1,525 results
All reviewsrocco forteconcierge staffvia del babuinogarden bargarden viewspanish stepsbeautiful hotelfour seasonsheart of romeluxury hotelplace to stay in romeeternal cityhotel restaurantthe location is perfectjunior suitevilla borghesetrevi fountain
Reviewed October 16, 2010

Just beautiful, excellent service and wonderful restaurant. We loved it. The area is extremely busy and noisy but the rooms were quiet and just lovely.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 7, 2010

I only spent one night in this hotel but I won't forget it. As a business traveller I have become a little bored with "5*" chain hotels, same decor different city. The Hotel de Russie had definitely broken away from that. Beautifully appointed spacious rooms. Magnificent courtyard away from the hussle and bussle of Rome. It is expensive but its worth it and I can't wait to go back, hopefully on a pleasure trip the next time!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 23, 2010

My husband and I arrived at the De Russie and were delighted to have been upgraded to a Junior Suite overlooking the Street. which we were pleased about as the scenery is always changing. We know that there are many rooms overlooking the beautiful gardens, but that view always stays the same that is of the garden.

Our room was extremely spacious with two balconies, a sofa and two arm chairs, a desk and chair and a centre table and a very nice television, very clean and in excellent and tasteful decorative condition. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was spacious.

The buffet breakfast was absolutely perfect, in fact what made it very special were the staff who realising that my husband and I liked a certain table and they kept that table for us for breakfast for the duration of our stay - we did not ask them to nor did they do that for financial reward - but just because they saw that we were happy there.

The food at the buffet breakfast was superb - I had prosecco to start with some smoked salmon followed by various cheeses and cold meats. My husband enjoyed the cereal and yogurt selection and nothing was too much trouble.

On the first night we did have dinner in their garden restaurant which was beautifully lit by so very many candles - very romantic dining under the stars by candlelight - but the food although my meal was tasty my husband felt that his meal could have been better but the surroundings and the service were just simply lovely.

After a long day of sightseeing it was a pleasure to go into the Spa and use their jacuzzi and my husband enjoyed the Sauna as well as the jacuzzi - you can really unwind and all the aches disappear.

The location could not be better - not far from anything.

The staff were very helpful, we had a very late flight back so they helped us with our baggage storing it for us, and put our valuables into their safe deposit box.

On the whole a very efficiently run hotel with excellent staff and a truly memorable holiday was enjoyed by us.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SanJon7
Reviewed September 20, 2010

I wanted to stay at the Hassler but it was entirely booked.I never liked the idea of the :De Russie"...it has received such mixed reviews on this site; and, as a member of Andrew Harper, I have heard mixed reviews through their client blog (although it is recommended by AH). The location is tops...equally close to the lovely Piazza del Popolo and the Spanish Steps (and the fan of streets leading from the Spanish Steps. It is a straight line from the hotel to the Piazza della Venezia. The hotel is dreary and a bit run-down. It really does not have a modern decor, but it isn't old-school luxurious either. We had an extremely large Junior Suite with a separate office-type room near the entrance to the suite. Off this "office" we had a lovely patio. The three huge windows overlooked the 'secret garden".....the view and quiet were lovely. I cannot understand why anyone would choose this hotel. The rooms at the Hassler are smaller, but the Panorama of the city from the top of the Steps is unforgettable. The back-facing rooms are pretty enough so the view is largely not missed (especially if you haven't seen it). But what sets the Hassler apart from the de Russie is the cleanliness and the seriously professional service at the Hassler. The rooms are gleamingly spotless. The concierge is dignified and all the staff is quiet and elegant and formal and knowledgeable.

To be fair to the de Russie, I arrived from Florence by train; during the journey my wallet was stolen: I arrived at the hotel with no cash or credit cards and the de Russie Front Office Manager greeted me at the entrance and directed the staff to charge the taxi to my room. He was quite sympathetic and he offered assistance. although there was none which could be provided.

But if my room had not been so large and so expensive, I would have thought I was in a tour-bus quality hotel: as I said, run-down furniture, the tiniest television I had ever seen and an unimpressive bathroom with a very stingy supply of unremarkable bath products. At all the other five star hotels I have visited in Italy have always outfitted the bathrooms with excellent products. There was a huge amount of closets and lots of comfortable room to sit: a huge sofa, enormous coffee table, club chairs, desk, etc. But drab and dreary with no thought to style whatsoever. The bed was creepy: the mattress pad did not fit the mattress and the sheets were constantly unravelling from underneath the mattress. My son was covered with at least thirty welts when he woke up on the morning: I canfnot claim bed bugs...perhaps they were mosquito bites, but I truly don't know. I also saw a mouse run across the room during the morning, in full daylight.. The housekeepers were loud and rolled their service carts down the halls outside the rooms while gabbing away....I don't generally see this type of housekeeping service at this calibre of hotel. Usually, especially in Europe, the housekeeping is very discreet....not a rolling cart in sight. What I experienced at the de Russie is what I expect from a chain motel.

The Stravinsky Bar looked nice, but the staff was unreceptive and as chilly as the night air. We ate in their highly touted restaurant. The food was so dreadful for dinner that I literally could not eat one bite of my main dish. Again, the service was indifferent. They did remove the charge for our main dish. But I noticed that the tables where there were "romantic couples" seated enjoyed more appropriate service, befitting a "fine dining" restaurant.. I guess they anticipated more course would be ordered and more bottles of wine were to be sold to couples. I was dining with my young son. We were both properly dressed and ordered full meals; our bill was certainly worthy of decent service. Not a smile in sight.

Also, this was the first hotel that did not send up a treat for my son, or even a scaled down bathrobe. Every hotel in every country on every trip gave my son a gift ranging from t-shirts to stuffed animals to delicious chocolate treats...the whole gamut. The Ritz in London took my son for a ride in its magnificent Rolls Royce (and there our room rate was one-third the cost of the room at this dump in Rome).

Now the concierge! The first morning we approached the concierge. The woman who bowled us down was aggressive, dismissive, and totally unhelpful. Inasmuch as we had been to Rome several times, we were definitely not interested in the bus tours, chauffered cars and extremely expensive rip-off activities with highly padded fees that would have benefitted the concierge at our expense. During our last visit to Rome, we hired an extremely knowledgeable private guide to take us through a four-hour visit to the Vatican. It was a true highlight of a month-long trip to Europe: our guide was interesting and navigated us through the throngs of people. My son was only nine and he enjoyed every last second of this private tour. When I told the concierge about my son's interest in these types of activities, she looked at me like I was crazy and told me that it was inappropriate for me to hire an art historian, for example, or history expert, to guide us through the other interesting parts of Rome because it would be wasted on a kid. She discouraged us from taking a day trip to Hadrian's Villa or Naples unless we hired a car and driver for the day. She also offered to get us a 1/2 hr. horse and buggy ride for the bargain price of 200 Euro (these rides were available literally right outside the hotel door for 150 Euro - still a rip off in my opinion). She only wanted to send us to ridiculous, unimaginative venues. She sent us to an attractiion called "Rewind" near the Colesium: she claimed it was exciting and would be perfect for my son. It was a joke! a five minute 3D movie that was completely uninformative and was basically a prelude to a huge gift shop the size of the Colesium itself. We were literally the only two people at this so-called attraction. We have done some corny attractions in some other cities: the London Dungeon comes to mind; also Ripley Believe it or Not....this was a pathetic five minute nothing and provided not even fun in that type of cheesy fun that can be a great way to fill up a day with a child. Beyond boring and a disappointment is the way to describe this activity. Also, it robbed us of the time we could have spent seeing something interesting. The concierge also told us that if we didn't hire a private car it would be "impossible" to find a cab to take us back to the hotel. Ridiculous! There were dozens of cabs. The hotel also clipped us for a ridiculous enterprise: it recommended a "school" where my son would have a blast learning how to be a gladiator at a price of 100 Euro. This god-foresaken place was a run-down, ramshackle bunch of shacks on a side road of the Appian Way. When we arrived, it was creepy: a mean man started barking orders at my son. The activity was by appointment; the concierge told us that way we were sure to have other boys and girls particpating. Once again, my son and I were the only people there, except for this vicious man. He made homophobic comments to my slightly built son (age 10). He told him he wasn't a real man because, being left-handed, he naturally picked up his replica sword with his left hand. There were ramshackle picnic tables, a dirty yard with no equipment save a bunch of ropes with sand bags hanging from the ends. He insisted my son run through these moving targets over and over again and was as mean as could be when my son "messed up." Before this misanthrope allowed my son to actually participate in the activity we had come for, we were taken into a makeshift dank and mouldy"museum where this man proceeded to tell us every trivial detail about every helmet, sword, shield and weapon in the collection. There was no place to sit; no refreshment center, no water....nothing. It was boiling hot and I couldn't believe that for 100 Euro we were not even provided with the opportunity to purchase a water or sit on a bench. All we had was this mean man, a dank, dark "museum"(really a garage with discarded junk)....and a ten minute lesson on how to block moves this man made in his simulated attempt to vanquish my 65 pound son. He barked and yelled and growled at us both. When the 2 hour torture was over, he kindly called a cab for us, but not before asking a host of prying questions including my age and our religion. I always hate when people go on in TripAdvisor reviews about things that have nothing to do with the hotel...e.g. stupid attractions or bad weather or construction down the road. But HERE the CONCIERGE at this FIVE STAR HOTEL scammed us into these activities!!! I really felt hood-winked, we were robbed by this band of misfits, just as I was robbed by a thief of my wallet on the train!

The bill, at checkout, was full of errors. For example, the suite came with a "package" that entitled us to watch unlimited pay-per-view movies. We watched three in three days and they tried to charge us for two of them. They also tried to charge us for water at our buffet breakfast: the breakfast was included in the 1700 Euro a night rate. The buffet had water, all types of juices, Prosecco, etc. We had no tea, no coffee, no juice no prosecco. All we had was water and one criossant each. And they had the nerve to try to charge us 15 Euro for water at each breakfast (for which they had no bill or signature, etc.) They never provided me with the Nokia cell-phone during my stay for complimentary local calls. And, as a parting salvo, we used their car and driver service (at four times the price of a cab). The driver, summarily dumped our bags on the curb, no where near the entrance to the terminal nor near the ranks of luggage carts: a middle aged woman and her son....what courtesy! Again, this would not appear in a review of the hotel if the hotel had not provided the service. The concierge was a scourge on the pride this profession generally takes in its important job at luxury hotels (especially in Europe where they truly "run the show") to ensure guests' needs and desires are met at every turn.I'd never go back to Rome...but I cannot tell if it isn't because of the truly vexing experience I had at the hotel which overshadowed the days we were there.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
20  Thank Dancemacabre
Reviewed August 19, 2010

Without sounding pretentious myself and my wife (before the recession hit us!) stayed in lots of 5* hotels and this would be one of our favourites.

The courtyard in the middle of Rome is just idyllic. The room was superb overlooking same courtyard. The lobby is the coolest around.

The drinks and food in the hotel are very expensive but hey you're in Rome, go out and enjoy yourselves.

The location is fantastic.

If good times ever return we will go back here.

Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple