“Prominent take-away for the romans”
Review of Il Fornaio

Il Fornaio
Ranked #15 of 290 Bakeries in Rome
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Navona / Pantheon / Campo de’ Fiori
Description: "An easy walk from either Piazza Navona or Campo de Fiori".
“Prominent take-away for the romans”
Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

Very friendly bakery with a wide selection if very good stuff. The crema is great, the sandwiches as well. Typical roman and crowded in the evening. Just half way between piazza navona and campo de fiori

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
“Nice meringue marred by ignorant service”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Just love it when staff serving you don't look at you and don't stop talking to each other apart from to point you towards a till where you paid

Reasonable meringue though!!

• Visited September 2012
“Great cannoli's!!!”
Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

Found this bakery by chance while exploring Rome! We walked past and the fabulous aroma made us stop and take a look. The cannoli's are a must to try. If we go back to Rome would find this place again. Not the cheapest place but the food is more than worth it!

Chicago, Illinois
“Great patries”
Reviewed May 24, 2012

The giant mortadella is such an eye catcher but the sweets inside are worth the wait.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank Gazelle M
Long Island, NY
“Fresh and delicious baked goods at the foot of Campo de Fiori”
Reviewed May 14, 2012

This bakery is in a fabulous location - right at the edge of Campo de Fiori. What initially attracted me to the place was the ginormous (maybe 50 lb) mortadella displayed in an acrylic box in the doorway of the bakery. I moved in to take a picture of it and was called inside by the smells wafting out the door and the view through the window. There is a spectacular array of pastries, cookies, cakes, tarts, pizzas, bread and on and on. We ordered a couple lengths of dessert tarts (a ricotta and a peach), which were sold by weight. They took them to the back and wrapped them in heavy waxed paper, secured with a beautiful red bow. I felt guilty unwrapping them to eat them (though my guilt was long forgotten once I sank my teeth in. Heavenly.) We also ordered a fabulous assortment of cookies. My new found favorite cookie is the Lingue di gatto (Cat Tongue), which are a thin vanilla wafer type cookie, not too sweet, with just a little bit of chewiness to them – a perfect accompaniment to a strong cup of coffee. I am literally counting the days until we go back to Rome this summer and being that we will be staying in Campo di Fiori, my breakfast plans are set in stone. (I can't wait to see how early in the day the giant, enshrined baloney makes its appearance). .

• Visited October 2011

Been to Il Fornaio? Share your experiences!