“Location, location”

Ranked #363 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Location, location”
Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is only 15 minutes walk from the Colosseum and the Forum with a tram stop just up the road. The Metro station is only 5 minutes away. A few restaurants nearby, make it a pretty good location. There are a few negatives though. We had a room at the front of the hotel which was affected by the noise of the traffic, particularly from the trams. We were a bit disappointed in the breakfast, coffee, some ready made dry toast, croissants and jam. There are no coffee making facilities in the room and the mini bar was empty. Not bad for the price though

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tony p

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed May 29, 2014

I just came back from Rome and stayed at Donatello Hotel. After staying at other small hotels during my trip such as Florence, Paris and London I was really disappointed about this one in particular. It was really dirty eventhough they "cleaned" daily. I regret not taking pictures of the bathroom for everyone to see. It is disgusting to take a shower there. Breakfast is minimal like one croissant one regular bread (both not fresh at all) coffee, milk and butter. The area is ugly and scary, but there is nothing the hotel can do about that. We asked about the AC, and they said they will repair it the next day and never happenned, it was really hot. The also charge for the WIFI.
The only thing we liked about the hotel was the customer service at the reception and the waitresses during breakfast time. I hope they read this and start doing some changes to get better reviews.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank beaucoup8

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

leeds uk
Reviewed May 22, 2014

Read the reviews about the hotel before booking with jet2 package. Looked up the area on Google map /earth before leaving for the holiday and began to worry about the area. Got the Terravision coach from the airport to the railway station and began to walk to the hotel with my Google map instruction. Was disillusioned with the neighbourhood but found hotel with no problems. Room not ready on arrival (2pm) Had an annex room separated from the hotel which was comfortable and spacious but road noisy disturbing at night.The duvet had no cover on so asked staff for a cover,but they didn't seem to understand. also requested extra pillow that never arrived. Breakfast as all reviews have said very basic,even the juice was diluted. Handy area for transport but locals warned us to keep an eye on our bags. Easy to get to centre and attractions. Got Roma pass and Vatican card (had to pickup from st Paul's square) which was handy for skipping queue and transport..Hotel value for money but possibly not recommend to friends.

Room Tip: Ask for upper room at back.we requested quite room which was for the noise from hotel but not traffi...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank elaineLeedsUk
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Overall the hotel was pleasant. Friendly, helpful staff. Decent location... not too far from the Colosseum, some restaurants. Our room was tiny! Especially by European standards. The beds were pretty awful. The bathroom was nice, updated. Breakfast was simple, but a good way to start the day.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank phxtravelguy
Huddersfield
Reviewed May 5, 2014

My husband and I and our friends, another couple, were moved to this hotel by Jet2 Holidays after our original choice had been block-booked to accommodate people visiting Rome for the canonisation of two former popes.
The Hotel Donatello is quite a long way from the city centre - just inside the Aurelian Wall near to the Porta Maggiore, so I was a little concerned about the distances we would have to travel to get to the sights. However, the public transport system was fine - we used our Roma passes on trams, trains, buses and the urban railways. Not an integrated transport system as in many cities but fine. Two trams (No 5 and 14) and at least two buses went past the hotel and a third tram (No 3) went from the Porta Maggiore to the Colisseum.
The hotel was very clean and the rooms, though not spacious, were very comfortable and decorated in a typical Roman manner with elaborate coving and mock 18th century pictures. The bed was comfortable. There was also a small fridge. The en-suite bathrooms were clean and soap and shower sachets were replaced daily. We did not use the heating/air con system as the night temperatures were comfortable without.
We were at the back of the hotel on the top floor and had a small balcony with a table and two chairs. View overlooked neighbouring courtyards and gave us a breath of fresh air when we opened the doors. A nice place to sit and plan the day's excursions.
The breakfast was as we expected in a continental 3-star hotel - bread rolls and croissants (fresh) with butter, jam and honey. The coffee was rather weak, as was the orange juice but it was fine and was served by very pleasant staff.
The reception staff were very helpful - Giovanni booked us a table after our late (8.30pm) arrival on our first day, and another member of staff booked us a taxi for our departure to the airport.
The hotel is not in one of the better districts but we never felt uncomfortable. Just a five minute walk away on Viale Manzoni there were four restaurants to choose from - we liked La Taverna Italiana but also went to the one on the same side of the street and the one opposite La Taverna. Both fine but more expensive.
In summary, a very clean, comfortable 3-star hotel. Friendly, helpful staff. Rather out of the city centre but good transport links. We went on a Jet2 city break but, judging by what we paid for the package, the hotel was very good value for money.

Room Tip: Room 413 had a jacuzzi bath.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank HSHudds
Waterford, New York
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I should have read the reviews of this hotel before I booked it with Gate 1. I have waited 5 months from my visit to see if I could get this horrible experience out of my mind. I have been traveling and leading trips for over 30 years and this is the worst customer service I've ever seen. I stayed there with my wife in early October 2013. The temperatures in Rome were in the 70F to 80F range during our stay and the hotel did not have air conditioning. I was told they had just turned it off due to cool weather. I checked with previous reviews and it wasn't working even in June. I complained at the desk several times to no avail. I tried to reach Gate 1 Rome; however, they were closed over the weekend. When I returned, I sent an email to Gate 1 about my experience and they contacted the owner who said that the temperatures in Rome were in the 50F range and that no one had complained about the AC. The owner called us liars. I have pictures of tourists wearing shorts and TShirts. The room temperature was in the 90F range at night and since the hotel was right on the street, you couldn't leave the windows open. Doesn't sound like 50F to me. The breakfast was also something out of a 3rd world scenario; stale hard rolls and lukewarm coffee. Of course I wasn't aware of the really great fare that they offered to everyone else. I never saw it. Since Gate 1 wasn't willing to take us seriously, it's my recommendation for fellow travelers to not be fooled by their prices. You often seem to get less than you pay for with them. They offered me $50 off my next vacation with them and completely missed the point. $50 doesn't makeup for a ruined vacation and all the others that are willing to suffer in silence. No more Gate 1, no more Hotel Donatello.

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Frederick A
Lund, Sweden
Reviewed April 18, 2014

Very nice hotel near Collesium and à nice neighbourhood and good restaurants. Friendly and good service. Clean and nice room and nice breakfast. We will come back anytime.
Very nice breakfast in a fine atmosphere.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms out too the mainstreet if you have problem with noise from traffic
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

2 Thank Bodil N