“A very poor experience”

Hotel Diana Roof Garden
Ranked #320 of 1,273 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed October 28, 2013

This is quite possibly the worst hotel we have stayed at, the service was woeful (at best) the staff could not be bothered to help in any way at all. Our bathroom flooded and we told receptionist, she curtly said, yes, yes I'll get someone to fix it. They did...and left all out towels wet through on the floor of the bathroom where they had been used to mop up excess water...go figure!
The rooftop bar had no white wine, only red available, and it is an excuse for a bar really, the views are industrial and the place is quite tatty.I can't even begin to describe how bad the bar staff were, they made Fawlty Towers look 5 star!! The breakfast was reasonable though and although it was exactly the same each day at least there was some choice. The hotel is also reasonably well located within very easy access of the terminus for buses and trains.
No chance at all that we would stay here again. Total disappointment. Room tiny as well.

Room Tip: I would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy, well, maybe my worst enemy but no one else. Hope...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Boardie234
Write a ReviewReviews (1,747)

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Recently, I spent 2 nights in a double room with my traveling companion on an escorted tour of Italy. The room was small, but comparable to some New York City hotel room sizes. The room and bathroom were clean and nicely appointed. Be sure to bring your washcloths to Italy. Most hotel rooms don't furnish them. Other personal amenities were present except for body lotion. The first night we discovered that the shower was draining slowly, but after it was reported, it was fixed by the next evening when we returned from our day exploring Rome. The desk staff were pleasant and responsive to the issue.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank djsjd
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Despite of the rooms are very small, everything works fine in Diana Roof to me. The rooms were clean and the staff were nice. They have a very good breakfast which you can enjoy in the nice roof of the hotel (Yes, that's why the hotel calls Diana Roof). The Hotel is near the Termini Station, where you can get a bus or the subway to anywhere in Rome.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 23, 2013

The hotel was clean. Like many big city hotels the room was small.

The check-in process was strange. I've never had the desk clerk make no effort to establish eye contact with me.

The air conditioner was not very efficient and had difficulty in clearing the early October heat from the room. Making matters worse was that the air conditioning shut down every night between 3 a.m and 6 a.m. (I checked with the front desk. All the room air conditioners were shut down at this time. Asked if other hotels did this, I was simply told that this was the practice of the Hotel Diana. The clerk clearly didn't want to discuss the matter further).

Because it worked poorly during the day time, I spoke to another clerk the next day to ask if they would check the unit. I never got word from the office but when we came back to the room that afternoon, there was a very damp carpet spot underneath the unit. Which grew in size the next day. My wife spoke to the front desk the next day and when we returned that afternoon, the wet spot was bigger.

One other comment: the windows in the room could be opened. Outdoor street noise seemed to subside about 1:30 a.m. That said, I would never stay in this hotel in the hotter months of the year.

The hair dryer worked fine as long as we didn't set it to high, in which case it would completely shut down in less than a minute and wouldn't restart even after waiting a few minutes.

Wi-fi was free though rarely available in the room. Even in the lobby it was impossible to get a signal at times.

All in all I can't imagine the set of circumstances that would lead me to return.

Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed October 23, 2013

While the hotel itself was OK the single room I had for 4 nights certainly wasn't REMOTELY like any of the photos on the internet! Very small shower room & shower cubicle so small as you bend to wash feet, your bum touches the wall making you move forward and hit your head on the shower door! (and I'm not a large person). Certainly not a 4* hotel in my eyes. Food served in bar at night all frozen, not what one would expect! Roof garden very nice though and breakfast also very good.

Room Tip: Don't book a single!!!?
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Sue F
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Beware, beware of staying at this hotel if you don't want your bags stolen! We stayed here for one night on September 14 2013. We had checked in earlier than were able to get into our room so the porter took our six bags to lock in the locked luggage cupboard in the foyer and gave us a receipt for six pieces of luggage. We had been there less than half an hour as we went to check out the rooftop garden. When we came back to the foyer the porter who could speak little English told us that one bag was missing and there were now only five pieces; one had been stolen! It was pretty obvious that it was an inside job; this was made even more obvious by the hotel reception staff who weren't the slightest bit interested in our dilemma. They weren't prepared to give us a letter or statement for insurance purposes unless we got the police involved which we didn't have time to do as we were leaving early the next morning to catch the train to Venice. Like the almost identical review below they told us they would email us if the bag was found but of course we've heard nothing and never would because they had no intention of trying to find it because it meant nothing to them and were obviously used to it happening regularly. We were told that "it happens a lot around there". I'm surprised they're still in business. And the porter had the cheek to stand and wait for a tip when he took our remaining bags to our room!
Our room was disgusting, old and dark and the window looked straight onto a brick wall. We demanded to be moved and were moved to a room that was only slightly better because it had a balcony and was sunny but the rooms are very tired and dilapidated. The staff are very unfriendly except for the young waiters up at the rooftop buffet who were very pleasant and helpful. The breakfast was minimal with little choice.
WE WOULD NEVER STAY AT THIS HOTEL AGAIN AND NEVER RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE!! Their theft ruined our holiday and I have lost very sentimental belongings that can never be replaced. We cannot claim on insurance as we have no proof for them seeing the hotel staff would not provide us with a letter. The fact that there is a similar review it appears that theft is a common occurrence for one-night stayers because they don't have time to contact police and this is obviously how the hotel gets away with it.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Christine Lee H
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Hotel Diana Roof Garden is perhaps the worst hotel I’ve stayed in Rome so far. Location was okay, it’s still a few blocks away from the train station, around 10-15 mins walk but with large luggage it could be difficult given that it is on a very

The room was bad. The furniture is old, the bed is way too soft, the room is small especially the washroom where you would almost fall into the toilet after you come out from the shower…

Breakfast was another flaw. They had very few varieties and the quality was very bad. Need to mention their service lift as there’s only one and it’s so slow that we had to press “up” even though we are going downstairs so we could make sure that we could get in.

Given the price, I could definitely find somewhere else like hip hotels with better facilities.

I would say this hotel is a barely 3-star hotel. I would definitely not recommend this hotel to anyone and I will not stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family