“Good pricey hotel”

Hotel De Russie
Ranked #55 of 1,272 Hotels in Rome
milwaukee, wisconsin
Reviewed October 26, 2005

My wife and I spent 6 nights at the Russie in early October after checking out of the Hotel Piranesi across the street after 3 nights because of AC and street noise problems.
The Russie was expensive but we were glad to get a room without a reservation and we ere very happy we stayed there.
The quality of the facility itself is comparable, I think, to the Four Seaons in Chicago and New York, where we have stayed -- but is even more costly.
Only nit I had was room service food, especially cost of breakfast. Cost of other room service meals not outrageous but food not quite top rate.
Service was great. When I couldn't get the Internet connection in my room to work with my laptop, they sent two technicians, then a translator, then a manager, all within 10 minutes, and all four stayed until it worked, a total of 20 minutes. I was impressed. They all seemed to enjoy the challenge.
I'd stay here again in a heartbeat, but I'd buy my breakfast pastry on the street, keep it in the minibar and order just a pot of coffee from room service for 6 euros.

• Stayed: October 2005
14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (1,425)

San Jose, California
Reviewed September 7, 2005

20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 4, 2005

we stayed here for five nights and I do agree with the last review I think they do treat you very poorly if you dont follow their recomendations and I will not recommend to stay here in the future...

13  Thank fozol
Reviewed August 20, 2005

• Stayed: July 2005
37  Thank anonymousreviewer
Reviewed August 9, 2005

This is a beautiful hotel, located in a very ritzy little stretch of the historic center, Piazza del Popolo. I heard from an ex-pat living in Rome, she only knew of it because all the boys from Ocean's 12 stayed there during the shoot. No wonder. It's pretty glam/dolce vida'ish. I stayed in two different rooms, both with wonderful sheets, comfortable beds, beautiful bathrooms, little sculptures and art touches, etc. And if you can upgrade, the higher up you stay, the better your views are likely to be of both the dining area/garden and the Borghese Park (I don't know if that's the official name, please forgive me). The staff is more than charming and eager to help, and if you have a laptop there is access to the internet from your room. I didn't, so I used the little room with two computers behind the front desk. The lobby is pretty lovely but I think one of the major selling points is the courtyard where you can grab a glass of wine and listen to a unique and unintrusive Italian duo performing a quality version of "Sittin on the Dock of The Bay," lulling you into a magical and relaxed state of well-being.

The drawbacks: Okay, so what's the deal with breakfast? In Rome, breakfast is cheap and no big deal. But to say if you dine with us, and would like to have choices (that would mean bacon and eggs for the people who don't want to eat like Romans) it's 25 euro! Ridiculous! The Art Hotel on the street behind, Via Margutta, includes breakfast. It just seems a little low-rent that they would charge you extra for this, and that amount! considering how much it costs to stay in the hotel. How much does it cost to cook an egg? Now, if you simply want a capp. and a coronetto or whatever, you can have it in the courtyard and not in the restaurant, but even there, you must wait until they open, 9 a.m. give or take a few minutes -- it's Italy after all -- and even for that simple, nothing breakfast, I believe you pay about 6 euro. In a glam hotel, this seems a little gouge'ish. Especially knowing you can go around the corner to practically any bar and get a great pastry and cappuccino for at the most two euro but you don't want to because you're tired and would like to eat at your hotel. And then, if you order room service, again, prices are high! You can order a 6 euro cappuccino but then there's a 4 euro charge per person for any room service order on top of that. If you are American, that's like a fifteen to twenty dollar cup of joe depending on the exchange rate that day. Even for a caffeine addict, this verges on the insane.

Another drawback, and it may seem piccayune, but again, you're staying at a pretty hoighty toighty place, they should have better products in the bathroom. To have thin, liquidy lotion and ineffective shampoos, when hostels like The Beehive offer Lush products and the like, you can't help but wonder, why don't they upgrade? The whole world seems to get why skin and hair products make a difference when you're travelling but this hotel seems a little behind the times and it would be a small investment for them to improve on this area.

Lastly, while I thought the concierges were lovely people, I did find their suggestions just a tad antiquated regarding spots to dine. In other words, they knew the fancy, expensive, usual spots to go to, but Rome is loaded with many choices, not to mention new and great finds, many of which are usually much better than the typical, famous, popular places. It would have been nice to have my hotel know about them -- not just my friends. I'd love it if they had seemed more up with the times and I think they could work on improving this with not a lot of effort.

Oh, sorry, there is one other thing: not knowing the bus routes in Rome because their clientele, I suppose, only takes taxis -- their explanation, not mine -- seemed snobby and limiting. Most people know the best way to get around Rome is via bus. Yes, they've got the businessmen and the models and the Saudi ladies shopping at Valentino staying at the Russie but you know what? They also have the likes of me, a girl who wants to treat herself to a beautiful hotel but likes running all over the place and getting to know the culture and getting to know the real Rome. That means traveling with the people on Tram 3 and Bus 62, etc., etc. If you want to get around, it's good to know this mode of transportation, and it would be good for my hotel to be able to tell me the right bus to take from Piazza del Popolo to the Borghese Gallery. Maybe a taxi would have been more efficient, but not knowing at all and therefore suggesting a taxi, is not cool in my school, fool. In other words, keep a bus schedule at the concierge desk. You never know who might ask.

But see? These are small imperfections. I'm telling you this is a lovely place with a good vibe. They got the look, they got the location, they got the sheets, they got the water pressure. You're good to go, signore. But a little upgrade and a little forward thinking would catapult them not only into this century but actually help them come across as what I believe they truly want to be: a more intelligent choice if not better a better one than say, The Hassler. So, that's my skinny on the place. I do hope you go there and I do hope you like Rome. If you go though, don't do it in August like I did. Stupid! Stupid and Hot! But whenever you go, check out Eustachio near the Pantheon for an amazing cappuccino and Mimi & Coco's for a good late afternoon glass of vino.

p.s. I ended up walking through the park to the gallery and it was lovely so all ended up right with the world. And if you're only going to Rome once, do go to the Borghese Gallery. It's just as important as The Sistine Chapel. You'll never forget Apollo and Daphne. And you'll never forget Pauline Bonaparte.

49  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 20, 2005

This is the second time that my husband and I have stayed in this hotel.

It is in a very good location and we were treated very well by all the staff (and were upgraded to a junior suite which was lovely with a great view of the courtyard).

The bar here is excellent and having a drink in the courtyard on a warm Rome summer evening is lovely.

We will most definately stay here again when we are next in Rome.

• Stayed: June 2005
9  Thank CPGM
Reviewed July 18, 2005

This hotel could not have been more amazing. The food was incredible and the
placing of the hotel could not have been better. The rooms were beautiul and overlooking roof tops and looking down cool allyways.
The front desk was extremely helpful from awsome places to elegant resturants. The hotel was also clean and the service was great.

• Stayed: June 2005