“Anyone Interested in English Literature Must Visit”

Keats-Shelley House
Book In Advance
More Info
$152.63*
and up
Rome Uncovered: A Fully Private Walking Tour...
Ranked #115 of 2,034 things to do in Rome
More attraction details
Owner description: Known as Casina Rosa, this small museum is devoted to the authors' works and memorabilia.
Reviewed November 12, 2017

Fascinating place to go back in time, providing a peaceful, tranquil place enabling you to share the same views that Keats and Shelley had during their time in Rome. The house is packed full of Romantic Poets archives. A must see during your time in Rome. Tip: the house closes at 1pm for lunch so make sure you start your visit no later than 12 noon.

2  Thank uncleglyn
in 11 reviews
"biography"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed November 2, 2017

Had wanted to visit for years. Last minute decision to stop in. Interesting for any bibliophile and setting puts you back in time. Great sense of romanticism and interesting to remind us that Rome has been attracting artists, scholars, and poetic souls for ages. Can enjoy for 30 mins or longer. Interesting book shop supports museum.

1  Thank melvet1209
Reviewed October 29, 2017 via mobile

Well I had always wanted to visit this museum, but in my several trips to Rome I never took the time, until now. OK, that's done -- and it only took about 30 minutes of my time.

I can honestly say that the highlight of my visit was the very clean and pleasant restroom just behind reception. So for €4, I got that, and a few quiet moments among the dark and dusty books and bits and bobs of memorabilia scattered about a few mostly empty rooms.

I agree with a previous post... how much richer an experience this would be with the house transformed into a living museum with originals (or near-originals) of furniture and artifacts from the poets' time. (See the very rewarding Dickens House in London as an example.)

As it is, the house is hardly for the casual visitor (even if she has a couple of degrees in English literature).

Reviewed October 11, 2017

The Keats-Shelley House is practically right next to the Spanish Steps, so it would be a pity if you went to the one and neglected the other, particularly if you are a literary enthusiast! many of us would have read and studied Keats and Shelley at school, so a visit to this House would be a must. It's a lovely place to go to, even for a short time, just to get the feel of these men of romanticism.

See more reviews
Reviewed October 10, 2017

I've wanted to visit this house for a number of years but each time I've been to Rome it seems to have passed me by, thankfully not this time. Keats' poetry has long been a significant part of my life and standing in the room in which he died, looking out of the same window at (more or less) the same view as the man who wrote Endymion was an experience I wasn't prepared for.

The whole place is amazing and needs a lot more time to explore than its size might first make you think. It was an odd sensation to step off a busy street in Rome and into what felt like an English country house, but one I certainly enjoyed.

On top of this the staff were outstanding; there was a very friendly and helpful Irish lady at the entrance who even had patience with my clumsiness when I lost and then subsequently found my receipt/ticket and the girl sat in the main part of the building was on hand to answer any questions.

I'd recommend anyone with an interest in Keats' work to come here, I confess I'm not as well-versed in Shelley's work but I'm sure it's a must for fans of his as well.