“Roman tradition in a classy way”

Trattoria Da Cesare
Ranked #652 of 12,162 Restaurants in Rome
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Rome, Italy
“Roman tradition in a classy way”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

The trip to the headline of the tram 8 is definitely worth it. The restaurant is simple and is the opposite of flashy and posh if you see it from the street, but you have the perfect surprise if you sit and take your time to go through the menu. It is difficult to choose from the antipasti: I wanted them all! We took fried squid (AMAZING), hot alla diavola (with a tomato sauce, perfectly spicy), aubergine fried balls (very delicate but my last choice) and fried meat balls in a sauce of basel and parmesan (super tasty). My pasta ai frutti di mare (seafood pasta) was just amazing and the portion was generous. The house white wine was good. Final touch a set of dessert tasting (small portions of tiramisu, cheesecake, creme brulée and home made pies). To be remembered.

• Visited September 2013

HK
“Best meal in Rome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We were recommended to this restaurant by Hande of Vino Roma. Though a bit far from the city center, it's worthwhile making the trip to dine here. Cesare is definitely one of the best meals we had in Italy. Most people dining there were locals, which is a nice change from most restaurants close to the attractions in Rome. Four of us ordered more than we could eat, but we were eager to try everything. We started off with mussels with Fritti Misti, assorted fried food and beef carparcio for starters. All were excellent, but the mussels was my favorite, really fresh and cooked just right. For pasta, we ordered spaghetti carbonara, spaghetti vongole and homemade pasta with cacao e pepe. I liked the carbonara sauce, but the homemade pasta they used for the cacao e pepe was better than the spaghetti. For dessert, we ordered tiramisu, panna cotta and ice cream. The highlight was definitely the panna cotta dessert. By the end of the meal, we were so full, but were still tempted to order seconds.
To compliment the delicious dinner, the owner paired the food with two bottles of really good and inexpensive white wine. You can tell everyone at the restaurant wants you to have a really nice experience and were not out to rip you off. Must go back if we ever visit Rome again.

• Visited August 2013
London
“Good local food and an excellent well-priced wine list”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

This is a proper neighbourhood trattoria that is a bit off the beaten path, but not miles out of the city centre. I went out of my way to go here with my husband because I read a lot of foodie blogs and this trattoria has got a great reputation.

It has a large outdoor area so it was good on a hot summer night. The food is very reasonably priced and the wine list is fantastic with some of the best prices we encountered while in Rome.

We started with some fritti; fried gnocchi and a couple of suppli (roman-style fried risotto balls for the uninitiated). The fried gnocchi, as I understand it, are fairly unique for Rome and are served in a think parmesan cheese sauce. They were fantastic but extremely rich and the portion is huge. The suppli weren’t the best I have had.

Next up we split a portion of carbonara. This was the best carbonara we had in Rome, much better than the famous Roscioli version that we also tried during our holiday. I put this carbonara’s success down to the quality of guanciale (Roman bacon) which was melt in your mouth moreish.

Hubby had a very good pizza for his main while I had one of the daily specials; breaded lamb. My lamb was tasty but quite gristly and difficult to eat as the breadcrumbs concealed the bones and gristle. Overall good though.

I recommend this restaurant for good, local food and a relaxed evening. The food is not the pinnacle of quality, but it is tasty and has care put into it.

ROMA
“Astonishing price/quality ratio!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

Get the tram 8 to the end of the line (not Largo Argentina) and be prepared to be thoroughly impressed. The food here is excellent - I mean really excellent. I think possibly the best cucina romana I have had in Rome... with the exception of perhaps Da Enzo in Trastevere. We had a full meal (minus pudding). Antipasto: polpetti with pesto sauce - divine. And the melanzane antipasto was also delicious. The wine list was intriguing - lots of names I didn't recognise. The pasta was cooked to perfection. I had cacio e pepe which seemed sloppy to begin with but after a bit of movement it was obvious this was not the case. As a main I ate the carpaccio of beef, again wonderful which an incredibly generous helping of rocket and parmesan.

What is great about this place is that it's packed full of families enjoying a meal together. I loved this...as I also loved the unique grappa served: capovilla grappa made from amarone. A must try - but linger over it, not one to down in a hurry.

In the end an incredibly reasonable bill - and very memorable food.

I would rate this place excellent but I've decided on 'very good' - I need to be more discriminating in my excellents! Still give this place a try, especially in the summer months when the centre of Rome is insufferable what with tourists and street performers... the outside terrace under the vines makes for comfortable dining al fresco.

1 Thank B P
New York
“Good, but wanted it to be better”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

This is a nifty, fairly large trattoria at the end of the No. 8 Tram line (Casaletto). Easy to find and get to, imho. We had heard the food was the best in Rome. Well, the primo was tasty (home made fettucini with sauce of involtini) but lukewarm - a crime. The secondo, sauteed, then baked "orata" (fish) was outstanding. The house wine is served chilled - a plus. The service was extremely kind and friendly, but abysmally slow. Our primo arrived about 45 minutes after we sat down, our secondo about 45 minutes later. Everyone there was begging for service - Italians going up to the cash register, hunting down servers, etc. It as only about half full; so I truly don't understand why they were so understaffed. I'm sure the service problem accounted for the lukewarm pasta as well. And, scraping plates in front of the table - not good; also, possibly a result of the lack of staff. Please hire a few more people, Cesare, and you will have a great place.

1 Thank RomeTheSecondTime

Been to Trattoria Da Cesare? Share your experiences!