“Will stay again”

Crowne Plaza Rome - St. Peter's
Ranked #179 of 1,270 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed June 6, 2014

This is my third trip to Rome and I will stay again. I like the Rome Metro and this hotel is within easy walking distance (15 min). We had a great time. In fact there are some interesting gelato and restaurants within walking distance again around 15 min. If you go to Rome be prepared to walk, take a cab/metro or all the above. It is great to take the metro to a particular area and then walk and see the sights. The hotel's rooms were spacious, loved the pool and spa, staff was excellent. Very convenient.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank almenj
Grillid, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Rome - St. Peter's, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

Dear almenj,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us.

I'm delighted to hear that we met your expectations and learn your appreciation about our Hotel, location, spacious of the room, excellent staff.

Your advice and suggestions will be of great help for future guests in order to get more familiar with location, connections and our facilities.

It is our goal to consistently provide customer satisfaction and your comments are very important to us.

We very much hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Crowne Plaza St. Peter’s on your next visit to Rome!

With kind regards,
Davide Grilli, General Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,024)

Reviewed June 5, 2014

We stayed here for one night prior to our cruise, and the cruise line chose the hotel. Here are the pros: the grounds are absolutely gorgeous, the breakfast buffet was great, the staff were friendly and at attentative, the bed was comfortable and the room was clean.

Here are the cons: the hotel is not within walking distance of anything, and you have to pay for wifi, they do not provide conditioner (I think this is standard in Rome, not sure about Europe or Italy as a whole).

They have a shuttle bus that you can take in to town for 1.50 Euro round trip, which took about 10-15 minutes to the drop off point near city center. If you are staying overnight and not planning to do any sightseeing this would be a good place to stay, if you want to walk the city, I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VSPBI

Dear VSPBI,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your feedback on your recent stay prior to your cruise.

We are glad to know that you found our Hotel clean with beautiful grounds, great buffet breakfast, comfort, of with very friendly staff, spacious and clean room, outstanding breakfast.
Regarding the location, as you mentioned, the Hotel offers a regular courtesy bus (1,50€ one way, 3€ return), greatly appreciated from all our guest staying with us. The bus runs on a regular basis to St. Peter's Basilica in the morning (9-10-11-12) and to the heart of the city center (Trastevere) in the afternoon (16-17-19-20-21) and evening. Moreover 2 different public busses are available just at the doorstep of the hotel to reach downtown which is only 3 km far from our Hotel), or reach the nearest metro station and in 20 minutes discover all the main attractions in the heart of Rome. In addition Taxis are always readily available (taxi stand on site in our car park) and cost only 12 euros to get in to the city center.

The Crowne Plaza Rome-St. Peter’s is an urban resort featuring facilities that of course you won’t be able to find in a more central location such as gardens, 25m length swimming pool (also kids pool available), pool bar, Spa, tennis courts, large comfortable bedrooms and extensive free parking facilities.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us and we hope to see you at Crowne Plaza Rome St. Peters again in the future.

Reviewed June 5, 2014

We enjoyed our stay here for a short vacation. Staff is very nice and helpful! Shuttle service is excellent and inexpensive. Food is good, room was comfortable and clean. Shuttle service to and from airport is inexpensive and so is their bus shuttle to two popular drop off sites for walking about the city. What made our stay enjoyable was the friendliness of the hotel staff. They were excellent! I would stay here again.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Gaterp,

Thank you for sharing your experience and to have chosen the Crowne Plaza Rome St. Peter’s.

We are glad to learn you appreciation about our nice hotel, location, shuttle service, wonderful staff.

I have shared your review with my whole team. We are very much grateful for your compliments!

Reviewed June 5, 2014

I stayed in this hotel with my wife and 2 daughters, primarily as we could get two rooms that were interconnecting, something that seemed hard to find in Rome.
The hotel was ok, but there were lots of things that just were not good enough. My first impression of the hotel was dark and dirty. The corridor to our rooms was badly lit, and there were crisps trodden into the carpets. The rooms themselves were ok, they seemed to have been decorated fairly recently and were clean enough.
Breakfast was dreadful, in both service and food. The food was probably the worst breakfast I have ever eated in a hotel, the bacon appeared to be boiled, I assume the scambled eggs were our of a packet, if they were freshly made the chef should be sacked!!. The fruit was out of a tin, I ended up the last two days having a roll and some jam, as there was nothing else I wanted to eat. The staff at breakfast were too busy clearing tables to wait on people at tables. The first two mornings we had to go and ask someone to get us some tea and coffee. On both occassions we had to go back after 10 minutes to find out where it was, after other customers who arrived after us had been served theirs.
There was a sense that there was a lack of staff and the staff that they did have were not particularly interested. Every day the reception desk had long queues.
The shuttle bus is not great depending on where you want to be, and when you want to be there. It only runs on the hour 3 or 4 times in the morning, and 3/4 times in the late afternoon, early evening. The morning runs only go to St.Peters and back. The evening runs, only go to the west side of the Tiber, so a good 10/15 minute walk into the centre of Rome. Last time we stayed in Rome, the shuttle bus ran more frequently, and into the centre of the city.
The pool area is good, with a nice large pool and plenty of beds (late May). Unfortuntately the pool guards sole purpose in life seemed to be telling people to stop jumping in the pool!! When you had kids, thats what they want to do, and when it is 3.5 metres deep, I struggle to understand why they can't. It can't be for Health & Safety, I stuggled to swim down a touch the bottom with my toes!!
On a positive the Restaurant Manager Matteo was very helpful in organising a birthday cake for my daughters birthday which she had whilst we were there. I would also agree with other comments on going to the local restaurant at the end of the hotel, the food was good, and more traditional than the touristy ones in the city.
Overall this hotel is ok. It depends on what you want, I am sure many people will have a great stay here, but for me there were too many things that weren't quite right.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank AberdeenAndrew

Dear AberdeenAndrew,

Thank you very much for your feedback, in which you drew our attention to your experience
at the Crowne Plaza Rome St. Peter's.

We are very sorry to hear that your stay was not as positive as the ones of other guests who reported their experience on this site.

Having read your comments, I can imagine the disappointment and I therefore apologize for any inconvenience encountered.

We know that every stay experience is different and we always take seriously any feedback. I have already forwarded your comments to my Heads of Dep. I know they share our vision of providing the best guest experience possible, and am confident they will take the necessary steps to continue to improve their services and they will be more vigilant to be sure that similar inconvenience will not be repeated in the future.

We are very sorry to read that you missed completely to mention the last renovation and refurbishment in a new contemporary style (the fact that the interior designer used dark scheme color does not mean necessary that it is dirty) of the lobby, reception, restaurant, relaxing area, spa, room and the bar.

I very much hope that we can yet encourage you to stay with us again so I can put your above concerns to rest.

With Kind regards,

Reviewed June 5, 2014

The hotel was good and the service was good. We happen to come in the day before my birthday and the manager sent up a wonderful bottle of Proseco (Santome). The only issue is that it is a bit far from all the sites. They have a shuttle services that runs in the morning and the evening which takes about 5-10 minutes to get to St. Peter's Square. If you are looking for a hotel that is removed from the center then the St. Peter's Crown Plaza is the place for you. The rooms were clean, staff friendly and the grounds are very nice.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Grillid, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Rome - St. Peter's, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2014

Dear ssseeebb,

Thank you for your nice review on Tripadvisor!

We appreciate you taking the time to bring to our attention your experience with our good hotel, service, cleanliness of the room and happy to read that you loved the nice surprise we sent for your Birthday.

The Crowne Plaza Rome-St. Peter’s is an oasis of peace where to recharge after a long day in the crowded and bustling city Centre. We are an urban resort featuring facilities that of course you won’t be able to find in a more central location such as gardens, 25m length swimming pool, pool bar, Spa, tennis courts, large comfortable bedrooms and extensive free parking facilities.

The feedback we receive from valued guests like yourself, enables us to keep up the good work.

We look forward to welcoming you again at the Crowne Plaza Rome-St. Peter's.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

Circumstances led us to the Crowne Plaza St Peter's and we do not regret it at all in spite of a couple of missteps. We loved it there and would gladly go back.
This is our experience.

Staff: unfailingly nice. A special greeting to Raffaella at the front desk who made check-in a pleasant experience.

Location: yes, it is away from downtown Rome, but this makes it a very peaceful hotel where it is actually possible to relax away from the crowd and noise.
We did not use the shuttle. We took a bus (right around the corner) to metro station Cornelia and from there the metro will take you just about anywhere in Rome. definitely to the main visiting sights. If you can read a metro map, you're set to go. Tickets are not expensive.

Room: We were given an upgrade to a suite and really cannot complain about the room. It is spacious and well appointed. Very comfortable bathrooms with great courtesy products.
It is better to look at the view from the balcony looking straight ahead of oneself. You can see the pool and the garden. Do not look down because that'll be the bins and all kinds of supplies.

Hiccup 1: after plugging in the kettle, the power went out in the sitting room and a bathroom at 11:30 pm.
Someone came in and restored the power with a promise to fix the kettle the next day.
The next morning, we reminded the front desk about the kettle. They were aware of it.
Around 11pm, my husband plugged the kettle in and the power went out in both rooms.
As I happened to have more clothes on, I went down to reception in bathrobe and slippers while my husband was left in pitch darkness using his phone as a light source. Nobody knew why the kettle hadn't been changed. The front desk had logged it in. The technician has logged it in.
We now have an edge over the other guests as we know how to fix the electrics at the CP St Peter's, but, dear General Manager, if you are reading this, we could have been electrocuted and all that valuable knowledge would have been lost.

Keys: no problem with the key cards.

The pool: nice area, nice pool. Very pleasant.

The restaurant and hiccup 2:
The food does its best to hide that it's not as nice as the staff while the staff do their utmost so the guests won't notice they are way better than the food.
My lamb was dreadfully overcooked to the point of being inedible. The staff reacted quickly and offered another dish. That dish was very good.
I don't think the chef has ever eaten real fries or he would realize they have nothing in common with what he allows on the plates. But the wine is good.
If you're not too tired to go elsewhere as we were on that first night....

Bar: very nice staff.

Breakfast: this hotel really has a problem with food.
Dear General Manager, your breakfast is not good. The ham is plasticky, the little sausages are encased in something so artificial they actually bounce when you try to spear them, you should be able to serve fresh orange and not that scary stuff, and I can get better ricotta from the Italian shop in my city. The French must wince at the croissants.
Please, this is Italy, home of culinary delights and fresh delicious food. Forget the "American breakfast" that is really below par and serve plain fresh Italian products. The guests are aware they are in Italy. If they wanted to have a worse breakfast than in Dallas or Manchester, they wouldn't be in Rome.
Also, that little service island right in the breakfast room? Not a good idea.
Guests are sitting next to stacks of dirty dishes. Conversation is difficult because staff are frantically stacking clean cups and saucers. we are also treated to rather loud professional discussions between the staff. One waiter seemed particularly overwhelmed and kept telling the other two off. Not pleasant.

Other little tidbits: what comfort to have a taxi stand right on the grounds.
For restaurants nearby, see my reviews of Da Arturo and The Nocetta.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank imforestgirl
Grillid, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Rome - St. Peter's, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2014

Dear imforestgirl,

Thank you for your review and to have chosen our Crowne Plaza Rome St. Peter’s!

I am very glad to learn that you found our hotel great and that you loved our staff, especially Raffaella. I will share your feedback with her and she will receive a recognition card from myself.

I have forwarded your comments regarding some hiccups to our Head of Dep. (engineering, Restaurant Manager, Executive Chef etc.) for review. We know they share the vision of providing the best guest experience possible and we are confident they will take the necessary steps to continue to improve their quality.

Enjoying our food and beverage offer whilst staying at the Crowne Plaza Rome St. Peter’s is very much part of the overall experience so we will continue to work hard.

Please rest assured that we will review your comments and take any action we feel is required.

Once again, I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us and I hope to see you at Crowne Plaza Rome St. Peters again in the future.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

I booked this hotel based on the reviews posted on this forum and am pleased to say have not been disappointed.

The primary reasons for staying at the Crown Plaza St. Peters were:

* Kids eat free when accompanied by a paying adult
* Two pools (indoor and outdoor)
* Free Wifi
* Breakfast Included

We arrived from Pisa by Train, then jumped on the Metro across town to Baldo Degali Ubaldi Station for 4 Euros (2 Adults + 2 Children (FOC)). The walk from the train station to the hotel was slightly longer than we'd expected, however we were laden with suitcases. Although only a 20 minute walk to the Metro we used Taxi's for much of our stay. These ranged from 8 - 15 euro into the city.

The hotel does have a bus service charged at 2 euro per person per trip which runs nearly every hour to and from the city (am drop-off and collection point is different to the pm drop-off and collection point).

The hotel in itself was of good standard, well staffed and clean. The outdoor pool (not heated) opened at 9am and closed at 7pm with the indoor pool (heated) operating the same hours but restricted to over 18s only. The gym was well equipped and open from 5.30am.

Breakfast was varied and served in one of the main restaurants. Hot and cold buffet, with tea, coffee and prosecco available. Unfortunately on two occasions the hot buffet was a little cold and the staff seemed a little rushed but this didn't concern us to much in light of the variety and availability of food.

We ate in the main restaurant one evening and was very pleased with the level of service and quality of food. Kids ate for free with paying adults and both enjoyed what they had (Steak and Chicken) so the bill was reasonable.

As with all hotels i stay in WiFi is important and here it was spot on. Free and Stable. You'll need a code for each device.

The room (354) was part of the Family Package we booked. Of reasonable size and inoffensively decorated with a TV, Fridge, Trouser Press, Safe, free standing lights and a table and four chairs it had a section "boxed off" as the second bedroom. This was decorated in bright colors and contained bunk beds, TV and a desk. The bunks had 3ft cuddly toys on for the kids to squeeze while watching their own TV and Video!! (Yes Video not DVD). The partitioning of this area didn't go right to the ceiling so there wasn't the privacy provided by built second bedroom. The bathroom was of a reasonable size, clean with bath and shower and plenty of fresh white towels. Two bathrobes were included.

On a negative note, drinks from the bar were sightly expensive, with two beers and two soft drinks adding up to 28 euros.

The location seems to be much disputed. It's not in the center of Rome - you'd struggle to find a hotel of this size in the city with two pools. Its a 15 minute taxi ride to the Vatican City and about 30 minutes into the city center (Trevi Fountain). Locally there isn't much. A small collection of shops about 15 minutes walk where you can get bottled beer, wine, crisps etc and a couple of small restaurants, some which provide food to go. We used Giardino DiMiuzzo twice, once for a take out and once to eat in.

Finally the hotel offers a shuttle service to the Airport for 12 euro a head which applies to children too. A taxi to the airport cost us 30 euro, so if your a couple then the shuttle is the cheaper option.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank BigLee40
Grillid, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Rome - St. Peter's, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2014

Dear BigLee40,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay at our Crowne Plaza Rome St. Peter's.

I am delighted to read such a gleaming report about our Hotel, staff, facilities and thrilled to hear that we met your expectations.

Regarding F&B prices, allow me to put on record that they are comparable to all the Bar& Restaurant in Rome of the same level.

Davide Grilli – General Manager