“Great location and wonderful experience”

Colonna Palace Hotel
Ranked #442 of 1,290 Hotels in Rome
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Great location and wonderful experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2008

We recently spent 1 night prior to a cruise of the Mediterranean. We had 2 rooms. When we arrived early, the gentleman at the desk suggested we wait for rooms facing the square and so, we left our bags and started exploring the city.
The lobby was beautiful. It had a small bar that was great for coffees. The hotel faces a parliament building that has 24 hour police security, so we felt very safe.
The rooms were small by US standards. Each room had 2 windows that opened to the square. The rooms were decorated in a very dark fabric but very clean. The room had an inroom safe. The bathrooms were all marble and very nice.
The front desk was very helpful in advising were to eat, and calling taxis for us.
The breakfast on the roof top deck was wonderful. It was a full breakfast of meats, cheeses, eggs and pastries. The location was very close to the Pantheon. We would stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Northing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank montana2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Hebrew first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2008

I had to work for the week while in Rome. My travel agent got the booking wrong and only booked me a single room. But the hotel staff were excellent - very helpful, friendly and accommodating in sorting out a double room for me and my husband. Look...this fabulous little gem is in an outstanding location within walking distance of everything. Its neat and tidy, simple, and there is absolutely no better breakfast view in Rome!!! What better way to enjoy a coffee and pastry while overlooking an ancient obilesk in one direction; the President going to work in another; St Peter's Dome in another; and Capitoline Hill in another!!!

All up - this fabulous little hotel is brilliantly placed for work or play and you can't go wrong. For history buffs, read the history of the Colonna family and it all makes this spot even more interesting.

Thank you to all the staff of the Colonna Palace....your efforts are appreciated,

• Liked — Breakfast view, location and relaxed atmosphere
  • Disliked — no internet access in rooms
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank cbinlondon
Bucharest, Romania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2008

The choice has been determined by its location, very in the city center, few steps from Via del Corso and the main tourist attraction. The hotel is typical for Rome, old building, cozy, medium sized and services are good. I had a single room (small but well equipped) with a nice view to the Parliament square. The best there was the breakfast, which takes place at the roof top of the building, where a nice cappuccino can be combined with a spectacular view of Roman roofs. Perfect for tourists.

• Liked — Location and breakfast site
  • Disliked — Tiny room (single ones)
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
Burnley, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2008

2nd visit at a different time of year

Having spent several winter visits in Rome we decided on a last minute summer break for my birthday and decided to return to the Colonna Palace, mainly because of its location, which is central to everything. The breakfast on the roof terrace on a summer morning is magical, although the breakfast itself is very repetitive, there was plenty of it

This time our adult daughter accompanied us complete with a broken arm in plaster. However the hotel arranged adjacent rooms and we were set fair for a good time. Then I noticed we had no drawer space, only hanging space in the wardrobe. As we were staying a week this seemed crazy. However a visit down to reception sorted it out and they moved is to a very nice room further down the corridor but still close to our daughter with lovely views towards the Italian Parliament Building.

The rooms are kept spotless and they were both large with decent sized bathrooms and good working showers. The air-conditioning was worse than useless and could never get the room cooler than 29 degrees. We did complain and someone came and said it would be sorted but it never was. The furniture that some complained of being beat up have missed the point that it is supposed to look old and has been artificially ‘distressed’

The staff were friendly and helpful and one night when my husband and I went to a concert, the bar staff made sure my daughter was OK, chatting to her and making sure she was not hassled. The bar prices for cocktails (any spirit and mixer drink is called a cocktail in Rome) were cheaper than at the local restaurants. On my birthday a bottle of prosecco (Italian champagne) was on ice in our room courtesy of www.travelcounsellors.com our travel agent, and the hotel had put nibbles and nuts with it, so it was a lovely surprise after a hot day of sightseeing.

Take a folding umbrella to Rome in August, not for the rain but to use as a sunshade especially for the open topped touring buses.

A tip about Rome in August. On the 15th of August is a festival that dates from the time of Emperor Augustus called Ferragosto. This is a day when Romans leave the city and free concerts and events are held so that those who cannot leave have something to do. We went to a fantastic one on the Spanish steps complete with opera singers, dancers and firework. Take note - Between 7am and 9 am the city is deserted, so those of you who like me are keen photographers can fly round the city photographing all the sites without people on them. The streets and piazzas are empty. Even when the tourists wake up it is still a lot quieter at all the sites and queues are not much in evidence. The Vatican Museums are closed the 14th and 15th, but an early start meant we got in within 15 minutes of it opening the day afterwards. Do not miss the Doria Pamphilj Gallery, round the corner from the hotel which is the largest privately owned art collection in the city. Rome now charges to go into the Ancient Forum but the ticket includes the Coliseum and the Palatine Hill and if you are over 65 it is free. Get your tickets at the Forum gates not the Coliseum as the queues are long there and once you have got your ticket at the other places without queues, you walk pass the Coliseum queue with your head held high !
I would go again the the Hotel Colonna palace at the drop of a hat. I recommend the restaurant Zio Ciro opposite the Maddelena church just 5 mins from the hotel. They do wonderful pizzas, salads and grilled steaks and chops to die for and very reasonably. They have another branch opposite the Pantheon but it does not have the same menu, no grill! Enjoy

• Liked — large room with good quality toiletries and friendly staff
  • Disliked — air conditioning quite poor, but windows opened and it was very quiet at night
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank quasargal
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2008

We stayed at the Colonna Palace for 3 night in July. The location is excellent- walking distance to most tourist sites. It's also very safe as it's patrolled around the clock being next to a government building.

When we checked-in the gentlemen who helped us recommended a restaurant to us & we hadn't even asked him for a recommendation. He also made note to write his name on the card & told us to present it to the restaurant & we would receive a special discount or gift. I saw this same gentlement who checked us in the following evening & he asked me if we went to the restaurant he recommended & I told him that we went to another excellent restaurant that was recommended in my Rick Steve's book. You could tell he was little pissed off by that. I make a point of never going to restaurant recommendations when they write their name on the card because that usually indicates there is some kind of kick back involved to this person. Be wary of anyone that gives you a restaurant recommendation & then writes their name on the card & tells you to present this when you arrive.

We had a triple room that was a decent size. We were located on the 6th floor. The A/C did not work in the hallway & barely worked in our room. I spoke to other people in the elevator & asked them how their A/C worked & they said barely. I also called the front desk to have them check it & they said it was at it's max. The also said the A/C in the hall was broken. When we were there the temps were in the 90's & humid and for as much as we were spending on this hotel you would have thought the A/C would work well. The furniture in our room was also well worn out & not what you would expect when you spend this kind of money. I've seen hotels in the states that were rated 2 stars that had much nicer room furniture then this place. I mean it looked really old & scratched up.

They had a nice breakfast area on the top floor with an outside terrace overlooking the city. The breakfast was good with scrambled eggs, meats, cereals, pastries & juice- no complaints there.

The best thing about this place is definitely it's location, but next time I would shop around & probably not stay here as I thought it was WAY overpriced for what you got. I also thought the front desk people had an attitude & were barely friendly. It's not what you expect when you spend this kind of money.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — A/C did not work well. Not a good value for what you paid.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

Huntington Beach, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2008

We booked our stay through a travel agent, but chose the hotel based on reviews on Tripadvisor. My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights from 6/17 to 6/20 for our honeymoon as the beginning of our trip to Europe. It was our first time to Italy and we weren't too sure what to think of the hotel from the outside, but as soon as got to our room, we were SO happy! The room was much larger than we were expecting since rooms in Europe tend to run on the small side. We had a queen bed on the 3rd floor overlooking the square. The pillows are pretty flat, but that's pretty much the only thing I can find remotely bad. The room was very clean, we also had AC, which ran great, a decent sized bathroom, the location is minutes in walking distance to most major sites and we felt completely safe since there's a government building in the same square as the hotel and it's patrolled 24/7. The breakfast buffet is served on their roof terrace that overlooks the city - what a great start to a busy day! Breakfast includes scrambled and hard boiled eggs, croissants, rolls (not the sweet kind, more like dinner rolls), sliced peaches, yogurt, cereal and deli meats and cheeses. The only internet available is a station in the lobby and it's 5 euros for an hour, which is great, but it's also dial-up speed. There's a few internet cafes nearby that offer high speed for about 10 euros an hour if you need it. Also, I have to mention that the hotel staff (we encountered just about all of them throughout our stay) was very friendly and helpful - we had asked for restaurant recommendations, directions, postage and calling us a taxi. We will definitely stay here again upon our return to the eternal city.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — The internet kiosk
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jenum24
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2008

Although I stayed here in May 2007, I am finally getting round to writing a review ( as I should for other places too since I find these reviews so helpful when I book!)

Normally I am looking for child friendly locations but this trip was with two girl friends so it wasnt an issue. We had 2 nights, 3 days to "do" Rome so we wanted somewhere central and this was perfect.

We walked the length and breadth of Rome in that weekend and this hotel seemed to be the centre of the city! We walked to the Colluseum and the Vatican with no stress at all and it is a hop and skip from the Trevi Fountain so we were able to "pop" there for last minute shopping on the last day. The Spanish steps are nearby too and shopping around the corner.

The hotel itself is quite basic, even a little shabby in places but staff are friendly and rooms clean. We spent relatively little time in it, we didnt eat or drink there and cant comment on bar. It was a place to lie our heads after a day exploring the beautiful city and for that purpose alone, I would have to give it top marks.

We felt very safe ( three women together) as I think there is some kind of police headquarters across the square from the hotel ( I could be corrected here) but day or night, it felt safe. I have sometimes gone up a star to "feel" safer when travelling with small children.

I would stay here again, I would bring the children here as long as we didnt spend too long in the rooms....some are quite small. For an adult touring Rome.....it's perfect!

• Liked — Feeling of Safety and Central Location
  • Disliked — a little musty in places