“Close to Termini, but a quiet location”
Review of Hotel Sonya

Hotel Sonya
Ranked #241 of 1,272 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed August 13, 2014

The room was clean, but a bit small. The staff was great. Breakfast was delicious. By the time we left, they knew exactly what we each wanted to drink. We walked everywhere except the Vatican, which we reached by metro. We would stay there again.

Room Tip: Pay cash (from the ATM down the street) for a discount on your room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank B C
Write a ReviewReviews (1,558)

Reviewed August 12, 2014

We made the right choice staying at Hotel Sonya. This cozy property blends modern conveniences with charming elements from an era gone by, including a classic cage elevator, period woodwork and prominent wooden doors opening to private corridors of rooms. Our large, front facing room had very comfortable beds and a wonderful view of the Teatro dell'Opera di Roma and other picturesque architecture. Our room also featured free Wi-Fi, an in-room safe and a nice bathroom with a separate tub and shower. The hotel staff was very friendly and accommodating. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet in their comfortable, private dinning area. The wait staff was very professional, warm and gracious. Hotel Sonya is conveniently located within a block of a small grocery store, bank, several restaurants and is within walking distance of the Roma Termini railway station and many historical sites. The hotel is in a safe neighborhood and we enjoyed wandering down nearby side streets discovering specialty shops featuring gelato, gourmet foods and more great restaurants. Our thanks to everyone at Hotel Sonya for a very enjoyable stay!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Steve C
Reviewed August 1, 2014

Great location near the station, walking distance to Trevi, etc. Quiet street, friendly staff, nice rooms, close to bus lines. In this price range you can't do much better than this. Easy to book via thier website/email.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dan398
Reviewed July 30, 2014

I mistakenly thought I was reserving a stay in Sept, but somehow I put in the wrong month, July. I emailed to ask them to please not charge me that day and that I actually wanted Sept. They never responded by email and after I called, the person on the phone was rude and just said "no, your fault." Yes, it was my fault, but we had three groups of people going in Sept and we were all going to stay at Sonya. Because of their poor customer relations, we all cancelled and are going to a different hotel that treats customers with respect and no just like a cash source.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
7  Thank JoeSueSacramento
Reviewed July 24, 2014

My family and I spent three nights (broken 1 and then 2) at the Hotel Sonya. It is in a great location -- just 5-10 minute walk from Roma Termini. The rooms we stayed in were very clean though the first room we had - in the refurbished section -- was definitely better. Beds were very comfortable and the A/C was sufficient even in the 34+ degree weather. Wifi was included as was a very good breakfast. The staff were excellent -- helpful and friendly. Many great restaurants in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the "new" section.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Londave
Reviewed July 23, 2014

The location of this hotel was perfect!! My daughter and I walked for miles everyday to all the sites, exploring the city was the best way to experience Rome for the first time. Hotel Sonya staff were wonderful, accommodating, friendly and we loved the breakfast!!! I will definitely be back!!! Right down the street is Ristorante Strega, wonderful food!! Matricianas was amazing also!!! There is a little sandwich shop (between hotel and Matricianas) that has amazing sandwiches (cash only). You will not be disappointed, this hotel delivers on all levels!!! Our room was beautiful and quite modern. Thank you Hotel Sonya!!! I hope to be back very soon!!! ❤️

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank Lynnielou38
Reviewed July 22, 2014

My son and I stayed in a twin room for 4 nights in July. Our room was on the first floor and looked newly re-done. Beds were comfortable, extra blankets and pillows available. Room was very clean, including the bathroom. Room wasn't overly large but was set up well with lots of storage so never seemed crowded. Air conditioning worked great. The breakfast has a lot of variety and tasted great. The breakfast servers were so friendly; remembering what you had the day before and checking often to see if they could get you anything else. The desk clerk too, was always helpful - recommended a great restaurant for us, answered questions and called taxis always with a smile on his face. Location is convenient to the train station and metro/bus. I would recommend this hotel to others and hope to return myself.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family