“Dishonest & Rude”

Hotel Diana Roof Garden
Ranked #333 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We booked the Hotel Diana Roof Garden because it was close to the train station. We only needed to stay for one night before catching the train to Venice. We arrived at the hotel on a Friday around lunch time and were told that our room was not yet ready. No problem, we checked in and the porter took our 6 pieces of luggage and issued us with 6 luggage receipts for each piece and showed us the small cupboard that it would be locked in. When we came back to get our luggage the porter opened the cupboard and said "There were 6 pieces of luggage but there is only 5 now", with a no care attitude and appeared to expect us to just accept the loss. We asked the receptionist what had happened to our other piece of luggage and she nastily said if you have a problem you have to report it to the police before we will do anything. She refused to get in touch with the porter who had taken our bags earlier as he had since finished his shift. She told us to come back on the Monday when the manager would be in and that he was the only person who was able to view the security footage.We explained that we were leaving the next morning (Saturday) she just gave us a tiresome look and said she couldn't do anything and ring the police. We had an appointment and didn't have time to wait for the police to come to make a statement. Eventually we were shown to our room which was so substandard & disgusting that we complained and told them to put us in a better room. The room they put us in had a balcony but was very tiny and not much better than the first. When we left we gave them our contact details for them to reach us if they found our bag, needless to say we have not heard from them. It is obvious that as the cupboard was locked and could only be accessed by a staff member that the hotel has thieves within its midst.Their rudeness and the way they treated us is not acceptable and I would advise anyone to think very very carefully before you stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: DON'T STAY AT THE HOTEL DIANA ROOF GARDEN there has to be better hotels than this one.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Peter F

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Close to the railway station, this hotel was a nice place to stay at the end of our fabulous Italian holiday. Apart from a gruff receptionist (for the duration of our stay), the staff were friendly, and welcoming. A special word for Vincenzo, our maitre de at the rooftop garden restaurant and bar. A fabulous place made even better by the service quality of this wonderful guy. He seemd to work 24 hours! When we return to Rome, we'll stay at this hotel, so no higher recommendation can be given. Rooms was reasonable size and well presented.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Assigned to us by CIT Tours prior to starting our South of Italy tour. This hotel has very Small rooms, very small elevators that need to wait for forever.
Breakfast is good. Would not stay there again

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is not very far from Fumicino airport.
Centrally located.
Walking distance to the bus & train station (eventhough didn't give it a try ....).
The same street has a lot of restaurants & shops.
It's not a huge hotel.
Single rooms reserved for me were a bit squeezed; yet clean.
The breakfast restaurant is not very large also. Simple breakfast served.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank salibarania
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I had a reservation for 1 night, Thursday 26 September. I had booked it on the "free cancellation 8% off" offer. I was in Rome for a few days 19-22, then flying to Genoa, then maybe returning to Rome for one night.

My plans changed, and I did not need the Hotel Diana Roof Garden for the night of Thursday 26 September. Their cancellation rules stated on the reservation form I had taken with me: "cancellations must be made directly to the hotel at least 48 hours before your expected arrival time". What could possibly go wrong?

I visited the hotel in person on Saturday 21st September to cancel, 5 days beforehand. The receptionist refused to accept my cancellation - I had booking reference, passport etc with me. She was arrogant, rude, dismissive. She told me I must cancel online through the ticket agency I had used. I pointed out I had booked directly through the hotel's own website! She said that made no difference. Their website routed via an agency and it was through them I must cancel.

I regarded my walking into the hotel in person was meeting their criteria "cancellations should be made directly to the hotel". They did not!

I told her I did not have a pc with me. That was, apparently, my problem. Though she did haughtily say I could use the hotel computer "over there" ..... er, why could she not do it herself?! She had my name on the system for the night in question and reference number! How hard could it be for them to cancel?

She told me I would have to come back on Monday and see the manager to see if he would accept the cancellation in person. "you have plenty of time before the 48 hours" she said, haughtily. No possible thought that maybe I would not be in the vicinity of the hotel that day, or even if I was, that I would want to make a second trip there.

I left in despair. I texted a friend in UK. He could make no sense of how to use their website to cancel the booking, and he had my details and reference number. But I gave him the hotel's email address, he emailed them, and they emailed on Monday to say my cancellation was accepted. No hint of an apology from them.

Had they had availability, I would have stayed there for my 4 nights 19-22 Sept. Luckily they didn't. Maybe the hotel is fine if you stay, I don't know.

But i would advise in the strongest possible terms not to make any booking at a rate advertising "free cancellation". They will put you through hell should you need to use the cancellation option.

A year ago I stayed at the StarHotel Metropole across the road for 6 days and it was superb. They were full this year, so I could not stay there. But I walked in to say hello to one friendly receptionist I recalled fondly - and I got a huge welcome, he remembered me. Quite a contrast.

I will never go near the Hotel Diana Roof Garden in future. AVOID. You can not trust them not to make life hell for you.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank charles r
Reviewed October 1, 2013

My Mum and I stayed here in July. Found it be in a great location. Reception staff oredered a few taxis for us. Not sure if they were working together, but the taxi drivers always seemed to take us the long way round. Never happened when we found our own taxi. Staff were polite and courteous to us. Rooftop Garden restaurant was lovely and had a nice view of the city. Good eateries and easy to find your way around Rome. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Emma A
Reviewed September 28, 2013

The only thing that you can benefit from is the location since it is located next to the subway and train station. Other than that, do not even ask for service. The breakfast buffet is unacceptable. If you are looking for an employee at breakfast, just try to chase the loud voices that annoys you in the morning since those people scream in the morning when talking to each others. The only person who approaches you is a kind trainee. The rooms are so small to the point that you can barely move.
I do not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple