“Great time in Rome”
Review of Hotel De Russie

Hotel De Russie
Ranked #50 of 1,270 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We just got back from Rome where we stayed at the Hotel De Russie. The hotel was very nice, with relatively large rooms for Rome. The bar was great for dinner/drinks/snacks albeit a bit pricey. The Concierge staff was absolutely terrific. Their recommendations absolutely helped to make our vacation special. Our favorite day was our trip to Ostia- the arranged for a wonderful driver, Sergio, and made a reservation for lunch at an amazing restaurant overlooking the Mediterranean. We will definitely stay there again if we return to Rome.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Marcy R
Management-DeRussie, Manager at Hotel De Russie, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed our spacious rooms during your vacation and our exclusive bar for drinks and light fare for a truly five star experience in the Eternal City. I am so glad that the concierge proved helpful during your stay and that their recommendations played an important role in ensuring that you had a wonderful, relaxing and hassle-free trip while in Rome. I’m happy that you were able to explore the beautiful historic towns near Rome such as Ostia during day trips organized by our Concierge with the unique chance to savour a meal overlooking the sea at lunch. We truly look forward to welcoming you again during your next stay in Rome!

Best regards,

Martin Elsner
Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,403)

Reviewed December 29, 2013

We just returned from Rome where we stayed at Hotel De Russie. The service was excellent, the hotel is beautiful, the rooms are spacious and the location is perfect. The have converters for your electronics in each room. The breakfast was wonderful and the staff is so friendly. The concierge was very helpful and got us into some amazing restaurants. I definitely recommend staying there.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank HardToPleaseCt
Reviewed December 21, 2013

One of my fav hotel in the whole world...the eternal city the gorgeous Rome....this hotel is a real gem....I do always stay there as much as I can and never disappointed me....the staff very good efficient front dest and front office....room service fast....the rooms are spacious and very beautiful...coffee at the terrace garden is a must.....of course everything is close by....all the shopping and eating....such a lovely place to stay a few days in beloved Rome

Room Tip: Upper rooms have slightly better views
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank skfmac
Reviewed December 12, 2013

The best hotel I have ever stayed at and I have stayed at many all over the world. The service was superb, they remembered our names, went out of their way to help us on every occasion. Even got us a reservation at the top restaurant that we wanted which was booked out.

The rooms are a great size with roomy, well equipped bathroom.

Close to the Spanish Steps and the best shopping in Rome.

I couldn't recommend it more.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MFM11
Reviewed December 9, 2013

One of the best and well run hotels I've stayed at. The concierge picked some good local restaurants for us to try (non tourist) and set us up with a great walking guide. The courtyard is absolutely amazing for breakfast or enjoying a drink outdoors as you feel you're in an oasis, somehow forgetting about the busy city outside. The staff is very friendly and attentive. The restaurant and spa are top notch. Plus, you can't beat the location. I would recommend to any travel looking for upscale accommodations right in the middle of Rome.

Room Tip: If you can afford one of the suites with balcony, then it is worth it
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Ben H
Management-DeRussie, General Manager at Hotel De Russie, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely feedback. It is a real pleasure to know that you enjoyed our Hotel and location. I am glad that the concierge was helpful and that you were able to savor an authentic Roman experience while in the Eternal City and that you had the chance to relax in our Secret Garden for breakfast and drinks. I agree with you that the courtyard is an oasis offering tranquility from the chaotic daily life outside the Hotel doors. The suites with balconies are truly unique and offer unparalleled views of the city, a real treat to take in the city in total privacy. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to my staff who will be happy to know their hard work is valued and offers the highest service possible to our esteemed guests. I very much look forward to welcoming you once again when you are next in Rome. Happy Holidays!

With best regards,

Reviewed November 26, 2013

My wife and I last stayed at The Hotel de Russie when it first opened about 12 years ago. Clearly an amazing location. Rocco Forte paid attention to detail and struck the right balance in blending the old with the new. Service was attentive and crisp and the pace had a great vibe.

What a difference 10 years makes! The rooms look tired. furniture is scuffed and worn out. painting is dreary. We were in a junior suite that was dark and had no views of the garden which is why one stays there. But I guess I should have felt honored that this was only costing me 1,300 euros a night!!! Service is desultory. The gym was unappealing and in need of a serious facelift.

If it weren't for the location one would be hard pressed to justify spending 300 euros a night. At its pricing, Hotel de Russie is living off its old glory and still managing to fill its rooms to an undiscerning audience. This was one of the biggest disappointments in a hotel I have had in many many years

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Lb1952
Management-DeRussie, General Manager at Hotel De Russie, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your helpful and important feedback. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed our prime location in the heart of the Eternal City and the unique way in which our Hotel blends the old with the new. However, I am very sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations during your trip to Rome this time around. It is paramount for us to make sure that each guest is perfectly satisfied and I am greatly concerned that you did not have a positive experience. Please let me note that since you came 10 years ago, the Hotel has undergone many refurbishments and constant maintenance in order to ensure that our Hotel always maintains the highest five star quality standards and provides unrivalled service for our distinguished clientele. If you could be so kind as to supply me with a telephone number at which to contact you, I would appreciate the opportunity to speak to you about this and I would truly welcome the opportunity to learn from your experience so that such an occurrence does not repeat itself with any of our valued guests.

With best regards,

Reviewed November 23, 2013

The Russie has all the attitude of a great 5 star hotel but fails to deliver on quite a few levels. Our experience has been one of constant disappointment. For the price of the rooms you wouldn't expect to be put next to a Service Room where you can hear conversations and the loud banging and clatter from the service staff. The pillows on the bed are a choice of hard or lumpy (seriously - when was the last time you paid 500euro+ per night and had to request a soft pillow?) . The concierge, while very friendly and helpful, advised us to head to the Basilica first before our booked Vatican Museum tour but failed to find out that the church was closed. So we were dumped at the Vatican with a closed church in the pouring rain. The concierge is the life blood of a 5 star hotel so it's astonishing to see them so I'll informed. We also had an issue with the bathroom where an appliance wasn't working and we asked 4 times for someone to fix it. Seriously, it took 4 requests including waiting for 30 min on the third request for an engineer who never turned up. Add to this the slow internet that is practically useless unless you pay for the 'fast service' and you have an overall experience that is so far from what a 5 star hotel should deliver. I think the management of this hotel would be well advised to take a look at their sister hotel in Florence - The Savoy. Our stay there just for one night was perfection - we've never had such a warm greeting and every staff member went out of their way to help and assist us. Their rooms are more comfortable and better designed. We would not recommend staying here if you are going to pay the hefty room rate. Choose another hotel and save yourself the disappointment.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Smelltheroses61
Management-DeRussie, General Manager at Hotel De Russie, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. We welcome every opportunity to learn and such reviews are extremely helpful as we seek to deliver the best service possible. I am very concerned that you deemed your experience disappointing and I would truly appreciate the chance to speak with you to discuss this further. If you could be so kind as to supply me with a number at which I can reach you I will be sure to call you at your earliest convenience.

Best Regards,