“Great hotel, good value & good location”
Review of Hotel Sonya

Hotel Sonya
Ranked #248 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in July. So happy with the location near Termini Station - only about a 10minute walk.
We had a quad room & it was nice but kind of cramped. But we weren't in the room that much anyway. The staff were great - even helped a couple times trying to get our English-speaking TV stations to work - when he couldn't, he had the owner come by & fix it. Staff was also very good about helping with directions & offering dining choices nearby.
The breakfast served was good with nice choices and great service for coffee, hot chocolate, oj, etc. Dining rooms were always clean.
One crazy thing - we were on the 5th floor & there is a permanent resident on the 6th floor who teaches Opera -- so at various times we could hear opera singing! But it wasn't that loud or annoying - just funny.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jewlsplus2
There are newer reviews for Hotel Sonya

Reviewed August 21, 2012

This hotel is an ideal base for sightseeing. The main train station "Termini" is even with luggage within walking distance. Also the major attractions of Rome are easily reachable on foot, or by bus or by metro very accessible.

Triple rooms are another advantage for families. The rooms are clean and the breakfast is very good by local standards. The homemade cakes and fruit are a great alternative for breakfast.

The recommendation of the concierge for a nearby restaurant was also very customer friendly.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Stayed for 5 nights during august. 8min walk to station is ideal if you dont want a lengthy trip across town, nice walk into the centre of rome. We stayed on the 5th floor, rooms were smart and clean. Wifi was spot on, the lift was not an issue for us - added a bit of character. Breakfast was more than adequate and staff helpful whenever we called on them!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank davebenson
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in July and were very happy with our stay. Upon arrival the reception guy could have been a little more friendlier but other staff members were great. Our room was on the 3rd floor and there was an interesting old lift that took you up but could only hold 3 people at a time as it had a weight limit. The room was clean, of good size with a queen bed and a single bed, storage for luggage, mini bar and a modern bathroom. At the time we were there our shower didn't drain too well and would quickly overflow the base, which meant very quick showers on low pressure. The continental breakfast was adequate to start the day. There was also free wifi. The hotel is very close to the Termini station, which was great not have to find transport to get there or drag luggage too far as it was litterally just a few minutes walk. The hotel is in a central position and a good base for seeing all the major tourist sites. If you are after a place to just rest your head for the night, then this no frills budget hotel is absolute value for money and I would most definately stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Wendy K
Reviewed August 19, 2012

would I stay there again.Its redeeming quality is that it is about a 10-15 min walk to Termini Station,but other that that I think you can do better.The area is not great,as is the case with most areas around Railroad Stations.Stayed here for 2 nights.Room was basically ok,Hotel rooms are in a building shared with apartments.Area lacks decent resta;urants.Not a place i would consider if a first time visitor to Rome...too many other choices.In all fairness,you get what you pay for in Rome,where everything is overpriced in terms of value received.This place would be ok to stay for a night if you needed to catch an early morning train,but otherwise I would pass .

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 17, 2012

My husband and I booked what we thought was 3 nights. We emailed them requested the specific dates we wanted and received an email confirming those night were available and to officially reserve them, use the link they sent. We booked the reservation for the dates we had just confirmed they had available. The email confirmation didn't come right away. I have to admit, I didn't get back to checking my email for just under a week. The final confirmation had only the first night reserved...NOT what we entered online. When I followed up to find out what happened the person named "Silvia" wrote back that the other nights were already booked and she couldn't help. I forwarded the note confirming the dates we are available and she retorted that wasn't an official confirmation. I got no explanation on why my reservation dates were changed. I find it unpleasant to stay one night and the move elsewhere. They won't fix it. It's mid August and the reservation should have been for 9/30-10/3. We now have to restart our search for a hotel when I thought I was done planning this leg of my trip.

I chose this hotel b/c I am 99% certain I stayed there in 2006 on a Rick Steves' tour and recalled it was clean and in a good location. I wanted to stay somewhere familiar. I am VERY disappointed in their inability to keep the dates right and now I have to scramble at what I feel like is the last minute to find a hotel at a time when I am getting ready for my trip. We are leaving 9/16 for our vacation. I find it distasteful I was not offered an apology for their error and no offer to resolve it. Somehow this is my fault.

Room Tip: Triple check your email correspondence with the hotel. It's pretty clear from reading other revi...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravelDre100
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We booked our room through the hotel's website and spent 6 nights at the Hotel Sonya with my family.
The staff were fantastic at the reception and in the restaurant as well :-) Thanks for the special attention and lovely behaviour at the breakfast time.... ;-)
The breakfast was perfect, we found everything that we love...hot and cold meals as well; ham, eggs, cakes, jam, fruits and amazing croissants and really good coffee!
We had booked a triple room which was soundproofed, clean with a very comfortable double bed and a great one to our child. The room was a bit small, but it was comfortable. We loved the bathroom with its huge shower :-)) There’s everyday cleaning in the room and all of our stuff are in safe!
A very good hotel and perfect value for your money in a well situated position. We arrived and travelled back to the airport by train and the Termini station was a 5 minutes walk and the main attractions of Rome were easily reached by foot. e.g Colosseum 10 min, St Peter's square max 30 min....pizza, pasta and shops around!!
We just arrived home but we are sure that would stay here again if we’ll have another vacation Rome in the future!

Grazie a tutti! A presto ;-)

Room Tip: Take a room on the left side of the fifth floor :-)
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family