“Great Value with a Great Host”
Review of Zen House B&B

Zen House B&B
Ranked #594 of 3,621 Rome B&B and Inns
“Great Value with a Great Host”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Zen House is a perfect B&B to stay at in Rome. The host, Giacomo, is a wonderful host. He was so kind to pick us up at the train station late at night, and then take us to a local pizza place, as we were starving from a long day traveling. The Zen House is tucked away in a real Roman neighborhood, away from all the tourists, but still close enough to reach all the sites. I would definitely stay at Zen House again, great value, with a great host!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Silverware_bracelet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Korean first
Vina del Mar, Chile
Reviewed June 12, 2012

If you really want to try a bit of home away from home, this is the place for you. Giacomo will do all it takes to make you feel welcome, give you all the tips and advice you need, places to visit, how to get. The place is very clean and Giacomo always treats his guest to something special.
He is a traveler himself, so he knows what we expect when we get to a Bed and Breakfast.
And in this case there's so so much more. The place is reachable by bus and Metropolitana.
A 20 minute walk takes you to the Colisseum and the Roman Forum, but there's also the Metro if you're the lazy kind.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Ricardo B
Hamburg
Reviewed June 11, 2012

This place was one of the highlights of Rome for me and my boyfriend: Quiet, clean, comfortable, wonderful breakfast and -most important- mangaged by Giacomo, who made us feel always welcome like a friend. We like him a lot!
And there are two private, fully equiped bathrooms for totally just four guestrooms, so it's no problem to share them with the other guests. It's a big aapartment in a block of flats, so don't expect big signs at the house and just look for the correct house number to find it.

We enjoyed the place not beeing right in the center of the tourist trap and surrounded by a usual city neightbourhood. Especially, we loved the take-away-pizza right accross the street, where the Via Sinuessa is branched off.

All this is a heavy reason for us to return to Rome soon for dicover the city outside the sightseeing area - there is a lot more to see than the guide book is suggesting.
However, if you mainly come for this, be prepared to handle with the public transport: The next bus stop is close - but by feet it's a bit too far to the centro historico.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Caroline3Hamburg
Atlantic Beach, North Carolina
Reviewed June 4, 2012

What can I say...I have been spoiled...Giacomo, you have spoiled me. So, I had my first experience at a Hostel and this was it! It was great and the price can not be beat. Giacomo was SO very helpful and kind. I am sad I didn't get to know him better. He runs a very clean hostel and provides a healthy breakfast. The hostel can be a bit noisy with the rooms right on the street, but it gets quiet after midnight or so. The bathrooms were spacious and so too were the rooms...with wifi included. Giacomo provides a great map and gave lots of advice. He also recommended a restaurant (small pasta store) in the back alleys of Rome and it was AMAZING. So, have no reservation...if you are going to stay in Rome and are looking for a cheaper option-go no where else but the Zen House! While it may be a 10 minute walk from the Metro...but it really not that bad. We thought it was going to be tough, but it is quick and a good neighborhood!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LaraP326
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 27, 2012

I stayed in the single room for 3 nights. The place is very tidy and clean. It have 2 bathroom to be shared among the guests. Price for the single room was at only 30-35 euros per night and also come with free wifi.

Although it's not located near to the central, but accessibility to the tourist spots are very easy. You could just walk to the bus stop to take a bus to places like the Colosseum or if you want, you can even walk to the metro station!

The breakfast provided was very kind and generous as well. You can have breads, fruits, cereals, yogurt and even scrambled eggs!

The owner Giacomo is a very kind, caring, peaceful and friendly person. It was my great honor to be invited by him to try his cooking. His cooking was simply great and along with the red and white wines, it's totally perfect. This is something extra and please do not expect it.

I would recommend this place to anyone who visits Rome. Do not hesitate and grab a room now!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank WeeChiong
Milan, Italy
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I study in Milan and I've been in several places during my trip around europe.
I think I was very luky to reserve a single room at Zen House for several reasons:
1 Place is tidy clean and have 2 shared bathroom for max 8 guests
2 The price for a single room is only 30/35 euro and for a private room in Rome is a great value in Rome.
3 The Place is not really in the centre but very well connected and with lots of restaurants that are cheaper than the centre.
4 Breakfast is really nice and generous.
5. The owner is such a kind and helpful person and I consider him as a genuine human being who loves his job and share his time with other people.
I really really suggest this place, thanks Giaco

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank jesus v
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed April 14, 2012

[Before you read this review, it is important to know that this is my most favourite place I have stayed at and CERTAINLY the best hospitality I have ever received when travelling.]

The owner Giacomo is a charismatic, friendly, caring and honest individual. Having only stayed at the Zen House for 4 nights I would already use the term "legend" to describe him (and I don't use the term loosely).

My girlfriend and I arrived late-ish on the first night and had told Giacomo (the owner) of our arrival time out of courtesy as many establishment-owners have asked for this information previously. He had infact previously offered to pick us up, and having read reviews we knew he had done this before. However, we felt it a bit much to accept the offer and so just told him our approximate arrival time and got a taxi. In fact Giacomo came to the station regardless in order to pick us up but sadly we had already got a taxi-this however immediately showed us his immensely generous nature and the following 4 nights reflected his kind-heartedness.

On arrival, his good friend Roberta (also an extremely lovely individual) welcomed us and gave us some tips on Rome. Having arrived late on a bank holiday Monday after Easter, we were worried about not getting food. In their hospitable nature, Roberta and Giacomo then invited us to join them for dinner at a nearby restaurant. Giacomo (the owner) sorted the bill, and in his (again) kind-hearted nature severely under-quoted for the meal we had just had, another example of his extremely polite and honest personality.

His house itself (and this is of course what I am supposed to be reviewing!) is lovely and extremely homely, with a calm nature about it. Our room was large, exquisitly clean with a very large bed. Our shared bathroom (there are at least 2 in the house though) was always kept clean as Giacomo (the owner) was always ensuring his home was in good shape for guests. The breakfast he offers, although simple, is whole-hearted and better than any Italian breakfast I have had offered to me before. Cereal, bread, fruit, yoghurts, fresh baked goods and most of all EXCELLENT COFFEE (and I am a serious coffee-ee!) was offered.

The location, although in a very quiet area just South of the centre of Rome, and the house itself in a very unprotentious corner within the tiny "via Sinuessa", was perfect in terms of access and if you are a healthy walker could easily walk to the colosseum within 25 minutes. We did do A LOT of walking in our 4 days but we did also experience the very cheap bus service which comes from the adjacent street.

I think it's always important for anyone reading a review to hear the limitations and my girlfrend and I would both agree that the room temperature was perhaps lower than we'd anticipated (this is no way reflected by the shower temperature which was extremely pleasant). However my opinion on this matter is that Giacomo's personality might not "suit" a lavish central heated environment which certainly in warmer conditions would not be neeed (this was an April visit which included rain!).

This part here should not really be taken as standard, but merely an indication of the standard of hospitality being offered. On our last night Giacomo offered to cook for us, something we had read about but not something we based our stay on. In some ways we were perhaps disappointed beforehand that we would not get to spoil ourselves on our last night. HOW WRONG WE WERE as Giacomo cooked up two beautiful courses, provided lushious red wine and even introduced us to some "interesting" Italian desert (I'm still not sure if he was perhaps taking the p*** a bit here :-D ). His friend Roberta re-joined us for this evening and the two are very intelligent and gave good conversation. As I say, please don't expect this part - there is part of me that will always like to think that we were special guests but the truth is Giacomo is lovely.

In summary, the Zen House is a homely and peaceful B&B that succeeds in bringing people together. Giacomo works tremedously hard to ensure guests are relaxed and enjoy their stay in Rome. I would have absolutely no hesitation in recommending anyone to Zen House B&B and will actively do so where possible.

Grazie mille Giacomo. Ciao.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple