning before each long day of sight-seeing etc. In this respect the hotel was great and I don't recall being disturbed by outside noise once. We all slept extremely well.
We selected one of the hotel's apartment type rooms (2 bedrooms, bathroom and a kitchen) although on arrival we were offered either this room or another which swapped the kitchen for another bathroom - we opted for the latter and it made even more sense.
The 'apartment' was plenty big enough for our stay (me, my wife and 18 yr old daughter - would be a great choice for families with small children also) and was kept clean and tidy by the maids.
A nice touch was the complimentary refreshments in the room (instant tea and coffee along with a pack of crisps, water and a soft drink) not because I begrudge paying for refreshments or room service, it's just nice to have them on hand after a long day walking the streets.
Breakfast was also absolutely fine, made all the more enjoyable if taken on the rooftop garden.
Based on other reviews and our own experience, I think the biggest single factor which prevents higher ratings (and it doesn't do too badly in any event) is that the staff don't appear to be overly friendly or, seemingly, that happy. It's a pity because what they're actually doing is quite effective.
On the whole, I believe the hotel offers really good value for money and if I was looking for something which provided a sensible balance between comfort (rather than luxury) and cost then I reckon I'd struggle to find something any better in Rome. It seems a shame that it's just the lack of a few smiling faces which would be all that's needed for an even better presence.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank MikeHibb666
Lancashire
Reviewed November 12, 2013

My wife, my 21 yr old son and myself have just spent a really pleasant stay at this hotel. This is the first hotel that I have had reservations about after reading several negative reviews here.
However for us the negativity was unfounded the staff were really pleasant and friendly and made us welcome from the outset.
We spent three nights here in really comfortable rooms. the one that my wife and I was in was a bit on the snug side but hey what else do you do in a room in Rome except sleep, it suited our needs. The room that our son was in was really nice, bordering on boutique style, this was next to our room as requested.
The hotel is situated in a really great area for all attractions and in an area where restaurants are plentyfull and good value, which cannot be said of the tourist haunts around the vatican we paid just short of 60 euros near the hotel but 106 euros in a small eatery near to the Vatican for the same sort of meal.
The only thing for us that the rooms lack are coffee and tea facilities but this was more than made up for by the chance of eating breakfast on the rooftop without a thermal vest in November.
I would recommend this hotel for its price, location and the friendly staff.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank westcountryBadBear
Fishkill, New York
Reviewed November 7, 2013

My hubby and I stayed here for 4 nights in October.
The location is perfect!!! We walked every where. Only took a cab one morning and the front desk arranged it for us.
The front desk, in my opinion needed some training in customer service. There were 4 employees standing in the general area of the desk when we arrived. No one else ( customer wise) was around. No one made eye contact for 4 minutes or so. I will say check in time was 1pm. We got there at 10 am, and they let us check. How ever no bell service!!
Breakfast was a home run. We ate and were out by 7 am each morning.
The room was on the 6 th floor. Very nice room. ( We were a little spastic , the electric did not work...we had to put the key card in the slot by the door...silly us.) They are energy conscious , which is good.
Our room was on the court yard side. The weather was quite warm. We opened the window, beautiful.....till the restaurants around started to close and it was like New Year's Eve with the pots banging. We just closed the window. Then opened it again in the morning around 4 am. And this is where our true Italy experience , there was a man singing every morning. BEAUTIFUL !!! Just added a special touch to our trip.
The roof top restaurant was great for breakfast but we tried 2x to eat there. The same staff was there from the morning. I felt bad for them by 8 pm they were exhausted and it showed.
So we went to the restaurant next door.
So, as long as you are not a very demanding individual this hotel is great.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank K2mgmc
Danbury, Connecticut
Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

Rome is a city where panoramic views are rare but the roof garden at the Hotel Diana gives you a nearly 360 degree view of Rome. Have a cocktail/appetizer con mi amici Vincenzo.
We also stayed at the hotel and were very comfortable and central to all we needed to see, do etc.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family