“Good Value in the Heart of Rome”
Review of Hotel Sonya

Hotel Sonya
Ranked #242 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed April 23, 2014

My husband and I traveled with our grown daughter and son-in-law to Italy for 2 weeks. Our first stop was Rome. I chose Hotel Sonya based on TripAdvisor reviews and was not disappointed. The location is great. It's across the street from the Opera House, which is walking distance (or a short taxi ride) from Rome Termini train station.

Hotel staff were friendly and helpful from the time I booked (online) through the end of our stay. I emailed them to say we would arrive in the morning and to request early check-in if available. They responded within 24 hours and while they could not guarantee early check-in, they offered to store our baggage so we could tour the city. It turned out that one room was ready (at 10am) and the second room was ready within an hour. The front desk staff provided a free city map and helped us get our bearings. They also helped us find the closest Metro station and explained how to use it.

The property is a little older, as one might expect in a city as old as Rome. The lobby area has been nicely updated and they have an elevator! The rooms were appropriate for a 3-star hotel, meaning that they were rather small by American standards, but very appropriate for a European hotel. The rooms were spotlessly clean and had a private bathroom with shower, mini bar, a small safe, and satellite TV. All hotel staff spoke English and were very patient with my limited Italian. Breakfast was provided, including great cappuccino, croissants (cornets), fruit and cereals.

I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to others. We stayed here early in the tourist season (April) and the cost for a double room with King bed was Euro 146 per night. Be aware that in all of Italy there is a new "City Tax" of 1 to 2 euros per person (depending on the city) which must be paid at check-in. It is in addition to the room cost and must be paid in cash. This is a compulsory government tax and not any kind of scam.

Room Tip: If you are bothered by street noise, request a room at the back of the hotel. We did not find it to...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed April 14, 2014

I would definitely stay here again and suggest it to friends and family. The location is perfect and the value is great. The breakfast was so good, the cappuchino was delicious, I probably had 4 each morning, the orange juice was the best I have ever tasted, the food was all around delicious - it would cost at least 20 euros just for that, but the rooms with the all-inclusive breakfast was still so inexpensive. The location was perfect; we could come back midday and rest before we went out for the afternoon/evening. There were great restaurants, cafes, and bars surrounding the hotel. The hotel was locked at night, so you feel safe, and your room key opens the door. The rooms are small (like most European rooms), but this had a bed and about 3 feet of space on 3 sides, it was really tiny. The shower was okay for me (I'm very petite), but way too small for my bf; he couldn't turn in the shower, so he could barely wash If you take more than 4 mins., you lose the hot water. These small complaints about the room did not take anything away from the great hotel - perfect location, staff, food, and overall value.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2014

We originally reserved at the Hotel Opera Roma, but were moved to Hotel Sonya when we arrived....we really didn't care, since we don't spend time at the hotel most times. It turned out to be fine -- the staff were terrific, the rooms very comfortable (small, as most rooms in the small hotels in Rome are), but in a convenient location for most sights. The breakfast everyday was a true treat -- loved those cappuccinos! And they were able to accommodate our request for one room with a queen and one with twin beds.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank WBDore
Reviewed April 6, 2014

The positive: within walking distance to Termini Train Station; satisfying breakfast.
The negative: only ONE staff member was friendly and helpful. The rest were either indifferent or not happy to be working at Hotel Sonya; esp. the red-headed female front desk person. We were afraid to ask for directions or advice; they acted as if we were bothering them! The first room we were given (stayed for 3 nights, checked out to visit Florence, and returned for another night which was already paid for) was not even as nice as my daughter's college dorm room. But was "acceptable" because we liked the location and breakfast. However, when we returned for the fourth and final night, the room was half the size of the first room we had and there was a very annoying tapping/pounding sound within the hotel walls. We heard it from the time we checked in (around 3pm) until midnight!!! The hotel refused to change our room and could not tell us what the source of the sound was! Then the noise started again at 6:30am! It was a good thing we were already awake since we had to catch our flight back home.
For us, the negatives far outweighed the positive! I will never ever stay at Hotel Sonya again nor would I ever recommend this hotel to anyone!

Room Tip: Yes, choose another hotel. If my daughter's college dorm room is nicer and bigger than the room...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Sandra S
Reviewed March 25, 2014

I stayed here in the summer with my two teenage children for five nights. The staff were very friendly and helpful with any questions we had about the area and getting around the city. The breakfast was huge each morning, we were able to skip lunch most days. The location was great, close to the subway and train station. Our room was spacious, modern and very clean.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Cody62
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Travelled as a family with 2 kids in Jan 2014. This hotel offered good size room, clean, included breakfast and very reasonable price compared to cross the road 4/5 stars hotels. It is just opposite the Opera Theatre. Love its very central location for travel around Rome. Less than 10 mins walking distance away with pram from Rome Termini main station. It has a bus depot right in front of the station and metro station also within short walking distance. We chose to walk to most local attractions. There are a variety of restaurants available near the hotel, including Chinese (2 mins away), Italian, Mcdonald restaurants etc. At the Rome train Station, it has a supermarket and the bus company that offer the cheapest airport transfer, cost euro $6 each way, $11 if you buy return travel. Overall, we found the Staff friendly, convenience location and for the price we paid, we will consider stay at this hotel next time.

Room Tip: This hotel has the old style lift but good size. Higher floors are quieter.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 19, 2014

I was recently in Rome for less than 24 hours on my way home from a ski holiday in Italy. I booked one nights accommodation in the Hotel Sonya. Considering it's Rome and it's central location, I got a very good rate of 78 Euros. However, just be aware of the bait and switch that other reviewers have experienced. When I checked in, I was informed that they were putting me in the Hotel L'Opera Roma a short distance away. The staff helped move my luggage down the street to the other hotel and up to my room. The room was clean but very, very small. It had a double bed but there was barely enough room to walk around the bed and just enough room on the floor to put my suitcase. After looking behind the curtain on the "window", it looked like I had a view of an elevator shaft.

Now, because I was only in that room for a very short period of time and I didn't even need to un pack any of my clothes and because I didn't pay very much for the room, it served the purpose for my short stay. However, if you are in Rome for several days or if there are two of you, this room would be totally unacceptable. I can understand, under the circumstances, why they gave me this room. For longer stays though, just be careful how much you pay for the room and be assertive if they try to give you a room like I got.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo