“Only one night, but it was perfect...”
Review of Hotel De Russie

Hotel De Russie
Ranked #52 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed October 20, 2013

My wife and I stayed here on our way back from Capri to Boston. We had an early Alitalia flight from Fiumicino, so we stayed at this hotel. The room was immaculate. It was very close to several very good restaurants. The courtyard bar was excellent for a night cap.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Management-DeRussie, General Manager at Hotel De Russie, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear guest,

I am pleased to read that you and your wife chose our hotel while on your way back to Boston and that you enjoyed our central location in Rome.

I will be sure to share your kind comments about your great stay with my team and convey that their hard work and dedication proved, once again, more than satisfactory. I am also glad that you were able to savor our Secret Garden and the famous Stravinskij Bar for a cocktail.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future; hopefully you will be able to stay for more than one night and will have the chance to be delighted by our renowned restaurant Le Jardin de Russie.

Best regards,

There are newer reviews for Hotel De Russie

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Because of the staff, I'd choose Hotel de Russie over any other comparable hotel.

This is my second time to Rome at a 4.5-5 star hotel. At the OTHER place, which-shall-not-be-named, the hotel was also stunning but the staff there was ridiculously snooty.

At Hotel de Russie, the service was fantastic. From the charming doorman, each of the five concierge I bombarded with questions to the front desk staff. They were informative, helpful and quick. I had tons of questions and requests, as I was determined to go local, exploring the city on my own, no tours, no guides, and on the Metro!

I'm looking dorky armed with fanny pack, camera and giant backpack which might explain the condescension of the staff in that OTHER top tier hotel, especially when I asked how to use the buses and trams. Helloooo - I might look like a bum but I am a paying one!

But staff at Hotel de Russie were perfectly courteous and patient in giving long and careful directions on complicated train transfers, walking directions and repeatedly warned me against pickpockets. All with great charm. (I get shivers up my spine when any Roman says "Allora"!) Also, I'd take an extra five minutes to leave the hotel each time cos it was so entertaining watching the expressive and friendly doorman interact with people.

Thanks to the staff, I've a host of non-touristy, amazing memories.

An example - concierge Daniela (besides responding ASAP to other queries) spent a lot of time to research and direct me to IALS, a gritty dance studio where I got to see locals tap, jazz and modern dancing and joined in a class despite not understanding a word of what anyone was saying. Loved loved loved it!

Other Pros/Cons to consider -- The rooms are a bit small by US standards, and my room overlooked a private balcony but it made for cool rooftop photos and this is Rome, a crowded, maze-like city which is part of its attraction. Its location is good, at the tip of the church-museum-temple-shop infested triangular patch of central Rome (also its most crowded area). As aside, I empathize with the Romans. How awful the neverending hordes of tourists must be, with our sheer numbers, rushing and pushiness - must feel like the sack by the Visigoths all over again.
TIP 1 -- turn right at hotel entrance and head to the cafe at the corner (sorry didn't get the name) just next to the Piazza, and belly up to the bar for your coffee/hot choc hit from Marcello the barista who seems to know everyone and is absolutely entertaining as he trades quips with locals. Also serves good local pastry.
TIP 2 -- the Metro stop Flaminio is north of the piazza to the right of the hotel and the underground's easy to navigate once you get the hang of it but use only if you can handle sardine-like conditions and beware pickpockets! Not advised for polite or older tourists or those with kids; avoid the rush hours when you'd have to fight yr way to the train doors.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank HappyinHK888
Reviewed October 19, 2013

As all other Rocco Forte properties, this one is also great. Location is perfect, nearby Spanish steps and shopping area. Rooms were nice and staff is well trained. Garden area for drinks or breakfast is beautiful. Overall, a great property for a romantic or a business trip to Rome.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Management-DeRussie, General Manager at Hotel De Russie, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Dear Guest,

thank you for your kind review.

I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel de Russie, savored our Secret Garden, and benefitted from the Hotel’s central location. I will certainly share your generous comments about the staff with my team. It is a great pleasure to know that our guests are consistently perfectly satisfied.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future at the Hotel de Russie.

With best regards,

Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

We visited this hotel while on a business trip and found the staff to be very accommodating and the facilities beautiful. Our first visit to Rome You will see lots of tourists and congestion on Rome But this is a great place to stay if you want to pay the price.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

thank you very much for sharing your experience. I am delighted that you had the opportunity to enjoy the Hotel’s facilities during your business trip while in Rome for the very first time. It is always a pleasure to read about such positive feedback and to know that guests enjoy our oasis of tranquility in the heart of bustling Rome. I will be sure to share your kind comments with my team – I am especially happy to hear that our staff always exceeds guests’ expectations.

I look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

With best wishes,

Reviewed October 16, 2013

For me the main problem with the hotel are the rooms with the courtyard /garden view facing north and this is disturbing when you're supposed to be in a meridional sunny city like Rome. Also the hotel does not occupy the building just opposite the courtyard and one can see office activity through the windows and people smoking on their terraces during breaks.The high price does not translate into the size, most rooms on offer are on the small side, especially the ones facing south on Via Margutta. On a positive note the service is quite professional and the staff especially attentive.

Room Tip: If you want a sunny room ask for the 4th and the non smoking 5th floor at the very end, overlooking...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We were very pleased with this hotel and its location. We experienced a very warm welcome on arrival, which was nice. We had a huge room with a balcony on the sixth floor, having been upgraded. The room seemed very quiet, and we didn't experience any noise from the street. It was nice to be able to walk out on the balcony and see the Piazza del Popolo from there.
We found the service was excellent, and very helpful when it came to booking guides, or asking advice. Nothing was too much trouble. We thought the location was excellent, with the added advantage of having a taxi rank on the doorstep.
I hesitate to mention a downside, but we ate dinner at the hotel twice during our stay and found the food to be indifferent. The light lunches in the bar were no better, although it was fine for a drink or a cup of tea. The gardens make a lovely setting, but it is a pity that the food does not live up to expectations. Apart from the disappointing food I would have rated the hotel 5 out of 5.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors are probably quieter. We were on the sixth floor and found it very quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2013

If you are looking for class and elegance in Rome this is the hotel. The location is great! Don't be put off by the stark facade which in turn opens up to one of the most magical gardens which can be enjoyed while having breakfast lunch or drinks- all of which we did. Nello in the restaurant was delightful and went out of his way to make sure my child was happy with everything. We had a snafu during check in, in that the type of room we reserved was not available upon our arrival, but when we brought this to the hotel's attention they offered to move us the next night when they had availability and we were given a very nice upgrade to a delightful suite which more than made up for any inconvenience. Do be aware they charge extra for rollaways for kids. The spa/ hot tub area was also a plus and my daughter loved it after a long day of sightseeing. I have tried three other luxury hotels in Rome and the Russie ranks above the rest. We would definitely return.

• Stayed: October 2013