“Very comfortable and modern”

NH Collection Roma Vittorio Veneto
Ranked #140 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We found this hotel to have a very comfortable feel in a modern and bustling setting. We were very pleased with our room (#625) which was good sized with the most comfortable bed we encountered out of the four hotels we stayed at in Italy. It had a city view but the best part about it was that it had a very large terrace. Most rooms do not have balconies but this one was large enough to hold a party on! I'd say about 18-20 could comfortably be up there. There is only 1 table with 2 chairs set up however but we had our 7 friends join us for wine and it was quite fun. They were all jealous of our terrace as no one else in the group had one.

The property was very clean and the service in the breakfast area and front desk was very corteous and attentive. Housekeeping did a terrific job cleaning the room--A+! However, I'd recommend putting the tag on the door asking for the room to be cleaned because when we got back from sightseeing at 3:30pm ours hadn't been done. So we asked and it was done right away while we enjoyed the terrace views.

The location seems to be very good as it's located half a block from one of the main streets in Rome--Via Veneto. This street is home to many sidewalk cafe's and caters to the 'high end' crowd. For instance, the swanky and expensive Jumeirah hotel is located here about 3 blocks from the NH Vittorio. Also, the Subway system is located half a block away too which gave us access to go to the Vatican located only 3-4 line stops away.

There is a mini bar and AC and the ammenities are very good in the bathroom. Also, you can request an Iron and board for no charge. This was very welcome as the other 3 hotels we stayed at did not offer them--instead you had to call up and pay about 4-7 euros per item to have them pressed! And when you are traveling all your clothes get wrinkled in the suit case so doing it yourself will save you money for other things. I took them up on their laundry service for a few items so I could have clean clothes for the flight home. It was done well but cost 18 euros.

OK, here is my biggest TIP: If you must see the Sistine Chapel DO NOT GO first thing in the morning--lines will be very long. We waited for 1 hour in line. The people who were relentlessly hawking 'tours' that bug the heck out of you every 10 seconds as you near the Vatican said the wait would be 2 hours but they were very wrong or lying to sell tours that grant fast access. When we got out of the Chapel at noon there was no line at all but at 9AM everyone was there. I think people are trying to 'beat the crowds' but that's what everyone else was thinking true. The real way to do it is wait for everyone to go and wear themselves out and then go have the sights to yourself. Trust me. The other half of our group slept in and went in the afternoon and said the sights were deserted! They went to St. Peters Basilica and walked in with NO LINE AT ALL and also to the Coliseum with no line at all. We didn't see these two spots because we were exhausted from being cattle in the throng of bodies trying to see the Sistine Chapel. I must say that I didn't enjoy this incredible museum because it was just too damn crowded. It gets really annoying when everyone is trying to take a photo and you just can't move. The experience was lost in the hustle and bustle for me. Next time, I'm skipping the Sistine Chapel and going later in the afternoon to St. Peters and the Coliseum.

Room Tip: Wait for the crowds to die down in the later afternoon to visit the sights like Sistine Chapel, St...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Talldarkhandsomest

Reviewed September 13, 2012

I stayed in NH Vittorio Veneto in Sept 2012 for 1 night while traveling for business.
The deluxe room was clean, full of design and the staff was always there to assist. It has a great bar and a great restaurant and is located to a very central place. The dinner menu at the restaurant has very good prices even if the menu is a bit limited. One coffee at the room cost 3EUR but it was brought together with a plate full of handmade cookies.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view to Villa Borghese.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 12, 2012

We are not very sure what to think of our stay in this place.

The location is ok, about a 15 min walk to Trinita dei Monti, there is a bus station quite close to the hotel.

They have a big car park, prices per night depend on the size of the car. Attention: the man there only understands Italian!

The hotel is clean, BUT:

- we were told upon check in that our friends - who arrived two hours later- would have the room next to us, with a connecting door
- when our friends checked in, the room next to ours was taken and they got another one
- during the first night we woke up because our air conditioning in the room was dripping from the ceiling. We called the reception and somebody immediately came to our room. As it was late at night they couldn't do anything and we had to try to sleep with that dripping noise
- on the second night our room neighbours (separated only through this connecting door) came to their room after 1 o'clock , we could hear them talking like in our own room, they took a shower at night , one of them was vomitting... And we were witnessing all that. Impossible to sleep!
- at 6:30 the phone in our bathroom (!) was ringing, it was a wake up call from the reception, which was definitely not meant for our room!
So after two sleepless nights we decided to speak to the reception, the result was: they did not even listen to us and the reasons why we weren't satisfied. The lady there was highly unfriendly, just wanted to get rid of us and gave us the key to another room. That room was a quiet one and so we could finally get some sleep, but we are deeply disappointed that the staff at the reception did not let us explain why we weren't satisfied: without listening to criticism there is no room for improvement.

Room Tip: Don't take one with the connecting doors!!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ikkiLuxembourg
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We gave our travel agent a budget per night when booking our accommodation. In comparison with the other hotels in the same price range, this hotel was the best. It is a bit far from the main train/bus station and we had to get there by bus as the taxis are quite expensive (coming from South Africa). They are currently working on the railway lines, so we could not use the metro. It is well located in terms of restaurants and is about 15 minutes walk from the nearest hop-on / hop-off pick up point. It is a very modern hotel with friendly staff, good breakfast, access to WiFi and pleasant interior.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the four rooms with balconies. Rooms lower down have better WiFi reception.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MayvN
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel multiple times on business and every time I've had a different room type. Some are a nice size while others are small. I've had spacious bathrooms and some no bigger than a closet. They have balconies on the higher floors and some are larger than the room itself. The hotel is next to the Villa Borghese Park and down the street from the US Embassy which is surrounded by high end hotels like the Marriott, Westin, Jumeirah Grand and Boscolo Palace. Otherwise you're not near any tourist attractions but they're in walking distance if you don't mind walking thirty minutes. The internet is super slow but the rooms are clean.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Our tour was booked here, and having been to Rome many times, we knew after sightseeing all day in August heat, we would be taking cab rides back. Not recommended for sightseers, (location, location) but heartily recommended for business....expresso machine in bar area, free WiFi, wonderful breakfast buffet, modern bath. Air conditioning worked great for 99 degree heat. Very quiet in our room (but we were on Park side), to be beside busy Via Corso d'Italia and near Via Veneto. We took lovely walks through Borghese Park to Piazza del Popolo. There is a market nearby (10 minute walk), and a shortcut to Spanish Steps. Be sure to have Desk call your restaurant before you leave. The staff recommendations for us were 0 for 3...all closed for August!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Paris1scarf
Reviewed August 17, 2012

There are two parts to my review - the hotel and the employees

Let me preface by saying I am from the United States. My wife is from Northern Italy and we had been visiting her family. We also took some time to visit a few cities during our stay. We had stayed in Venice and Florence previously. We were saddened by our experiences with the staff. I think my wife was more embarassed as she always stresses to me how hospitable the Italians are.

(1) I thought it would be easy after listening to the British couple in front of me check in. When it was my turn, the reservationist suddenly forgot how to speak English. I spent several minutes pointing to my printed reservation and my passports. I was anxiously waiting for my wife to join us so she could resolve this. Eventually, the senior manager had to step in and check me in. There were no issues with the reservation, with the exception that I spoke English.

(2) The following day, my son went to the desk to ask for the wi-fi code. The gentleman working the desk looked straight at him and said " Child - do you have a mother or father?" in an indignant tone. My wife, standing three away feet answered him in Italian, He handed my son the passcode and said nothing further. Treating a guest in this manner should have resulted in disciplinary action against that specific employee.

(3) Later that day, I made the mistake of asking the front desk to exhange a 20 euro. I needed smaller denominations for taxi fare. I was told that the hotel did not have the ability to do that and I would have to pay with the larger bills. Really!!! What kind of hotel cannot provide its guest with this service?

Oh yea - the good part. The hotel rooms are comfortable, quiet and provide for a good nights rest. Truly, from my perspective there are better choices in the area.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family