“Stumbled on this place for lunch - a highlight”
Review of Il Falchetto

Il Falchetto
Reserve with
Il Falchetto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #438 of 12,448 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Colonna
Description: Born at the end of 19th century, Il Falchetto is one of the most ancient restaurant sitated in Rome and it achieved the record of "Antica Bottega Storica", honor given by the city of Rome for its 100 years of activity.
San Jose, California
“Stumbled on this place for lunch - a highlight”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

We had many lunch experiences in Rome that were OK but not compelling and our time at Il Falchetto stood out as a highlight. My wife had a salad and minestrone and I had a pasta and we both thoroughly enjoyed our meals. We paired our dishes with the house wine and had a reasonably economical and delicious experience. We sat on the patio and had the chance to people watch a bit (tourists and locals) and had a great time. We expected through the rest of our trip that this might be the norm and were somewhat disappointed. I'm not sure this is a "must" in Rome, but if you find yourself in the neighborhood, don't hesitate.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“We didn't like”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We came to this place based on the reviews of TA, and found it worse. Didn't like the atmosphere at all. Not a cozy place. Too many white lights. Didn't like the food. I had a lasagna that was dry and a bit burned. My husband had a tagliatelle a bolognese, full of watery sauce. Not a good experience.

1 Thank Kcpt33
Charlotte, NC
“Not for us”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Our review of this restaurant is in some ways very strange. On one side the food is excellent, although pricey. On the other side some of the practices of the owners are, in our opinion, just plain wrong. However, it is their restaurant and they can do what they want. This review is simply meant to inform other guests what to expect. We found this restaurant by using our trusted tripadvisor app. It is downtown and near the tourists sights but it is also hidden away in an alley and I thought “that is a good thing”. We were greeted by an eager waiter who took us to our table on the patio. Inside the restaurant was empty and the all the outside tables were occupied by tourists, not a good thing. The waiter brought over the a thick leather bound menu (another not so good thing). Moreover, he also dropped another thick leather bound menu and that happened to be the wine list (anther warning sign). The prices listed on the wine list were, lets just say, outrageous. We are in wine country there should be no reason that one has to take out a loan to buy a bottle of wine. Since it is our custom to drink wine at lunch and dinner, we asked the waiter if they had a house wine. A common practice in Italy. Yes they do and it a bottle of Frascati, a local wine that is grown all over the hills around Rome. Great can’t be that much, boy was I wrong. I am getting ahead of myself. We ordered a bruschetta, and a mozzarella caprese. Both were really good but the bruschetta consisted of just one slice and the caprese had a tiny mozzarella ball covered in sliced tomatoes. For 10 euros I expected more. For the first course my wife ordered bucatini amatriciana and I had penne puttanesca. I have to tell you that these were some of the best pasta dishes we ever had and we have been traveling to Italy for over 10 years. Since we are both fans of artichokes we ordered two. Not bad but not really worth the 7 euro/piece, to be fair it is not really artichokes season and we should have known better. Ok, time to settle the bill. Here is the shocker, if you have been paying attention you already know that we had two apps, two pasta dishes, two vegetables , a bottle of wine and a bottle of mineral water. The total,………..83.50 euro, now that is $113 FOR LUNCH. They must be joking. A close look at the bill and discovered the problem, 18 euro for a cheap bottle of Frascati that could have been bought at the local market for far less than 5. Then, to add insult to injury, they charged a 10% for service. In all my years of travel all over Italy that was the first time we were charged a service fee. SO, bottom line. If you would like to eat very good pasta dishes, I totally recommend Il Falchetto. If you are like us that enjoys wine with their food, be prepared to pay thru your nose. It is not for us and will not be back. The sad part is that with some very few changes in their practice, lower the price of wine and eliminate the service charge, I would think that they would have a steady stream of customers to fill up the inside as well as the outside. Maybe they do not have to, with these prices they do not need a lot of business.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Decame
Moscow, Russia
“Deserves a michlen star!!”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

My friend and I went there for a dinner. To say that we liked there is to say nothing!! All was great - the food (seafood - our most adorable type of food) was tasty, hot (not in a spacy way, meaning that it was seconds between being taken away from kitchen!!), plentiful, aroma was smashing!! ))... Service was attentive and not annoying... very warm!!
We took a bottle of the local red wine, bottle of still water, niokki, seafood starter, two seafood pastas (different ones), latte machiatto - all was about 100 euro. (Got home made biscuits and even two shots of limonchellas as chef's complimentaties) ))
Nice verandah, though all is a bit tight...

UK
“A great find”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Had lunch on our last day after happening across the restaurant on our way back from The Forum. Great quality food with a sophisticated touch, at a reasonable price and the most professional service during our 4 day stay. Recommended.