“Decent, central hotel”
Review of Hotel Sonya

Hotel Sonya
Ranked #249 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed May 28, 2006

I stayed at this hotel as part of a tour group in May 2006. Very helpful hotel staff - when I needed to change rooms at the end of my tour (extended my stay by one night), they figured out a way I could stay in the first room and not move. The location is very convenient, 3 blocks to Termini metro/train station, about the same to Republica metro as well. Relatively quiet for a city hotel. The neighborhood not too bad considering it’s near the train station. The hotel shares space with other tenants (business and private), so it’s quite a walk up stairs (or a somewhat scary elevator) to the rooms. Note - they use electronic key cards, which you must leave in a slot next to the entry door to turn on the lights (the desk staff was very nice about my frantic call about inoperable light switches, they’re probably used to it). Decent breakfast, good coffee, but the breakfast room is tiny. Free internet access at three terminals during the day. There is a supermarket across the street, convenient for quick snacks. There is a mini bar fridge in the room, but it didn’t actually appear to be cold, so don’t count on it for food storage. They advertise an airport shuttle, but I saw at least two people who ended up calling a taxi because the shuttle was a no-show (or extremely late). It is easy to catch the 9 euro shuttle train from Termini to Da Vinci airport, but it is quite a hike to the train platform, so don’t bother if you have a lot of luggage.

10  Thank oregongirl2005
There are newer reviews for Hotel Sonya

Reviewed May 26, 2006

Nice, very clean, comfortable and quiet hotel situated near Metro and Termini stations. Located on a relatively quiet street in a safe area. Several Restaurants nearby for dining after a long day of sightseeing. The very helpful staff was indeed a high point in our stay here, and assisted in answering unending questions and providing excellant service. I found this hotel in Rick Steves book and it lived up to all my expectations. Rick noted that staff was "somewhat impersonnal" but I instead found them quite helpful. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here on my next visit to Rome.

5  Thank jmelong
Reviewed May 22, 2006

Great location for seeing Rome and being near the Metro. Room was good with good bath. Walls pretty thin, we had very noisy teenage neighbors that quieted down after very late night talk! However, the service at the hotel was wonderful. Metro and bus strike on the last day we were there, but the person at the front desk informed us about it and finally, after 45 mins. got thru to a taxi so we would not be late for our museum reservation. Breakfast was typical for Italy, but the service for coffee and tea was very quick. As in a previous review on this forum, there was a hot water heater for tea or coffee in the room, but no packets of either.... so if you want this, bring your own. Plenty of good places to eat nearby as well. I would definitely stay here again.

6  Thank Sonicdbd
Reviewed May 17, 2006

My family and I were in Italy the last two weeks and finished up our trip with a two night stay at Hotel Sonya. The staff was very helpful and the hotel was very nice with a good breakfast provided. The hotel is located in a very good location, near the Termini, and not too far from all of the GREAT sights in Rome. I would definitely recommend a stay at the Hotel Sonya!

2  Thank Trekster
Reviewed April 12, 2006

My daughter and I had a great experience at the Hotel Sonya. Our stay was from April 1 to April 8, 2006. The location was perfect for either walking in Rome or hopping a bus to travel throughout Rome. We enjoyed the Farmers/Vendors Market each morning from 7 AM - 1 PM around the corner. The gelato shop, liquor store, and phone calling shop (Teatro dell' Opera) all within a block were all great places. We got to know each of the owners during our stay and they became friends we looked forward to seeing every day. The phone shop (Teatro dell' Opera across the street) offered super deals on long distance calls back to the states for 10 cents per minute; we had been paying $1.00 per minute before we found them. Another plus was having access super market across the street, with good deals. Back to the Hotel Sonya…. The staff and owners were very friendly, we enjoyed the daily breakfast of rolls, fruit, cappuccino and juice. The room was small, functional and very clean and included a shower stall. The wireless internet was a real plus because I could use my laptop in my room. The hotel also offered 3 computers for their guests to use in the lobby. Finally, the price was very fair and the shuttle service was only 12 euro per person to and from the airport, my brother and his son stayed in a nearby hotel and took a taxi for 48 euro. I would definitely stay at the Hotel Sonya in a heartbeat on any future trips to Rome.

13  Thank vikingstwinsman
Reviewed February 19, 2006

We had a lovely time in Rome, thanks to the location of the hotel. We could walk everywhere. The hotel in itself was wonderful, clean, the staff quite helpful. Stay here it is great.

Stayed: July 2005
9  Thank Di2460
Reviewed February 7, 2006

I have just returned from my stay at the Hotel Sonya and found the hotel absolutely fine.

The previous review mentions that they thought the "Opera House" was a picture of the hotel but if you read the previous reviews and look at other travellers pictures - it clearly says a picture of the view from our room! As for rubbish I saw no flies or rubbish outside the hotel.

I found the hotel staff very helpful and attentive.

With regards to the rooms I can see that there has been previous issues so I will state that we stayed in a room on the 1st floor. Our view was of a side street which was fine as it was quieter than being on the front. The room was quite big - in fact bigger than some 4 star hotels I've stayed at. The bathroom was also fine and my 6ft 4 husband had no problem using the shower. The most important thing to me was that it was clean, the bathroom was spotless. The curtains and bedding were a little tired but again its no different to many 4 star hotels, and this hotel was very reasonably priced in a superb location. Minutes walk from the metro, bus station and main train terminal. There are ample restuarants and bars around the area and you can also walk to many of the sights from here.

Breakfast is continental style, with fresh crossiants and cake! Yum! Yes the room is small but its a family run hotel and we found it fine, plus there is a picture of it on the hotel website and its no different.

The hotel lobby/reception has two computers in it, where you can access the internet for free. We found this very useful for planning our days out and keeping in touch with home.

Check out is at 11am but the hotel staff were happy to look after our luggage so we could maximise our time in room before our flight left.

I would recommend this hotel to a friend as it was reasonably priced, clean and in a good location.

One thing I think could be improved is that whilst the room is equipped with a kettle there were no tea, coffee, sugar or milk sachets so if you are staying I'm sure you can pick some up on the way!

Arrivederci!