“Home from Home”

Aurelia Residence San Pietro
Ranked #147 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I stayed at Aurelia residence for 5 weeks and would highly recommend it.
I stayed in a 2 bed apartment for the first 4 weeks as I had friends coming out to stay at different times, and then moved to a 1 bed for the last week. The addition of my friends was never a problem and they were made very welcome at the residence.

I have travelled all around the world and stayed in many lovely places (I am also very critical), and I found the apartments to exceed my expectations. It really was home from home. Comfy beds, powerful showers, adequate kitchen facilities, spacious lounge area. My only complaint was the noise from the main road which after a few days I got used to and it really didn't affect my sleep.
The breakfast was an added bonus and always served with a smile by the very friendly and helpful staff.
Regards the team at the residence, I found them all to be very helpful and friendly (always had a smile or a helping hand with my Italian) however, a special mention needs to be made regards Raffeale Masiello.
Raffeale went out of his way to provide so much information regards the best places to visit and when. His knowledge of the city was comparable, correction, better than a 5 star concierge service. His suggestions and help on places to visit meant that I also visited many of the non tourist attractions and some of the most amazing restaurants which really made my trip.
Thank you to you all.
I will recommend the residence to my friends in the future.

Room Tip: The 1 bed apartments with the balcony overlooking the gardens are quieter and a bit of a sun trap on...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Hayley C
Staff D, Direttore at Aurelia Residence San Pietro, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2014

Hello Hayley, how are you? thanks for your nice words!!! you are a very nice lady and we are really proud to have you as a guest for a long time, we had time to get to know each other that is really important for humans relationships, Raffaele is a real concierge and he loves giving tips to our guests to visti not only the traditional places but more... All our staff reallytry to do their best to be usefull to each guest expectation.
Come va con l'italiano? si ricorda qualcosa? if not you will need to come back!!!
We all need to thank you and hope to see you again in a near future, take care, best wishes, Paula Estebarena & staff

There are newer reviews for Aurelia Residence San Pietro

Reviewed June 16, 2014

PROS:
1) My kids loved the spacious and beautiful apartment. We booked the 2 BR/2TB and it was much bigger than we expected. We loved the furniture and the bright ambiance.
2) The masters bedroom had a new and modern shower.
3) We looked forward to having breakfast at them beautiful Solarium with the very warm staff and the best-tasting Capuccino.
4) Simone, the one and only Front Desk staff we met was very helpful and funny. My kids loved him. He was very organized and had a prepared "orientation" for us. He referred us to Goose Pizzeria nearby which served the best-tasting pizza we have ever tried in Rome.
5) The apartment was very clean when we arrived.
6) A pleasant 15-20 minute walk to St Peter's Square where all the tourist bus stops are.
7) It was quiet in our apartment I did not notice the noisy trains.
8) Toiletries were replenished and complete.
9) Should be rated as a 4-5 star serviced apartment.
CONS:
1) The kids' toilet and bath needs to be remodeled. It's a far contrast from the new shower the masters bedroom has so the kids ended up using out bathroom too!
2) The Front Desk is not 24/7 in case there are emergencies/inquiries.
3) Cars cannot go in the compound so all bags have to be brought down in front of the gate along the busy road. I understand that cars are not allowed in for the safety and security of the guests but be prepared to bring your bags from the gate to the lift located in the lobby.
4) Guests are required to bring out their kitchen trash which can be quite inconvenient especially if you have a tight schedule and you reach the apartment late at night.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Dear Mrs Liza, hello, thanks for sharing your experience!!!! for us it is really important to receive our guest's feedback. As you said our apartments are really spacious and clean. Simon is really a very good host, and breakfast served in our Roof Garden make a nicer start of the day.
We recently renew most of our bathrooms, in some large apartments were done both of them, in some others were added one new ( because did not exist) and the other one existing was changed the jacuzzy shower and keep the old tails, and only one bathroom of 7 large apartment stayed as before but always the second bathroom is new, as per your description you stayed in this last one. We can understand that you might need service 24/7 for the moment we have a wide opening daily hours and explain everything our guest might need, also in case of emergency what to do, and if someone ask I also give my cellular number, we are not a hotel.
The residence is inside a condo with three more buildings where people live, so there is a rule that except on cases that is really need it we cannot get inside cars or taxis everytime a guest need to arrive or leave, and also for the safetyness of the courtyard where many kids go up and down. If a guest does not want to load lugagges in the entrace on the street we suggest to get inside our garage where is safe and there is not rush to load everything needed.
Regarding the trash, as we have 25 apartments we explain during check in time that if you have little trash you can leave it if you have a lot then we need the guest help and explain where are the public containers in the street, like all the italians do, the kitchen is the guest responsability and trash is part of the kitchen, we can garantee that most of the time is our personnel taking care of that, we have few policies and conditions to be respected at the apartment. Thanks again, hope to see you and your nice family again in a near future, Best wishes, Paula Estebarena & staff

Reviewed March 13, 2014

This is a great place to stay.
We stayed in a one bedroom but the same apartment could easily sleep 4 there is a bed settee in living room.
There is a large kitchen, large bathroom and a balcony the whole length of apartment.
Apartment cleaned everyday. And breakfast is included, so it's like a 4-5 star hotel with great service.
Reception we're very helpful. They give us details and directions for all sites in Rome.
Also we're able to arrange taxis and book site tickets.
We had a problem with shower head and when I mentioned it , the shower was fixed when we came back to apartment.
It's only 10 minutes walk to the Vatican and there a few nice places to eat close to the apartment.
Highly recommend this place.
It very near train line so you can hear trains if the window is open. But ther are no trains after midnight and you don't get any noise from street.
You could walk to most of the sites but we found taking a bus to some sites was a faster way.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Colin B
Staff D, Direttore at Aurelia Residence San Pietro, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2014

Hello Collin, sorry for ny delay in answering back, I really want to thank you for your nice message, guests like you make us stronger and willing of keep on giving good service, at the end tourism is HOSPITALITY, and even better if the place you are it is nice and comfortable like you said for our apartments. You described everything perfectly, do you want to come and work with us? Thanks a lot again, take care, and see you soon in the Eternal City!!!! Best regards, Paula Estebarena

Reviewed March 6, 2014

We chose this hotel on the recommendation of my husband's Italian colleague who stays here during visits to Rome. Having flown in from IAD on a flight that arrived before 8:00 AM we were grateful to be given a room way before the regular check-in time by the very friendly staff. They even upgraded our room from a Rossini/Puccini to a Vivaldi, which, because our particular apartment is situated on the ground floor, has its own courtyard! Although the apartment showed a little wear it was nevertheless clean and spotless. Even the grounds of the complex was clean and properly maintained.

Why the 3 stars instead of a 4 or 5? A few things:

1) The property is either next to or very, very close to the metro track because even with all the windows closed you could hear the train rushing by. After the first day though we kinda got used to it, for the most part.

2) The limited availability of the front-desk staff. Although we were aware of this even before we booked our stay we still couldn't help but get frustrated on several occasions. We needed taxi service a couple of nights and had nobody to turn to for help (the automated taxi service is in Italian). Another time a friend tried calling us at the apartment but couldn't get a hold of us because there was nobody to patch the call through.

3) The website states that there is daily maid service except on Sundays and holidays (there was no holiday during our stay). We arrived on a Friday and we didn't get maid service until Monday. The following day, had I not requested that our apartment be cleaned again, they wouldn't have done so. Some guests don't mind sporadic housekeeping but I do. This was one of my main concerns and I even exchanged emails with them prior to our arrival to confirm that there will be daily maid service.

While this property is a stone's throw from the Vatican it is important to know that the Vatican Museum entrance is on the side that's farthest from Via Aurelia. St. Peter's Square is a good 20-minute walk (this is an estimate since we never walked to St. Peter's) so walking to the Vatican Museum would probably take twice as long. Cab ride from Aurelia Residence to the Vatican is anywhere from €7 to €9 while a cab ride to Rome's city center is €11 to €15.

There's a Carrefour (supermarket) within walking distance (10 minutes) and a really good restaurant frequented by locals (Goose Ristorante) 2 blocks away.

There's no pavement on Aurelia Residence's side of the street (it's a busy street and cars zip by at around 40 mph) but the property's gate is set back about 3 feet from the road so when you step out of the gate there is actually space for you to stand while you wait for traffic to clear so you can cross the street to where the pavement is.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank proud_mom219

Hello, sorry for my delay in answering. We remember your nice family, you, your husband and your son, you were very friendly. We really appreciate that you wrote really your experience so detalied. I can mention also few things:
1) we are close to a secondary train station and it is know by all the guests coming as it is written everywhere, unfortunately the noise is really subjective, we are planning to change the window system to improve if. And we know as you said that you can get used to it.
2) we are not a hotel, we are a residence, it is pubblished our opening hours in the website and all the other website who work with us, and also you wrote that you knew it. We normally teach all our guests to use the telephone, and we are sorry you did not find a person who sope english from the taxi company. The taxi also stops in the squares, and there is one nearby the residence, 5-7 minutes walking. We also explain normally and tell the guest the extension number for each apartment in order someone has to call them, maybe you arrive in a busy morning that this was not explain to you, and again we are really sorry. All our guests can be reach directly the apartment without needing to pass through the reception swichboard.
3) daily maid service: change of towels, bed making and cleaning of the bathrooms (except Sundays and Public Holidays), this is what it is written in our website and what we offer, mabe you wanted us to pass a hoover more often, or maybe other more deep cleaning, but you did not mentioned a particular task that had to be done. And for sure on Monday was schedule the cleaning also if you would've not told us, as you wrote in this message.
Rome it is nice to get to know it walking, we are near the Vatican City, so closed to most of the attractions in that area, Vatican Museum as you mentioned are on the other side, but I bet who decide to stay in this neightbourhood love to walk through St Peter's Basilica and Square in order to arrive to the museum, I think is not a normal walk but one of the most pleasants one!
regardng the street we understand that you need to pay attention before you can croos to the sidewalk, we are on deal with the italian goverment to make some changes and be more comfrtable and safe when coming and going. At the end I can feel that you like it as your title is " Nice place, friendly staff", hope you will come again and maybe be able to help you while your stay and now that we know better your needs be more efficient for you. Kindest regards, Paula Estebarena

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Our family of four enjoyed our stay in Rome extra because of the place we stayed. We can recommand this hotel to every one.
Perfect location, huge and clean rooms and very nice employees.
Thanks for all the lovely cappucini

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Elodie1932
Reviewed February 24, 2014

I stayed at this hotel last weekend and it certainly did not live up to my expectations.
What you see on the website is a far cry from what you really get.

Everything, with exception of the shower in the bathroom, seemed outdated - definitely not the luxury they advertise.

I did not eat at this hotel but when I looked inside of the dining area it was again bland and old-fashioned.

At night the hotel is very noisy whereby I was often woken by cars and motorbikes driving past and also on one occasion by a woman screaming for about half an hour. All not too comforting, especially when staying alone.

When I left I had to catch an early flight and so had to check out around 7am although no one was at reception and the door was locked with the shutters down. Not a great way to leave a hotel - especially one which proclaims to be as good as it is.

Also a note, there is no pavement when you exit the hotel. You have to walk straight on to the road which is quite dangerous particularly if you have small children or luggage.

All in all, I was let down by this hotel and will not be returning nor will I recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank talktolaurie
Staff D, Direttore at Aurelia Residence San Pietro, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Hello, we are sorry for your message, but we also thank you for sharing your experience, we can say that what is pubblished in our website or the booking agencies online are real pictures of our apartments, so what you see you get, then if you like the decoration or not is personal and subjective so we accept your thought. Being in the city center of an important city like Rome it is normal to have car and motorbikes noises, so we are working on our apartments to make a better isolation of noise through the windows. The sidewalk is crossing the entrance so we understand that sometimes can be dangerous, and we are dealing this fact with the roman goverment. We are not a hotel, we are a residence, our opening hours are pubblished everywhere, when checking in we remind our guests our timetable, so the guests who leave before our opening hours have to come the prior day to make the check out formalities and then that morning leave the keys inside the apartment, it is not so wire situation at the end. We do not proclaim to be as good as... are the guests who stayed in our residence who make their own opinion of our place and share it. We never say that we are a luxury residence but a familiar and comfortable one as per our spacious apartments, so we are really sorry that you felt disappointed. For the moment we can only give you our best wishes, Paula Estebarena

Reviewed January 29, 2014

The apartment is more than we expected. Comfortable enough and very spacious. The outside gate makes you feel very safe once inside the apartment. Very close to St Peter's square. The staff is friendly.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lorraine S

Dear Lorraine, few nice words towards our residence so we just have to tell you thank you!! Your opinion is really important, we try to make feel all our guests special and our friendly staff helps a lot. Rome is an unique city and we are proud that you chose our residence. Warmest regards, Paula Estebarena