“Out of town so use the free bus!”

Crowne Plaza Rome - St. Peter's
Ranked #184 of 1,263 Hotels in Rome
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Out of town so use the free bus!”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

The Crown Plaza was a great hotel, lovely breakfast and facilities in the hotel were excellent

Rooms were very clean and comfortable!

The hotel is quite a way out of the centre, but the regular bus from the hotel is reasonable, so I would say use this where possible, however if you need them taxis were always lined up outside

As its located in the middle of a park area we did suffer from alot of insect bites so be prepared for that

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Grillid, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Rome - St. Peter's, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear emaloulou,

Thank you for the review and for your great feedback!

We are thrilled to hear that we met your expectations and that you loved the Hotel facilities, breakfast, cleanliness and comfort.

It is our goal to consistently provide customer satisfaction and your comments are very important to us.

The feedback we receive from valued guests like yourself, enables us to keep up the good work.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us and we hope to see you at Crowne Plaza Rome St. Peters again in the future.

With best regards.
Davide Grilli, General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 1, 2014

This will not be a kind review. Parents, remove your children if you read it out loud.

We came to Rome for a romantic Christmas. We had it, but not because of this hotel. We changed hotels half way through our stay.

From the beginning there were problems. At check in, the piano was so loud I could not hear the reception so I missed important information about the hotel. When I went to complain, I was given an air that I was less than the staff. I was told to read the literature in the room if I wanted information about the hotel. Next day we found our room had not been cleaned. Cards left under the door said that we asked for our rooms to not be serviced. However, this was not true. When I asked the front desk why this happened, I was told it didn't matter how it happened, did I want the linens changed or not. Again I did not feel like a valued guest.
Early in the morning, the fire alarm went off. It sounded for over an hour. People evacuated in the rain, but no staff came. I went to the front desk to find help and was told there was no problem and they had no personnel to assist guests at that hour. They refused to call the fire department to verify there was no fire. I asked for personnel to be sent out to let guests know what was going on, the ones out in the rain, but was told I should tell them. If this is the emergency response plan for the hotel, had there been a true emergency, dozens of people could have been killed. I wonder if the laws in Italy provide for criminal penalty for a total lack of emergency plans and a total lack of training for hotel management.
When I checked out and mentioned the poor response to the alarm, I was asked by the staff to complain to IHG Corporate about management only having 3 personnel on staff for a hotel with hundreds of guests. They were hopeful that IHG would make local management come in-line with proper staffing. Is IHG listening?

It seems a small mater after that, but the food was bland and not what one would expect from a Crowne Plaza. We preferred to eat out whenever possible.

Do NOT stay at this hotel, for your own SAFETY, do not risk yourselves. I am at the highest level in this chain's reward program, Platinum, and I was treated poorly.

Room Tip: No room is safe at this hotel until they get emergency planning done!
9 Thank Peter E
Grillid, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Rome - St. Peter's, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear Peter E,

On behalf of the Crowne Plaza Rome St. Peter’s, I am grateful to you for taking the time to highlight the ‘issues’ you experienced during your stay with us.

Having carefully read your comments, I can only imagine your disappointment and would like to apologise to you for any inconvenience experienced.

Safety and security of all guests and staff is our primary concern and is always a topic, when it is questioned, which we review and address very seriously without exception.

Please allow me to assure you that we do in fact have an emergency policy and plan in place for emergency situations, such as when a fire alarm sounds. The incident you refer to however was caused by the stupid and reckless behaviour or of an individual who thought that falsely sounding the fire alarm would be an amusing joke.

As per our policy we immediately checked the area where the alarm was sounded and discovered very quickly that everything was 100% in order and that there was absolutely no risk whatsoever to the safety or wellbeing of our guests or members of staff.

I am sorry you felt a lack of security but I can assure you that all our team is fully and professionally trained in dealing with emergency situations of all kinds. They know very well that the first action to take in any situation of this nature is to alert the fire department.

As I mentioned before, the safety and wellbeing of our guests is a paramount concern for us and we would never do anything to compromise that.

Kind regards,
Davide Grilli, General Manager
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Location not great, meant to be close to airport but still quite a drive. Airport transfer can be purchased but driver was disinterested and dropped us at wrong terminal even though we had clearly indicated which terminal we needed.
Room was larger than others in Italy but had no charm or ambiance. Bathroom was old and needed a refurb. Bath/shower was narrow and cramped. Overall the bathroom was shabby.
Friendly service in bar area and at breakfast. Breakfast overall was adequate.
There are much better places to stay in Rome and we would not return here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a refurbished bathroom
1 Thank Michelene H
Dear Michelene H,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback following your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Rome-St. Peter’s.

Whilst I was pleased to note that you appreciated our service I do apologize for the attitude of the driver during the transfer to the airport.

We have discussed the points you raised with our Company providing this service for us and as a result we are confident they will take the necessary steps to continue to improve their services.

Allow me to put on record that as mentioned in any information we provide (paper, voice, website) the airport shuttle service is only limited to terminal 5.

I have noted your comments about room and bathroom. We will of course take this on board when we will have the opportunity to refurbish.

I very much hope that I can persuade you to consider trying us once more.

Kind regards
Davide, Grilli General Manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Tired cramped rooms, the gymnasium doesn't open early enough and the heating system was on the blink. Bathrooms were just ok but small and poky. Staff friendly, the batman is top drawer, but others just going through the motions. There must be better value for money options in Rome. This is a conference hotel - nothing more.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank Vinylstatistics
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Rome - St. Peter's, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Dear Vinylstatistics,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the accommodations received prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
Case Manager
IHGCare
California
Reviewed December 25, 2013

We flew in from the US to board a cruise ship the following day so that I can only report that the
check-in was flawless, the rooms nice and quiet, the breakfast good and service helpful. Transfer
to the port (Civitavecchia) was by bus directly from the hotel and that is why we chose the Crowne
Plaza. The hotel itself is in a nice, quiet location, not in the middle of the city. We would stay here again.

Dear Professor32 ,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience at Crowne Plaza Rome St Peter’s.

We are very glad to know that you found our Hotel nice and that you will consider to stay with us again in the future.

We very much hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Crowne Plaza St. Peter’s on your next visit to Rome!

With best regards
Davide Grilli, General Manager
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

We were only here for one night because we were in transit to a cruise. This hotel provides reasonably priced shuttle service to/from the airport, and downtown Rome. Be sure to get a shuttle schedule in advance because it is limited 1p-4p. This Crowne Plaza is not the place if one wants to walk in central Rome and able to come and go with ease. The main disappointment was that there was no working air conditioning. We did stay there in mid November but would have slept better in a cooler room. Restaurant prices seemed expensive but there is little choice in the area so one is captive unless you are up for a 15 minute walk along narrow streets to a busier area. Would we stay there again? Not sure.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Fred494
Dear Fred494,

Thank you for your recent review following your stay with us.

I'm disappointed to note that we did not live up to your overall experience.

Please rest assured that we will review your comments and take any action we feel is required.

Regarding the comment about A/C, thanks to the low temperature experienced during November, the Italian regulation, in order to respect the environment, they do not recommend the usage of the air-conditioning anymore in this period of the year.

Once again, I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us and I hope you will reconsider to stay at Crowne Plaza Rome St. Peters again in the future.

Kind regards
Gosport, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 20, 2013

I've stayed in many Crown Plaza's in the Middle and Far East but this one was not up to the normal standard I come to expect from this group of hotels. A group of us stayed there for three nights. The reception told us our rooms had been up-grade. First impressions there was a chuck of wood missing from the entrance door to our room looked like the door had been forced. There were also chucks of wood missing from the bathroom door frame. The bathroom floor was grubby particularly around the bottom of the bath. The towels could have been of better quality and the bath taps had loss their colour. TV channels were poor and had to pay extra for any good TV channels, films etc. There was dust on the legs of some furniture. The beds were comfortable with plenty of pillows. The A/C was very hot and unable to control. There were two normal size double beds in our room and all our friends.
Breakfast was not included in our room for some reason, however the was a deal on if you paid for your breakfast when you checked in there was a reduction from 18 Euros. to 14Euros. The breakfast buffet hot food was cold as the trays were only kept hot by warm water no under tray heat the staff kept the lids open if you closed them staff would open them. On the first day the bread for toasting had mould on it, when I told the staff it was removed. The toaster was the slowest I've ever used in a hotel. Cakes, cheeses, rolls etc. were plenty full.
The evening meal buffet was expensive at 28 Euros. and the selection wasn't that good. The service in the restaurant was slow. The La Carte menu was OK but again expensive. The lounge bar area was quite comfortable but the service was slow, the waiter keep looking at us then disappearing in the end I went to the bar and gave him the order and the drinks were expensive 14 Euros. for a small cup of tea and lemonade and lime drink.
I was surprised we had to pay for the shuttle bus from the airport and into town never had to do that before, and it needed a good service as the brakes pads must had been down to the metal considering the noise they made.
The reception staff ladies were friendly and helpful but unfortunately some of the men just ignored you.
Very disappointed with the standard of this Crown Plaza and would not recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 362
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Malcolm D
Grillid, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Rome - St. Peter's, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear Malcolm D,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your feedback!

We are very sorry that your stay was not as positive as that of others on this site.

To begin with may I take this opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced whilst our guest.

We have discussed the points she has raised with our Chief Engineering, Housekeeping, Restaurant Manager and as a result we are confident they will be more vigilant to be sure that similar inconvenience will not be repeated in the future and they will take the necessary steps to continue to improve their services.

We know that every stay experience is different and we always take seriously any feedback and comments.

Once again we apologize if your stay did not live up to expectations and we do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our Crowne Plaza in the future and to restore your faith in the hotel and us.

Your sincerely.