“Great location and good room”
Review of Richmond Hotel

Richmond Hotel
Ranked #1,000 of 1,272 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed May 12, 2013

The location is simply great, you can see monumento emanuele vittorio ii from your window. Colesseo is just in 5 mins' walk.

The room is modern and clean, stuff are nice and friendly. Don't expect too much of the free breakfast as it is very common in Italy that hotels are with poor breakfast:)- but it is nice to go up to the roof where they serve breakfast as you can have a lovely view from there.

I stayed in a single room facing Largo Corrado, could be noisy because of the traffic but it didn't affect my sleep at all. The shower could be difficult for tall people as it is very small, else is all fine.
Took a look at their double room when i was checking out and it looked very nice.

I would recommend for your stay in wonderful Rome.

Room Tip: i had a room facing the main street, could be noisy with window open.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed April 25, 2013

We stayed three days at this hotel.The staff were amazing, very helpful and courteous. The room was comfortable and clean and had a lovely view of the Forum. The hotel seemed to be two hotels coupled together which was a bit strange as we seemed to be in a older part and had to walk through a labyrinth of corridor. I am guessing that this is a short term issue as there seemed to be a lot of work taking place on the lower levels.
The location is perfect, there are restaurants and bars located all around the hotel and its a great base for exploring Rome.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 15, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel last week for 4 nights. Aside from the location, its no great shakes. Nice staff, decent room, small beds, VERY small bathroom, shower had no shower curtain or door so the bathroom was soaked after a shower. It was clean and the location is amazing!!! 150 meters from the Colosseum and across the street from the Roman Forum.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 16, 2013

After reading the reviews on TripAdvisor I had few illusions about what our stay at the Richmond Hotel would be like and it lived up to those expectations. The location is great, easy walking distance to the Roman Forum and the Colosseum. We found the staff friendly and helpful, especially the young woman who's name I missed but helped us out quite a bit. The breakfast was included and that's about all I can say. The hotel itself seems to be under repair or reconstruction, at least I hope that is the case, with exposed outlets and wiring. The wall to our room looked like the paint was allowed to run down the walls, the toilet leaked around the base, the flush device wanted to fall off the wall, the beds were modern I guess and comfortable enough but not 4 star, one of the halls has strange red lighting so that it felt like a brothel and getting around the hotel was like wandering through a maze. So keep all that in mind when making your reservation.
Worth the money if you are just going to sleep in the room but if you want more I recommend staying elsewhere.
Once again, the staff did seem to make the best of the situation they have there I just wish they had a hotel to go with the service.

Room Tip: Be specific on room location if you don't want to have to wander.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Venlac
Reviewed February 23, 2013

My wife and I have just made our first visit to Rome after far, far too long a wait. I have phsical walking difficulties and we were primarily looking for a hotel with a good location. The reviews for the Richmond seemed to vary very broadly but one point remained.... the location.

When we arrived we were given instructions to reach our room. One lift to the first floor a walk to the "old" hotel and then to the 3rd floor. I didn't know whether purple walls and red lights is appropriate for a family hotel but in the newer area was at least clean, even if the walls were chipped in places and a fire door fully open throughout our stay.

The transition is then to the old building down two steep steps, without hand rails or any form of support. This was not acceptible for any anybody with a disability. You proceed through what appears to be the defuct bedroom 104 onto the corridor, which was much now less modern or acceptible. Wires were protruding from the wall alongside the lift. Live perhaps, but they were just carefullly avoided. Then the lift to the 3rd floor. The first allocated room had only 2 bedside lights. A further light simply didn't work and fell to pieces when touched. Again there were taped up electrical wires coming from the wall. It was so dark it was impossible to read. It had neither chairs to sit or a dressing table etc. Very sparcely supported.

I approached reception and to be fair the duty manager came to inspect and find a different acceptible room. We were offered a room with a 4 foot bed (or metric equivalent). For a mature! couple this was plain silly. We were finally offered a larger room and provided with the additional seating. Better. It was very hot, as others have recorded. Heating but no air-con. We were happy to open the shutters and windows to allow the temperture to drop but other comments about the noise are then all too true.

We found no instructions about the use of the TV, the emergency escape routes or any hotel regulations or helpful notes. This would not be important other than it is advertised as 4*. Finally found an english speaking film on channel 681, having started at 1 and moved ever forward, afraid to give up in case the next one should be english.

The room was well serviced daily. None-Smoking rooms, except the cleaning ladies were smoking as they worked.

The wi-fi was advertised but unavailable from the bedroon. No connection either with the laptop actaully touching the sign saying "Wi-Fi Point". Managed finally to get a connection sat just 6 feet from the reception desk, where I believe the router was located. Wasted money on a connection package for a particlar software which proved impossible to secure. I simply wouldn't stay here needing wi-fi.

Bathroom was without hot water for the whole of our 4 day stay and the showere was an over the bath hand held affair with no wall support and unused due to the water. Glad to get home for a hot shower, but at least lucky that it was February and we avoided getting sweaty!

Breakfast was on the roof terrace. Access was by 2 flights of stone steps, covered by thin carpeting. There were again no bannisters/hand rails and trying to reach the terrace for me was a nightmare. I had understood that access from the 3rd floor meant that you could walk on that level to it, not to a 4th/5th floor level. Again, if a 4* hotel the breakfast was not acceptible. I am sorry to say that I prefer tea rather than coffee. Containers of T bags for all manner of fancy fruit teas were available, but I managed to find only 2 bags, 1 of Yorkshire Tea and 1 of Dar Jeeling that gave a reasonable result. There was yogurt. for 2 days only plain and on the other 2 days of our visit, there was the addition of banana. Breads were just 2 types with a very small selection of chesses and hams etc. remembering that this was February, and the terrace not fully weatherproofed, birds were flying round and landing on the breakfast display. It was also none too warm.

There was no lounge in the hotel, or bar etc. You simply have to use your room. There are many bars and pizzarias nearby and the delights of Rome itself, but again, 4* establishments should be suitably equiped.

We have no complaints about the staff. Indeed one totally agreed that it was not upto the 4* standard and all tried to be helpful in arranging taxis and making sure that we could manage.

It was all very "Tired" in our area of the hotel. Not up to standards expected but we are told that this is not untypical of Roman hotels.

A long review to give as much information as possible. We all have our opinions but having stayed all over Europe from remote mountain village hotels to 5* city centre venues, this is one I would never want to visit again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front are very noisy if the windows are open
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank NevilleM2306
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This was such a wonderful!! Hotel! The price,service all was such fun and excellent location! Walked everywhere! Very laid back feel,clean,quiet,wonderful!! Staff so friendly and helpful and breakfast was wonderful there with a view of what seemed
Ike all of Rome!

Room Tip: All are great!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We were in the beautiful city of Rome four days. Only finding of hotel near the Colosseum and the Area of Venice is plus. For the rest only a minus, starting with number which should be repaired for a long time. Hot water that goes, isn't present. Couldn't replace number. Breakfasts with a good look on a terrace. At eviction levied a tax on the child.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family