“Fine location but unfriendly staff, not best value, and doesn't make accommodations if non-Italian speaking.”

Hotel delle Nazioni
Ranked #218 of 1,272 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed April 27, 2014

I stayed at multiple hotels in both Rome and throughout Italy during my stay. On my first pass through Roma at the beginning of the trip, I stayed at the Westin Excelsior. I appreciated it at the time, but much more after my stay at the Nazioni. After the Westin, I stayed in both Florence and Siena and had wonderful experiences (friendly and knowledgable staff, clean rooms, accommodations for non-Italian speaking travelers, etc). I actually speak decent Italian, but my friend does not).

Upon walking into the Nazioni, we were greeted by a desk clerk who never once smiled - major contrast to the very friendly service we'd received throughout the rest of Italy. I thought it was just him, but though out the rest of our 4 day stay, we'd walk into the hotel and never once, regardless of the time, was any of the staff friendly aside from the porter who was overly friendly and expecting a tip.

I travel both throughout the US and internationally almost weekly for both work and pleasure. I would rate the Nazioni as "fine". I'd never recommend to a friend.

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank Palindrome_8
Write a ReviewReviews (1,212)

Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

The location of the hotel was very good, central to everything. The room was a bit on the small side, which is to be expected, but it was very nice. We also enjoyed the breakfast as the food was good and there was plenty. Our biggest disappointment was the overall lack of friendliness. With the exception of the bellhop and cleaning staff, everyone else was very cold, especially the front desk staff. Location is one thing, but when you stay in a nice hotel, you certainly should feel welcomed and we did not.

Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed April 24, 2014

We were very disappointed with some aspects of this hotel. We deliberately booked into it a sit said it had access for disabled travellers but found this not to be so. Also their service was not up to the mark. When we booked I stated that we were arriving very early in the morning after a long flight from New Zealand. We did not expect the room to be ready but we did not expect that they had already toldthe previous occupants they could have a late check out. We were told we would have to wait until 2pm for a room! But they could offer us another room on the fifth floor. I specifically asked if it had disabled access and was assured it did . The room was small but they are all small here. The shower was not a walk in shower but rather a step up and climb and squeeze in shower. Once you were in it you could not move it was so tiny. The toilet was far too low for disabled access. However the room was very clean. The Tv did not work and we had to call the maintenance people several times to get it to work. Each time we were assured they would come at once but it took over an hour. The wifi in this hotel may be free but it is usseless on the fifth floor- do not book in if you want access, even in their own internet service on the ground floor it constantly cut out. The one good thing I like about this place was their generous and tasty breakfast. i thought this was extremely good value

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at Delle Nazioni (our first in Rome). I can't praise the hotel high enough, great positioning in the heart of everything. Close to the Trevi, Piazza Navona and The Spanish Steps but the real reason for the glowing review - is the staff. They were extremely friendly and helpful. I would certainly make this my first port of call when staying in Rome again. If you get a chance to eat in Le Grondici (the onsite restaurant) then do so. I had the fillet steak - it was awesome. The 2nd night we returned for drinks having eaten out that evening and was given a compimemtary cheese board by the waiter and chef to go with the wine we'd ordered. Old fashioned service in a clean, tidy and very pretty location. We will be back.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RobDebenham1
Reviewed April 4, 2014

Very good location in the centre of Rome, close to Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps. Clean, comfortable bed, spacious room.
Breakfast set up as a buffet included eggs, bacon, toast, bread, cereal, fruits, yogurts, and many other things.
Staff were friendly and provided a lot of information. We were able to arrange taxi through the hotel.
Will stay at the hotel next time.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Marga3
Reviewed March 28, 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at Hotel delle Nazioni for five nights on our first trip to Italy. This hotel was a mix of good and bad.

Pros:
* The location was great! Near the Trevi Fountain and within walking distance of the Metro and all of the sites was wanted to visit.
* Breakfast was delicious! There wasn't much variety but that was okay for me.
* Though the room was small it was quaint and comfortable.
* We could hear live music every night in our room, which was very enjoyable.
* Wi-Fi was included with our stay, but it was limited to 4 hours per night. (I believe that this was a courtesy due to the company we booked through - typically the hotel charges quite a bit for Wi-Fi access).
* The hotel was clean and the decor was attractive.

Cons:
* The gentleman who checked us into the hotel was very cold; it seemed as if he was bothered by us being there. His demeanor did not change throughout our stay. The rest of the staff was hit and miss; the bellhop and housekeepers were always pleasant but most of the front desk staff was not. At first I thought maybe this was a cultural difference, but upon visiting hotels in other Italian cities I came to realize that most of the staff at this hotel were just unfriendly.
* We received a free buffet lunch as part of our stay. I was very disappointed in the offerings and am so glad that we had not paid the 16 Euro price to eat there.
* There was a gap at the bottom of the shower door, which made it impossible to keep the bathroom floor dry.
* Upon checkout we were informed that we had to pay for local calls we had made from our room. We had to call several times because the phone near our bed was not operating correctly. It was not until we used the phone in our bathroom that we were able to complete the call. I was disappointed to find out that we would be charged for the calls as this is not typical of other hotels that I have stayed in.
* In addition, we were charged for two "restocking fees" upon checkout. I have no idea what a "restocking fee" is nor was it explained to us. We did not touch our in-room mini-bar (we never do because they are so over priced) so the only thing that I can think of is that we were either charged for someone else's mini-bar fees, the charge was a fraud, or we were charged for housekeeping (during our 5 night stay housekeeping visited our room twice (though I would have preferred that our room stay untouched during the entirety of our stay) only because housekeeping insisted on cleaning our room). We also weren't provided a receipt for the charges upon checkout; this may have been our fault for not asking but we were in a hurry as we needed to catch a train.

Overall, the stay was okay, though I would probably not choose this hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mugirl05
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Just back from a first time visit to Rome staying here. Overall a great experience with pluses being, friendly, genuinely smiling staff, the location, a comfy bed in a spacious room, clean, some good eating places nearby and a nice little area to sit on the roof.

Small minuses - could be noisy if you are not a great sleeper, pillow was a bit hard (for me!) and coffee at breakfast was not to Italian standard, so I skipped that. But no hesitation in returning or recommending.

Room Tip: I would think that if you are in central Rome hotel then there will always be noise - part of the pa...