“First Time in Rome”

Crowne Plaza Rome - St. Peter's
Ranked #178 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We used our Holiday Inn Reward Points to book this hotel, i should say its not in walking distance really to Romes city center but there is a buss out side and the train is about a mile away as long as your okay with taking public transportation its a pretty good deal. The hotel its self is okay but not overly memorable and note that you do not get free breakfast even if you are a reward member. there also is not anything to close to the hotel for dinner or shopping so expect to have to travel back into the city for meals. The only other down side was that if you plane lands early you wil not be able to check intill 3 or 4 so either sleep on the plane or you could be like us and just be zombies as you explore the city the first day.

Okay enough of the bad though.. This hotel really wasn't so bad.. i may say that because we were not paying for it but still i did not mind having to use transportation and im glad that i had to go back out for dinner because walking Rome at night is magical! i fell in love with rome on this trip and it will forever have my heart. i am going back in 2015 and will not be staying not b/c i did not like it but I plane on renting an apartment instead with another couple.

So all in all if you have free holiday inpoint heck ya stay here because there isnt many other closer options but if you are just looking for a hotel i would recommend something a bit closer.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Grace W
Grillid, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Rome - St. Peter's, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Dear Grace W,

Thank you for your review and to have chosen our Crowne Plaza Rome St. Peter’s to redeem your IHG rewards club points.

Allow me to put on record that everything, including location, package details, reservation rules, is clearly and fully stated on IHG reward nights section (breakfast is never included exception for Holiday Inn Express). We heartily recommend our guests to read it carefully to avoid unpleasant surprises!

We try to do our best to assign the rooms upon arrival despite to our policy (check-in 3pm/check out 12pm) and even if we are fully booked the night before it is our aim to give assistance to the new guests arriving and allocate the room reserved as soon as we can.

We look forward to welcoming you again at the Crowne Plaza Rome-St. Peter's.

Kind regards,
Davide Grilli, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,060)

995 - 1,001 of 3,060 reviews

Reviewed January 10, 2014

I was in Rome for 2 nights on business. Previously I'd stayed in the Intercontinental. but i thought - this hotel is near St Peter's and near the Autostrada - probably a good compromise. I expected to be able to stroll to St Peter's in the evenings...

Ho, ho.

the hotel is miles from anywhere. And it seems to be aimed at tourism.

So. Rooms are ok. But nothing special (and strong noise pollution). Breakfast is ok. But nothing special. Staff is pleasant.

For leisure, I would stay in the Intercontinental. For business, I would stay here.

But don't expect too much.

Room Tip: One with no neighbours would be best
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear ebookpunkie,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your feedback on your recent stay and to have chosen our Crowne Plaza which is only 3km (1,8 miles) far from St. Peter’s Square!

Regarding the location, I would like to underline that the Hotel offers a regular courtesy bus (1,50€ one way, 3€ return), greatly appreciated from all our guest staying with us. The bus runs on a regular basis to St. Peter's Basilica in the morning and to the heart of the city center (Trastevere) in the afternoon and evening. Moreover 2 different public busses are available just at the doorstep of the hotel (only at 1,5 euro cost to reach downtown which is only 3 km far from our Hotel), or reach the nearest metro station and in 20 minutes discover all the main attractions in the heart of Rome. In addition Taxis are always readily available (taxi stand on site in our car park) and cost only 12 euros to get in to the city center.

We would like to point out that our hotel is an urban resort featuring facilities that of course you won’t be able to find in a more central location such as gardens, 25m length swimming pool, pool bar, Spa, tennis courts, large comfortable bedrooms and extensive free parking facilities. The Crowne Plaza Rome-St. Peter’s is an oasis of peace where to unwind after a long day in the crowded and bustling city Centre, with a good value for money.

Once again, I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us and I hope to see you at Crowne Plaza Rome St. Peters again in the future.

With best regards.
Davide Grilli-General Manager.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

We spent new years eve at the hotel and had a night to remember plenty of food, music and wine. This hotel is not in the centre of Rome but there is a taxi rank in the car park and a bus stop outside the gates as we were on organised tours the hotels location was not a problem to us. Yes the hotel is dated but the room was quite large with a balcony which was a bonus. The room was clean and well equipped as was the bathroom. Breakfast was good with plenty of variety. Wi-Fi connection was not free but not that expensive at 3 euro for a hour. There are 2 beautiful large parks within walking distance to the hotel which was a pleasant surprise. We did however have some trouble with the in house computer/printer trying to print a boarding pass but the problem was soon rectified by the helpful staff on duty. If you don't need a hotel in the centre of Rome this hotel would be fine

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pandl55

Dear pandl55,

Thank you for the review and for your positive feedback after you stay during new years eve.

We are thrilled to hear that we met your expectations and that you loved the memorable party, comfort of our room, breakfast helpful staff who pays attention to the details by providing exceptional service.

It is our goal to consistently provide customer satisfaction and your comments are very important to us.

The feedback we receive from valued guests like yourself, enables us to keep up the good work.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us and we hope to see you at Crowne Plaza Rome St. Peters again in the future.

Best regards.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

This is our fourth visit to this marvellously located hotel. Prices are up and the hotel is looking tired. The mixer in our bathroom was broken, the shower rose black and tatty and the horrible plastic bath tub that doubled as a shower with dreadful plastic curtains sticking to you while you try to shower are just not on in a so-called 5 star establishment. The petty charges for the shuttle, wifi (which I insisted they take off my account as a priority member) and a small bottle of mineral water to give pills to my sick son from the room cleaning trolley also irritated. The positives are the amazing location and super staff in the dining area (especially Alfredo - personality plus and six star service) so I guess we will return. The hotel desperately needs a refurb at those prices though as our other hotels were better appointed and much better value through the trip.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Forti
Grillid, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Rome - St. Peter's, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Dear Forti,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your feedback on your recent stay and to have chosen again the Crowne Plaza Rome-St. Peter’s !

We are very glad to learn your appreciation about the location and staff.

On the other hand we are sorry to read your comments about the condition of our Hotel (thank you for the 5th star, our category is 4 star). We are very sorry to read that you missed completely to mention the last renovation and refurbishment in a new contemporary style of the lobby, reception, restaurant, relaxing area and the bar.

We have discussed the points you raised with our Chief Engineering and Housekeeping and as a result we are confident they will be more vigilant to be sure that similar inconvenience in the bathroom (mixer broken, shower rose, cleaning trolley) will not be repeated in the future and they will take the necessary steps to continue to improve their services.

We are happy that you will consider to return in the future and look forward to welcoming you at the Crowne Plaza Rome-St. Peter's.

Best regards,

Reviewed January 7, 2014

The Crown Plaza was a great hotel, lovely breakfast and facilities in the hotel were excellent

Rooms were very clean and comfortable!

The hotel is quite a way out of the centre, but the regular bus from the hotel is reasonable, so I would say use this where possible, however if you need them taxis were always lined up outside

As its located in the middle of a park area we did suffer from alot of insect bites so be prepared for that

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Grillid, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Rome - St. Peter's, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Dear emaloulou,

Thank you for the review and for your great feedback!

We are thrilled to hear that we met your expectations and that you loved the Hotel facilities, breakfast, cleanliness and comfort.

With best regards.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

This will not be a kind review. Parents, remove your children if you read it out loud.

We came to Rome for a romantic Christmas. We had it, but not because of this hotel. We changed hotels half way through our stay.

From the beginning there were problems. At check in, the piano was so loud I could not hear the reception so I missed important information about the hotel. When I went to complain, I was given an air that I was less than the staff. I was told to read the literature in the room if I wanted information about the hotel. Next day we found our room had not been cleaned. Cards left under the door said that we asked for our rooms to not be serviced. However, this was not true. When I asked the front desk why this happened, I was told it didn't matter how it happened, did I want the linens changed or not. Again I did not feel like a valued guest.
Early in the morning, the fire alarm went off. It sounded for over an hour. People evacuated in the rain, but no staff came. I went to the front desk to find help and was told there was no problem and they had no personnel to assist guests at that hour. They refused to call the fire department to verify there was no fire. I asked for personnel to be sent out to let guests know what was going on, the ones out in the rain, but was told I should tell them. If this is the emergency response plan for the hotel, had there been a true emergency, dozens of people could have been killed. I wonder if the laws in Italy provide for criminal penalty for a total lack of emergency plans and a total lack of training for hotel management.
When I checked out and mentioned the poor response to the alarm, I was asked by the staff to complain to IHG Corporate about management only having 3 personnel on staff for a hotel with hundreds of guests. They were hopeful that IHG would make local management come in-line with proper staffing. Is IHG listening?

It seems a small mater after that, but the food was bland and not what one would expect from a Crowne Plaza. We preferred to eat out whenever possible.

Do NOT stay at this hotel, for your own SAFETY, do not risk yourselves. I am at the highest level in this chain's reward program, Platinum, and I was treated poorly.

Room Tip: No room is safe at this hotel until they get emergency planning done!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Peter E
Grillid, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Rome - St. Peter's, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Dear Peter E,

On behalf of the Crowne Plaza Rome St. Peter’s, I am grateful to you for taking the time to highlight the ‘issues’ you experienced during your stay with us.

Having carefully read your comments, I can only imagine your disappointment and would like to apologise to you for any inconvenience experienced.

Safety and security of all guests and staff is our primary concern and is always a topic, when it is questioned, which we review and address very seriously without exception.

Please allow me to assure you that we do in fact have an emergency policy and plan in place for emergency situations, such as when a fire alarm sounds. The incident you refer to however was caused by the stupid and reckless behaviour or of an individual who thought that falsely sounding the fire alarm would be an amusing joke.

As per our policy we immediately checked the area where the alarm was sounded and discovered very quickly that everything was 100% in order and that there was absolutely no risk whatsoever to the safety or wellbeing of our guests or members of staff.

I am sorry you felt a lack of security but I can assure you that all our team is fully and professionally trained in dealing with emergency situations of all kinds. They know very well that the first action to take in any situation of this nature is to alert the fire department.

As I mentioned before, the safety and wellbeing of our guests is a paramount concern for us and we would never do anything to compromise that.

Kind regards,
Davide Grilli, General Manager

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Location not great, meant to be close to airport but still quite a drive. Airport transfer can be purchased but driver was disinterested and dropped us at wrong terminal even though we had clearly indicated which terminal we needed.
Room was larger than others in Italy but had no charm or ambiance. Bathroom was old and needed a refurb. Bath/shower was narrow and cramped. Overall the bathroom was shabby.
Friendly service in bar area and at breakfast. Breakfast overall was adequate.
There are much better places to stay in Rome and we would not return here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a refurbished bathroom
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michelene H

Dear Michelene H,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback following your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Rome-St. Peter’s.

Whilst I was pleased to note that you appreciated our service I do apologize for the attitude of the driver during the transfer to the airport.

We have discussed the points you raised with our Company providing this service for us and as a result we are confident they will take the necessary steps to continue to improve their services.

Allow me to put on record that as mentioned in any information we provide (paper, voice, website) the airport shuttle service is only limited to terminal 5.

I have noted your comments about room and bathroom. We will of course take this on board when we will have the opportunity to refurbish.

I very much hope that I can persuade you to consider trying us once more.

Kind regards