“Great location!”
Review of Hotel Virgilio

Hotel Virgilio
Ranked #272 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Stayed in February with my boyfriend. We were very pleased to find that the hotel was within a walking distance to many tourist attractions. The staff at the reception was pleasant and friendly at first, but when we asked if we could borrow a socket converter they instantly seemed annoyed with the question. We were a little surprised by that as we arrived late at night and we were the only ones checking in. Thankfully the rest of the stay went very smoothly for us. The rooms though small were comfortable and absolutely spotless. Great service at the restaurant and very nice food. Overall a great hotel for a city break, central location and comfy beds.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 19, 2014

Smart Reception Area - but a quite unfriendly man on reception - not welcoming at all. Other staff friendly and helpful.
Good location for seeing all the major sites of Rome - but although on a side street - very noisy. If you have a front room (which we did) traffic/street noises until at least 2.00 am. Breakfast OK but nothing special.
Room small and shabby (spent as little time as possible in room) and the most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept on - it was wide but short - I am only 5'5" and my feet hung over the end of the bed! The mattress was so lumpy (protruding springs) that I woke every morning with sore hips! Needs replacing - the mattress I mean - not my hips!! Only 1 hard upright chair to sit on so one of us had to sit on the bed - and no public lounge area. Spent as little time as possible in room - too busy site seeing and eating out.
Non-existent sound-proofing between rooms - TV, toileting noises, guests talking and on 4th night was kept awake by snoring virtually all night by person in room next door - could not drown noise out even with pillow over my head!!
No spare electric socket. In order to charge up my mobile phone I had the choice of dragging the fridge away from the wall to access a socket (at floor level) which meant unplugging the fridge & TV; or dragging the bed away from the wall to unplug the bedside lamp!!!
Nice shower room - very clean - room service could not fault.
The fridge was damaged and didn't seem to be working anyhow - door taped up.Broken glass in picture on wall (dangerous). Curtain tie backs taped up with sticky tape! Chipped bedside cabinet.
Having said this we had a great time in Rome but would not recommend nor return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask about whether room is at the front or back of hotel. Ask about age of mattress!!!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Had a short break with my son,staff were lovely,room small but all that we needed,and great loction for sights and train/bus station-couldnt connect to wi-fi though;!Wasnt a problem,I didnt go away for that

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Stayed here in February with my husband and in-laws. Very central, short walk to the colloseum etc, very close to bus stops and metro (this has to be seen to be believed in rush hour). Hotel is spotlessly clean, beds are comfy, breakfast is adequate. Is exactly as advertised. Hotel bar wasnt open when we were there but an excellent bar on via national is only 5 mins walk away. Would stay here again.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Fortunately i didn’t pay for my room here and used some of my Avios as a 'reward'. I certainly would of been disappointed if i had paid, the rooms were tiny and we were given a room on the bottom floor literally on a street level with two single beds.

I've never been to prison but i imagine they and Virgilios use the same be supplier, my partner suggested we'd better off lying our mattresses on the floor they were that bad.

That being said its in a brilliant location and the breakfast was surprisingly good.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2014

The location is great. Rooms are not bad. Though, for the value, it's not remarkable at all. You could get the same quality for less money in Rome (a friend of mine did - Hotel Nizza nearby).
Wi-fi connectivity was just awful (some kind of stupid code needed to be fulfilled every time I tried to connect). However, to be just, I have to say that it's a problem in all the city. I guess IT is not the strong side of the italians.
Service was only great on the first day on my stay. Then the cheerful and helpful administrator was replaced by the one who was not that helpful and not at all cheerful. It seemed like I bothered him with my questions.

Yes, there were noisy nights, though that really didn't bother me. It wasn't that bad.
Still, the experience was average and I would definitely not be back in this hotel on my next stay in Rome.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Akulnev
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Stayed here in April 2013 and enjoyed our stay here. Comfy clean rooms, excellent location with walking distance to all major attractions. Breakfast was nice and staff were friendly. Only annoying thing was they did not have the room we booked so we were upgraded for 1 night, which is good but having to pack all our stuff up to be moved the next day was a bit of a pain. But would definitely stay here again!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple