“June 1st to 4th 2012”

Antico Palazzo Rospigliosi
Ranked #647 of 1,272 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed June 6, 2012

My famil and I (4) stayed at this hotel in June 2012. The hotel is a short walk away from the main central metrol station Termini. We arrived at the hotel at 10:30ish. Even though we were early, our room was maid avalable. The hotel staff are very kind and made us feel welcome.

We had one room, which had another small room within. The small room had 1 bed which my elder daughter took up. The main area had 1 double and 1 singel. The room was very spacious and very clean and tidy.

The shower in out room was fansatic, it was perfect after being out for the day Roaming the streets of Rome with tierd legs and feet.

Breakfast was basic but perfect.

There is no bad things to say about this hotel. The staff are friendly and willing to sort things out asap.

Thanks

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Narendra S

Reviewed June 2, 2012

Arrived in Rome from Australia---had booked the hotel and paid in full months before.
We were told on arrival that we had to be moved to the sister hotel The Valle just around the corner as there were sick people in the room I had booked!!1
The Valle Hotel is disgusting and the bathroom smelt like an open sewrage,
We then stayed 2 nights at the Rospiigliosi and it was very ordinary.
No offer of a refund
I clearly stated my case but they did not care.
The breakfast at this hotel is disgusting---stale and cold water for tea etc
I was very disappointed and I paid a lot of money.
Do not go there!!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Novena B
Reviewed June 2, 2012

After confirming our well-in-advance two-night booking, we arrived to hear that our room had been given to another family 'with a problem', for the first night. Arrangements had already been made to place us in a nearby hotel. I understand from reading reviews that switching is not uncommon for hotels in the area, and others have fared worse, but that was a terrible 'welcome' for weary guests. Could they not have given the alternative location to those guests with 'a problem'?

Our rating of this hotel would be very good to excellent in all categories except for that critical
choice by management that seriously diminishing our enjoyment of our trip to Rome. We are retired, wanted specifically two relaxed days stay in a classic Roman hotel near a
piazza and transportation. We carefully planned it that way. At my age, I did not
appreciate dragging luggage over cobblestone streets and being shuffled around. We were
directed to the Hotel Koru several blocks away. Further, the bellman did not even carry our luggage but merely rushed us to the 'new destination'. Required timing for unpacking and repacking, checking in and checking out TWICE changed our options and caused us to have less time to see Rome. This added stress to what should have been relaxing. We basically lost half a day, and began our Rome adventure negatively. Hotel Koru was modern, stark, IKEA style, tiny and with a humble view, but adequate; certainly not what we wanted to experience in Rome. The staff there was extremely nice, and the breakfast was good, though served in a Kermit green, stark room.

Once in the Palazzo Rospigliosi, the second night, everything was very nice. A bottle of wine and room upgrade for the second night were provided but did not adequately compensate for the inconvenience. Staff was very pleasant, the not large but not tiny room and view were classic and clean, the halls, stairs, patio, and quiet rooms classic and tasteful. Breakfast was better than standard with pleasant dining areas. The ' off/on' buses stop right in front of the hotel; the train station is not far. Many classic and lovely sights, such as the Colosseum, are within comfortable walking distance. Even a comp of that first night, which I expected, would not give us back the hours and stress we experienced.

When I emailed my concerns to management to both of the addresses listed on their webpage, my emails came back 'undeliverable'. Half our experience was very bad; half quite nice, neither elegant nor posh, but nice.

Room Tip: Triple confirm that your room will be ready and as you booked it.. Ask for a room where the windows...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sls1050
hotelvalle, Direttore generale at Antico Palazzo Rospigliosi, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your review following your recent stay with us at the Antico Palazzo Rospigliosi.
As you already mentioned in your review, to be switched in another Hotel is usual, particularly in Rome and in high season.
We apologize about the problem caused to you and we perfectly understand your position, but we have followed the rules about the kind of accommodation given to you.
In fact we choose for you a four star Hotel, in the same district and just 5 minutes walking distance. In that way we would have assured you less trouble as possible.
Our bell boy helped you to carry out your luggage until The Koru Hotel, after that, the other Hotel was responsible to bring your luggage.
The differences concerning the two Hotels are absolutely normal, because Antico Palazzo Rospigliosi is different from any kind of Hotel because it’s an Historical building and protected by the Italian Belle Arti, if you feel unsatisfied from your stay to Hotel Koru, you should have left a review directly to them.
To apologize for the trouble, your second day staying, when you come back to the Antico Palazzo Rospigliosi, we offered to you a bottle of wine and an accommodation upgrade.
We have done as much as possible to satisfy you and become you stay memorable, in spite of the inconvenient.
If you have any other queries don’t hesitate to contact us at info@hotelrospigliosi.com, we will be at your complete disposal.
Hoping to have the possibility to welcome you again at Antico Palazzo Rospigliosi, we wish you best regards.

Reviewed May 18, 2012

Breakfast exactly the same during the 14 days and bread and croissant I think were from many days ago .
No extra toilette paper . 1 body lotion for 14 days , and shampoo I had to ask for or to write a note. Rome is beautiful and is better to forget the hotel service . Front desk very kind

• Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank Valencialovers
hotelvalle, Direttore generale at Antico Palazzo Rospigliosi, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2012

Dear Mr Valencialovers

thank you for taking the time to express your view regarding your recent stay.

Concerning the breakfast, we would like to underline that our American breakfast is composed by: hot and cold food as scrambled eggs, boiled eggs , sausage, low fat and regular yogurts , pastries, selection of croissant and cakes. Selection of jam, marmalade, selection of bread, fresh seasonal fruit, selection of cheeses, selection of ham and salami, fruit juices and much more. Several coffee station with hot water, American coffee, is located in the breakfast room and continually refilled . We are sorry that you did not see them …

What about the room amenities, our maids clean and replace everyday body lotion, shampoo, shower gel, igienic paper and other amenities, if already used.
If you have told us you problems we have been able to satisfy all Your requests.

We apologize that your stay was not as satisfactory as you expected it to be, but in 14 days stay, you should have been able to told us.

Reviewed May 16, 2012

I stayed at this hotel from May 5 to May 9 in a single room and had a very pleasant stay. My room was indeed small, the bathroom was tiny (it's Rome, everything is small!) but the window faced a small side street and St. Mary Major Cathedral and I was very pleased with that. The shower was great with plenty of hot water at any time, the place was spotless and I thought the breakfast was quite good, with the exception of one day when the scrambled eggs were ice cold. I enjoyed the various pieces of art (engravings and watercolors) and the marble panels on the walls of one hall explaining the history of the place. I was with a group where all of our meals other than breakfast were taken elsewhere, so I didn't need a bar or restaurant, but if they are misrepresenting themselves on their website they must absolutely change that. I thought the location next to one of the major cathedrals in Rome was spectacular, and hearing the nine o'clock bells in the evening was very special. I would return any time and would recommend the Rospigliosi to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for the Via Cavour side for the views as long as you are not especially affected by normal (for...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank PenobscotMaine
Reviewed May 9, 2012

The website gave us the impression we would be staying at an elegant hotel and we looked forward to our stay, but the reality was some way short of that. This is a hotel in need of some refurbishment, the communal areas in particular. That said, our room was spacious and clean, although badly lit. The bathroom was also large and reasonably clean. Don't expect to be able to watch any English speaking news on the TV. None is available.

The reception desk staff were reasonably helpful, but the staff serving breakfast were so rude it was, at times, comical. The senior member of the breakfast staff stormed around a cramped and unattractive basement dining room, huffing and puffing at the slight provocation. I asked for a cappuccino at one point and I thought she was about to explode with rage. Such behaviour has no place in a hotel that claims to be 4 star rated and if this hotel was effectively managed - nobody appeared to be in charge - then they wouldn't allow staff to conduct themselves so poorly. With complaints already posted about the breakfast room staff, it's surprising there has been no attempt to correct this.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank N_J269
hotelvalle, Direttore generale at Antico Palazzo Rospigliosi, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2012

Dear Mr N_J269,

Concerning your comment about your staying at Palazzo Rospigliosi, we would like to underline that our Hotel is classified as an Ancient Building datated 1590, and for this reason is mantained with the original ceiling and pavement following the strictly rules of “Belle arti”, and it mustn’t be changed.
Meanwhile, what about breakfast lobby, it is located not at the basement but at the ground floor with big windows and security exit doors facing the street .
Regarding the rudness of the breakfast staff, we have just take action due to your complain.
Hoping to see you again at Palazzo Rospigliosi, We assure you the best attention all times.

Best Regards

Reviewed May 4, 2012

I booked the hotel based on the hotel website and description of facilities and we stayed in the hotel for four nights. I booked two double rooms, expecting these to be of the quality shown in the website photographs. Extremely disappointed. The rooms were very small and although they looked out over the courtyard, the windows were so high, you couldn't actually see out of the windows. The rooms were also very dark, even though the weather was good. Both bathrooms had baths with shower screens but the showers could not be fitted to the wall, meaning you had to stand in the bath and hold the shower attachment in order to take a shower. I requested additional toilteries, which were never delivered.
The hotel website states that there is both a bar and a restaurant, another reason why I selected the hotel. But no, there was no bar and there was no restaurant. If I had wanted a B&B, with no facilities, I would have booked one. The building was lovely but the facilities non-existent. The breakfast room was small, dark and cramped with a poor selection for breakfast. We were extremely disappointed.
We took my Mum to Rome for four days and promised her a four star hotel and at best this was a two star hotel.
I booked transfers from the airport, but when we arrived there was no car waiting. I think the receptionist only dispatched the car after I had telephoned three times, as it was at least an hour after we arrived.
The service, accommodation and facilties were poor, based on the level of expectation generated by the website.

Room Tip: Do not pick 208 or 209.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family