“rome”

Ranked #341 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Basel, Switzerland
“rome”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

stay at the hotel was far from being comfortable.the lone lift fails you especially when your room is on the third floor.if you decide to climb the stairs after 11 pm you have a fair chance of being troubled by a ferocious dog at level 2. the heater in the room did not function and quilt and blanket were of average quality.if you are to leave early to catch your morning flight, make sure you have instructed the reception to ensure uninterrupted supply of warm water in the bathroom.other than the convenient location[a few hundred meters from the metro terminus],every thing else needs improvement.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Patras, Greece
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I staid in Hotel California For one night in order to have my connecting flight next day.
It was suitable for me but I have to say that the price was not so good for this hotel. There are other hotel in this area with better price. The room was ok and clean but the hotel was old. A very old function elevator and small breakfact room.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Just stayed for 5 nights in the Hotel California, room was clean and beds were really comfy. Found the unusual bath in the room combination a little odd. Shower on taps but no where to hold it up and also very high bath sides, Im near 6ft tall and found it awkward. Also due to personal mobility couldnt use bath due to positioning of the walls. Breakfast was ok but by day 3 we had enough of bread and cheese!! Also wasn't too convinced over security as there was shared access to another hotel. Nice to have a free safe in the room and a mini bar even though we didn't use the facility. Staff all friendly enough, average hotel for an average price, get what you pay for.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank goodykt
Riyadh, Ar Riyad, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed April 6, 2013

It was great trip coz we changed r plan to stay back to Rome than goin to Florence . It is very difficult to get rooms without prior confirmation ... But hotel California arranged for double room after immediate checkouts , normally it takes quite some time . The staff was good to understand our problem and do the needful .......;

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Radha_1975
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Will start by saying this was my own low point of my five day trip to Rome, with the exception of the hotel I found the people of Rome, the sites and the night life to be great and was by far the greatest city I have been to on my travels.
Now as for this hotel, I had to stay in two rooms during my 3 days at the hotel.
The first room was on the first floor and although the room itself was actually very pleasent, it had so much space and a really nice old italian feel to it (or atleast that was my impression).
So now for the criticism. The first thing I noticed was the mini bar was empty (normally not important but it wil make sense to why I am mentioning this later) and also there were no towels supplied to the room, I found this very strange. Another thing to note was there was no wi fi connection in the room, so to use the internet I needed to go to the lobby. Finally the room key, there was no electronic lock on the door so I was given two very old keys to use. I will give the keys a description, two keys + 1key ring. I would describe the key ring as being the size of my fist and weighing as much as a small bag of rocks. The first key was actually as long as my hand and as my friends described it more of "a baseball bat" than a key (This key was needed to unlock two large doube doors that are leading to the corridor of the hotel rooms. The second key just a normal door key npothing strange here but my problem was having to cary this around with me and it was in fact so large and heavy that it seemed to stick through my jeans and even weigh them down a little at one side. All this inconveinence was just for one night so I could live with it.
Okay so for my second night and theird night I was moved to a room on the fifth floor. The room was alot more modern and cooling looking. The first odd thing I noticed was the shower was actually in the bedroom, second odd thing I noticed was the shower had a see through perspect door, third strange thing I noticed was the toilet room also had a clear see through perspect door. So although this seemed odd to me it was no big deal as I was staying alone but in saying that I did have two friends sharing the same type of room which meant when they were showering and using the toilet they were in full view of each other. Okay so bck to my room again no towels supplied and again the mini bar was empty with the exception of one can of heineken). But wifi was now available in this room. So to get by with showers I borrowed a tool from a friends room.
After house keeping tending my room after the second night I stayed in the hotel I was than finally supplied with some towels. Again the mini bar was not stocked up except for the single can fof Heineken (the importance of which will be made clear shortly).
So upon checking out on my final day I asked the staff to hold my bag as I left the hotel for breakfast until I returned. They agreed with no problems. So upon returning from breakfast I requested my bag. This is where the trouble began. They informed me the mini bar in my room had been emptied out except a single can of alcahol. I replied I know it has been like that since I received the room key. They informed me I have to pay the bill for the goods not in the fridge that according to them had been supplied. When I explained the condition I had received the room in over the two nights I was still told to "pay for the goods!". This was shocking to me. I argued my case for maybe 10 to 15 mins (at this point I also had to explain that I needed to leave asap as I would miss my flight). This didn't seem to be a concern for the man I dealt with who refused to hand me back my luggage until I payed. At this point I got a little more agressive and asked how they know I am not telling the truth. They replied with an itenerary is kept daily of the stock in every room, and also the maid who dealt with my room confirmed she had kept the itenerary and restocked the mini bar before and after my first night in the room. So as you can imagine the disgust I felt upon hearing this. I called the maid in question a lier and said your staff are not doing their jobs correctly, why should I be suffering from this. At this point the maid joined us, refused to speak english (maybe she only knew Italain) but my understanding of her tone and body language was that she confirmed her ittenerary was correct (they now informed me a bottle of water, a can of coke and a can of fanta were all missing from the mini bar). My disgust at this was at a new level, as if her lies were not bad enough the fact she was smirking at me as she said it relly turned my stomack and almost made me see red. The other issue here was the man I was dealing with actually took her side. Ater the sickening smirk left her face she left the reception to continue her buisness. The man than told me "I better pay". I said this stock isn't expensive its not just about the money here it's the the principal involved.I than said I need to speak with your manager as you are too unreasonable and holding my luggage as bargaining tool to have me pay for items I was not even supplied with. His reaction to this was to leave me without any notice into a side office where after 10mins he returned handed me my luggage and said "please accept the stock you took as a gift from the hotel". This was the final insult and even drew a reaction from my normal very easy going friend to shout "it's not a gift" and my reaction "this is a joke ot's a very sad form of extortion to which point I grabbed my luggage and left the hotel.

So although I have great memories from Rome this hotel was an absolute disgrace and the one black mark on my memories from this trip.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends