“Great pasta!”

Cuisines: Italian, International
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Navona / Pantheon / Campo de’ Fiori
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I'm backpacking so I went during Happy Hour and got the house red and spaghetti ragu. For the price, I was thoroughly impressed by the meal and the location was amazing as it's right on Campo Dei Fior.

Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

A really memorable meal on our last night in Rome. We were expecting to be gouged but the square had such a good atmosphere that we said 'so what!' The host said if we didn't like it we didn't have to pay. Food was fantastic .....unusual and traditional dishes. We left full and delighted ...even tempted by desserts.

Reviewed August 4, 2012

After some hot and sticky shopping on the Campo del Fiori with temperatures still rising we looked for a shady place with refreshments. This café/restaurant located on the corner of the square looked ideal. There wa a table free on the edge of the market where we could watch the goings-on and there seemed to be a number of Italian guests - not just tourists. From then on things went downhill.
The waiter seemed unable (unwilling?) to speak a word of English. When we said coffee he merely handed us a long list of beverages including a whole variety of different coffees. I was familiar with "Caffe latte freddo" from a previous café, but my wife was curious about "caffe orzo" which we knowingly only read for the first time. The only explanation given was reading out three or four varieties so we decided to be adventurous and go for the unknown. No sooner had he departed with our order than we were suddenly enveloped in jets of fine spray. Under the umbrellas the restaurant has mounted a cooling system which sends out a fine mist of cold water at irregular intervals. The jet pointing in our direction seemed to take a dislike to foreign tourists or thought we were in need of extra refreshment. At any rate the table was really wet before the waiter returned with our drinks. He merely shrugged his shoulders when we pointed out the problem.
The two coffees were nothing very special and my glass with "latte freddo" contained no fewer than ten ice cubes. My wife's normally very discerning taste buds could not discover anything unusual in her "orzo". The biggest disappointment came with the bill where we discovered that the waiter had simply chosen the larger size of coffee "tavolo" without our saying a word in that direction.
We thought we had avoided the tourist traps by choosing this place but left with the very definite feeling that we were not welcome there.

Reviewed August 4, 2012

Great atmosphere, excellent food and service- actually ate here twice.
Had the chicken in lemon and orange sauce both times- delicious! Salads, house wine, gnocchi and bellinis were all great! Also saw locals eating here both times, which is always a good sign.

Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

I had planned to try the pizza too but my arrabiata was the tastiest ever ever ever and I couldn't stop eating it so had no room to try the pizza tho my friend said it was a 9/10. The waitress we had was very good at her job and 'cool' - a bit of a spunky attitude but it only added to a great night. We were lucky there was a jazz trio playing in the square in front of us which made it a better dining experience than you might have at the usual tourist-packed squares in European cities. But again, the food was fantastic no matter how you look at it. Would go again for sure

Been to Maranega? Share your experiences!