“In need of urgent refurbishing”
Review of Hotel De Russie

Hotel De Russie
Ranked #52 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Despite extremely professional and good staff and service, this hotel does not live up to its reputation as a property in my view. Upon our arrival, we were immediately upgraded to a seemingly beautiful executive suite on the top floor. We have not noticed immediately, but, there was a constant annoying noise throughout the day, which turned out to be the exit of the central airconditioning of the hotel. Later in the day, there was a bit of rain, which entered to the room through windows. So the executive suite was neither sound nor water proof. The staff tried everything to solve this problem, however, it was a very busy period any nothing comparable could be offered. The concierge was rather efficient. The breakfast is nothing particular, and very expensive for the type of its quality. The location is very central, if this is what you are looking for.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Cr0cus
There are newer reviews for Hotel De Russie

Reviewed January 13, 2013

This was our second time at the de Russie and it was as wonderful as the first, with just a couple of niggles. As many others have observed, this is a superb property, with elegant decor in a "minimalist luxury" style. The location is excellent. The service is also first-class. It remains the very finest hotel we have stayed in.

As I say, there were a couple of niggles. First, when we arrived we were told we were being upgraded, which was very nice. The same had happened in our previous stay and we had been given a very large room, so this time we rather expected something similar. However, the room we were taken to was smaller and divided into three separate rooms, so as a whole it was awkward and a bit cramped. We asked for another room and were given one similar to that on our first visit, which was spacious and very comfortable. It was just puzzling that we were initially shown the first room, especially since we were told the hotel was not full. However, as I say, the matter was rectified immediately and we were delighted with the room and our stay.

Second niggle is that on our last trip, we LOVED the linen sheets on the bed. This time, sadly, they were cotton – very fine cotton, to be sure, but it's not quite the same.

Third niggle is that I really think hotels of this caliber should include wifi in the room rate. I honestly wouldn't mind – or even notice – if the room rate was a few euros more. But to be made to pay 20 euros every day for wifi is just annoying.

That said, all of the above are indeed nothing but niggles, and the de Russie remains a marvelous, almost magical hotel. The staff in the restaurant, especially, were charming and remembered us from last time, and gave us a delightful and touching treat on our last day. I recommend the de Russie without hesitation.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TintinATL
Reviewed January 5, 2013

The Hotel de Russie is by far one of our favorite hotels, hands down. We have stayed there 5 of the last 6 years and are always so happy when we are there. Each visit far exceeds our expectations in every way and, while I feel that everyone should know what an incredible property this is, I still consider this our little secret and feel that it belongs to us.
The staff is so warm and accommodating. They are friendly, professional, warm, knowledgeable, welcoming and hospitable. From the doormen to the reception staff, to the concierge desk, to the bartenders in the beautiful Stravinskij Bar, we count the de Russie employees as friends and family. The guest rooms are classic, elegant, in beautiful condition, and so comfortable. Every need is met. The location, on Via del Babuino, close to excellent shopping and restaurants and also to Prati, is without compare.
It is always so difficult to leave because we truly feel that the de Russie is our home away from home!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I just returned from my fifth stay at the de Russie (5 times in the last 6 years) and the hotel is better than ever. The service is top notch -- from the doormen to the concierges to the staff in the restaurant and bar to the housekeepers. The hotel is beautiful, warm, chic, comtemporary and comfortable and the locaton can't be beat. As repeat guests, we really feel at home at the de Russie. I truly cannot understand how this hotel could have received a single negative review. The de Russie cannot be beat.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank ashjoffe23
G M, General Manager at Hotel De Russie, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Dear Guest,

I am so happy to hear that the Hotel de Russie is your favourite hotel in Rome. I often find, as you seem to, that returning to the same hotel makes me feel more at home every time. The environment becomes familiar, as do the faces. This always makes for a more memorable and enjoyable visit.
I will pass on all the wonderful comments about my team to the various departments. Feedback from guests is always helpful and encouraging to hear.

We look forward to welcoming you back again and again.

Kind Regards,

Stefano Gegnacorsi

Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

This is most definitely a city hotel, in a beautiful historic building. The location is fantastic - we were able to walk up the hill to the park surrounding the Villa Borghese- not to be missed- and to much of the city. Given that location, it's not surprising that its a bit noisy and given the age if the building, of course there are not high tech heat controls and sleek bathrooms. What you will find is a very welcoming staff, excellent concierges and some of the loveliest, largest rooms we have found in Europe. The entire hotel was decked out spectacularly for the holidays, as was the city itself. The De Russie is warm, friendly and a welcome respite from the business and sites of Rome and we look forward to returning!

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 16, 2012

This hotel has the most fabulous suites, great outdoor area for Happy Hour cocktails, brunch, breakfast. Our doors opened out onto the courtyard. The service and food were outstanding.
Will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Well, your platinum AMX, will help. Ask for a suite overlooking the courtyard, and large bathroom...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Spent 2,200 Euros on a suite. Was nothing special but it was a special occasion for us.
The room lacked luxury and they even had the nerve to charge us 20 euros for internet connection!!
Been to alot of 5 star hotels but would NEVER ever go back to this one again. Or recommend it to even my worst enemy.
Staff are rude and snappy. I found a small hair in my buffet lunch which put me off the hotel food. They did little to offer an alternative. The bathroom products are cheap crap! (been to cheapoer hotels and at least they are designer) Stains on the pillows on the bed to greet us and two double beds shoved together to be called a King?! Nice when you keep falling down a gap and ask for a suite. I understand there are more expensive suites. Pah!
Upon arrival there was a lack of face towel. Poor attention to detail.
Boo boo and more boo. Dont waste time or money on this place. Better hotels in Rome to discover. Its seriously overrated and almost snobby.

Room Tip: do not stay here is my best advice
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
22  Thank Cupcakebrown1983
L S, General Manager at Hotel De Russie, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience regarding your recent visit at the Hotel de Russie. We obviously failed to meet your expectations and I would like to offer our sincere apologise for this.
I certainly don’t want to find excuses for certain areas that should have been operating more smoothly, but wanted to assure you that your experience does not reflect our usual standards.
People have commented at some length about the genuine warm feeling displayed by everyone in the team and the great responses from our guests is that we have a product, and the service to accompany, that puts us among the very best hotels in Rome. I am only sorry that you did not leave with that impression

In closing please note that we did offer a compensation for your stay through your travel agency and I would be pleased to discuss this further. Please call the hotel and ask for me directly or kindly provide me your details in order for me to contact you.

Best Regards,